You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Publisher 1.10.4 MacBookPro 16 M1Pro osx Monterey 12.0.1 vs MacBookPro Retina late 2013 osx Mojave 10.14.6

Hi, I'm testing the new MacBookPro 16 inches M1Pro 16/16/1Tb for 2 weeks now. It's a gorgeous machine but I'm an aware graphic designer with steady full experience in Apple environment and this is the first time, since my MacBookPro Retina late 2013, that I want to try a new Apple computer made for a professional.

In my tests, the MacBookPro 16 inches M1Pro 16/16/1Tb is running osx Monterey 12.0.1 and MacBookPro Retina late 2013 is running osx Mojave 10.14.6.

Despite the fact that the internal SSD drive is like 10 times the speed of the SSD of the old MacBookPro Retina late 2013, I have some very disturbing real time benchmarks and real impressions of slugginess with the brand new 16-inch M1Pro 16/16/1Tb:

A 41Mb Affinity Publisher 1.10.4 file:
    - takes 16.4 seconds to open from the SSD on the MacBookPro 16 inches M1Pro 16/16/1Tb
    - takes 11.5 seconds to open from the AFP mounted 1 Gigabits network volume on the same MacBookPro 16 inches M1Pro 16/16/1Tb
    - takes 3 seconds!! to open the file from the AFP mounted network volume on the old MacBookPro Retina late 2013

What a nice surprise!

Seriously, anybody is having same issues?

It seems to be the same with Affinity Photo, Adobe Photoshop CC 2021… but my Affinity Publisher test is the most relevant so far.

Best,

N

I have a much larger Publisher file than you and it will open in less than one second on a MacBook Pro 14 with M1 Pro, 16GB, and Monterey - Publisher screams on this new hardware for me. I can't imagine why it's taking 16 seconds to load from the SSD for you.

If it's faster opening from a network than from the internal SSD there's something going on. I suggest trying a couple of test files. Make a document with one linked photo and another document with one embedded photo. Time opening both of those from your SSD and network (keeping the photo with the document for the linked test).

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

• Staff

Hi @nicolasbulb,

Thanks for your report!

The times you have provided, do they also cover the application launching, or are these timed with the application already open using File > Open? :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

@Dan C No, it only takes the time to launch the document.

I've done some more test with launching the app only:

Launching Affinity Publisher only (without any document
        - it takes 18.9 seconds on the MacBookPro 16inches M1Pro 16/16/1Tb
        - it takes 9.40 seconds on the old  MacBookPro Retina late 2013

So weird and frustrating.

• Staff

Thanks for confirming that! I believe you're experiencing a few bugs here which are already known to the Affinity team.

Firstly in regards to the apps launching slower on Big Sur/Monterey, this is due to a change Apple made to macOS security in these latest updates, we're in contact with Apple to try and get this issue resolved, however they're yet to release an update to address this. More info can be found in our FAQ regarding this -

Secondly in regards to the documents launching slower, there is a different issue with Monterey caused by Apples changes to 'code-signing' which causes the Affinity apps overall to perform slower, as outlined here - 

We've attempted to fix this as best we can in our latest beta, however again we must wait for an Apple macOS update to completely resolve the issue.

Have you tried our latest beta version? this can be installed alongside the retail version, so you have 2 versions of the Affinity app installed at once -

I hope this clears things up :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

@Dan C Thanks for the detailed explanation. Clear to me but what a mess! With the new system since Mojave, even connecting a Wacom tablet with security settings, it's a pain… not in the right direction though.

I've downloaded the beta and it's way much better… thanks.

Let's wait for osx 12.1 and see if things gets better and faster. It's a shame with such MacBookPro monsters, Apple somehow slow them down with system bugs. But as as longtime time user, it's just a "Déjà vu". Thanks for making good apps and having a good support.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

Apologies for the delayed response here, as I have been out of the office until today.

Whilst using macOS version 12.1, are you still using the beta version of Affinity? If so, are you still experiencing delays within the apps when opening dialogs etc? :)

Please note -

Many thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi there, sorry for the delay, I was testing an M1 Pro and I've had to give it back in order to get an M1 Max. I've just received it yesterday and I'm in a pace to retrieve all my installations and setup.

I'm running now the latest 12.2 osx Monterey and with either the 1.10.4 or the latest beta 1.10.5 of Affinity Publisher, whenever I try to open my document, it just crashes. 

If I open it on my MacBookPro late 2013 on Mojave 10.14.6 with the latest stable 1.10.4 version, it opens without any problems.

Well… that sucks for now… any ideas?

• Staff

Sorry to hear this! Could you please provide a copy of the latest crash report from the app?

Please go to Applications > Utilities and open the Console app. Crash Reports from our apps can be found in the User Reports section. You can Right Click the required Crash Report and select Reveal in Finder.

