You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Split View 2+ Documents

Is there a way to have 2 documents open at the same time and have a split view of both documents on your screen that I can do? Because right now I can have multiple documents open, but I can only see 1 document at a time. I can't see both of them at the same time. I would have to select the other document to view it. If there isnt anything like that can this be a feature request? Photoshop has something like this that I love. I would really like it for affinity. 

Affinity Designer has something called "split view" but its not the split view I'm looking for. 

split view.png

9 minutes ago, MoonaticDestiny said:

Affinity Designer has something called "split view" but its not the split view I'm looking for.

If you have in the menu Window > Separated Mode selected you can have most any combination  of documents visible.

iMac (27-inch, Late 2009) with macOS Sierra

36 minutes ago, Gear maker said:

If you have in the menu Window > Separated Mode selected you can have most any combination  of documents visible.

But there is no automatic arranging of those windows available.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

If you're on Windows you can Float any document by using the Window menu or by dragging it free from the document tab bar.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

7 minutes ago, MoonaticDestiny said:

I'm on a mac. I tried it and it doesnt work. It just slides the documents to the side.

No, it wouldn't work on Mac, as it's a Windows-only function. On Mac, you would use Separated Mode (which is a Mac-only function).

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

2 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

No, it wouldn't work on Mac, as it's a Windows-only function. On Mac, you would use Separated Mode (which is a Mac-only function).

@walt.farrell @Gear maker I just tried separated mode and its so weird. It made the whole app floating windows. Not what I wanted. Yes, it makes my 2 documents float but theres no arrangement as @Old Bruce said. I have to manually arrange them. I wish I could just do what I do in photo shop and just hit the split button to arrange them side by side. Ugh. It makes the whole app floating windows. Which might be great for some users, but I just want to split 2 documents side by side with no floating app. I think this is an issue that Serif needs to get on. 

I wanted to split 2 documents side by side because I wanted to command+copy some things from 1 document and past them over to the other document. I didnt want to have to click on the other document to paste my things while exiting my other document.