You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to make the background transparent again

I made for example the American flag in Affinity designer. I saved the picture and it is transparent next to the flag.
I uploaded that image to the Affinity photo because I want to use some effects to distort the image to make the flag wavy and add a little light and shadow.

And I want to save that as svg, I would like the white background to be transparent again.

And by the way, I would ask, can it be broken into parts again, at least by color so that I can move those parts in the Affinity Designer, is that possible?

Do you have “Transparent Background” (in Document Setup / Colour) set for your original Designer document?

Any "distortion" you do in Photo will rasterise the image which means it is no longer a vector design, so you will probably not be able to – easily – separate the parts of the flag (depends on the image) and the exported SVG will only contain a bitmap of the flag.

Edit: I’ve attached a very-quickly-done video showing how to make a flag ‘wavy’ with Designer and Photo.
More time and effort will get you a much better result, but the basic steps are there.

Edited by GarryP
Added video.

• 3 weeks later...