Many thanks in advance :)

Please note -

Many thanks!

• Staff

Many thanks for providing these for me! I can see the app is crashing whilst trying to load 'raster' (ie pixel) content within a symbol object - though it's not clear why this is crashing on one machine and not another.

Could you please upload a copy of this .afpub file to the below link for me?

https://www.dropbox.com/request/WcAoG6TFvtvlOz8KYK6k

Once uploaded, please reply here to let me know :)

Please note -

Many thanks!

• Staff

Many thanks for providing that and my apologies for the delayed response here!

I believe I have located the layer that is causing this crash for you and I have removed this, then returned this document to your email address used here on the Affinity Forums - you should receive a Dropbox email with this shortly.

Can you please try opening this on your Monterey system and let me know if the app still crashes?

If so, please re-open the Affinity app (but without loading the document) and navigate to Affinity Publisher > Preferences > Performance then untick Metal Acceleration at the bottom of this dialog.

Restart the Affinity app as prompted and then try loading the document once again. Does this now load correctly?

Many thanks once again :)

Please note -

Many thanks!

Hello,

Can you please try opening this on your Monterey system and let me know if the app still crashes?

yes. same crash

If so, please re-open the Affinity app (but without loading the document) and navigate to Affinity Publisher > Preferences > Performance then untick Metal Acceleration at the bottom of this dialog.

Restart the Affinity app as prompted and then try loading the document once again. Does this now load correctly?

With Metal OFF, it works as expected. I guess, you have a better clue of how to fix this right? Because without Metal, it doesn't make any sense to have an M1Max powerhouse. ;)

Nicolas

• Staff

Thanks for confirming that for me and I'm sorry to hear you've needed to disable Metal for this document - however as you mention this makes it much easier to report the issue to our developers, so I will be sure to do this now :)

Please note -

Many thanks!

• 1 month later...
  • Staff

I can confirm the latest Publisher Beta contains a fix for:

"Fixed possible rendering issues with Raster elements"

However this may not be a 'catch-all' fix for this issue. Can you please try the below beta and let me know if this improves performance for you?

Many thanks :)

Please note -

Many thanks!

• Staff

Thanks for trying that for me and I'm sorry to hear this hasn't helped - unfortunately there's been no further development update to the bug report currently, so although 1.10.5 does not directly address this issue,  I'll be sure to inform you here when that changes :)

Please note -

Many thanks!

• 2 months later...

Okay, I'm now running osx Monterey 12.4 and the latest official Affinity Photo and Affinity Designer as well as Affinity Publisher.

Affinity Photo and Affinity Designer still launch slower on my M1Max than on my 8 years old MacBookPro running Mojave 10.13.14. This is nuts!!  Is there any progress on this topic? Many thanks. 

Firstly in regards to the apps launching slower on Big Sur/Monterey, this is due to a change Apple made to macOS security in these latest updates, we're in contact with Apple to try and get this issue resolved, however they're yet to release an update to address this. More info can be found in our FAQ regarding this -

• Staff

Thanks for the update and I'm sorry to hear this - some users in the following thread have found that duplicating the Affinity app in the Applications folder and then using the duplicated version launches faster than the original installed, and other users have found changing the Display to Metal can also help:

However unfortunately I don't have any further development/Apple update regarding this issue, though I'll be sure to 'bump' this with our developers now to try and get an official update for our users. My continued apologies for any inconveniences caused here.

Please note -

Many thanks!

Thanks for the update and I'm sorry to hear this - some users in the following thread have found that duplicating the Affinity app in the Applications folder and then using the duplicated version launches faster than the original installed, and other users have found changing the Display to Metal can also help:

Thanks for the feedback. This is really weird. After 6 months testing the M1Max, I still have critical issues for pro usage like colorcalibration, confirmed by NEC/Sharp Pro display and Eizo, and the Affinity Suite. I'm running now the latest osx Monterey 12.4, it's getting better and more stable but still I feel the potential of the M1Max power is underused.

I'll try the duplication trick but how come Affinity dev are not able to solve this?

In the forum you've provided above, a user share his solution:

I "had" the same problem with my new M1 Max MacBook and I tried a couple of suggestions I found here in the Affinity forums and while one suggestion (copy app to Desktop, rename or delete original app, copy app back to Applications folder) cut the start up time almost in half, it still took quite a bit longer then Publisher which opens in 2 secs.

So I was looking in the Preferences in Designer and I noticed that Display rendering was set to OpenGL so I changed it to Metal and restarted my MacBook Pro and Designer and Photo now open in 2 sec. just like Publisher.

Hope this helps everyone!

But If I restart with Metal on Publisher then I'm stuck with my document bug we've discussed earlier in this thread. What a mess!