You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Subscripts

Working in my MacOS Affinity Publisher I had 300 pages textbook with hundredth subscripts, I discover these tricks. In case you did not been aware. Holding command key, selected all close future subscript. Then under the text panel, selected baseline, then subscript. 534826795_AffPublisher.jpg.402ed1219307bd407fec9e790cc3102e.jpg

• 4 months later...

Thank you. I've been searching the Affinity interface trying to find where the ability to make a character subscript or superscript is located. Like you, I have hundreds of subscript and superscript to create. Unfortunate that Affinity places this feature down in a menu somewhere instead of top level where font is selected. You found a way to make this tolerable. Unfortunately, I am using a PC instead of Mac -no "command" key, but the "Ctrl" key does the trick.

For others trying to figure out how to apply subscript and superscript, from the main title bar choose "Text", then "Baseline" and you'll see options for subscript and superscript

Windows 10, Affinity Publisher 1.10.5.1342, i7-5820k, 6 cores,3.3GHz, 32GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070

2 hours ago, Engineering_text said:

For others trying to figure out how to apply subscript and superscript, from the main title bar choose "Text", then "Baseline" and you'll see options for subscript and superscript

You can also create a Character Text Style, or use the Character studio panel. The Positioning and Transform settings available with either approach has an "S" field that will let you select Subscript or Superscript.

You can also use one of those approaches, and use the Typography settings rather than Positioning and Transform. But that is limited to those characters for which the font provides the sub/superscript versions.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

I've been enjoying the ease of using "ctrl alt -" keys after selecting multiple instances of where I want letters subscripted. It's now fast and easy to get subscripts.

Now I'm getting a problem with subscripts that I've never encountered before. Subscripted letters crash into, and even slightly overlap, the tall letters in the following line. I do not want to increase the vertical space for each line, it looks good for the rest of the text. The problem is the subscripts are placed too low.  I want to just nudge up the subscripts a little bit. I'm hoping there is a setting somewhere in the style menu that does this as part of the body style.

I have used your advice in creating a character style -with that I can select each subscript and apply that style. But would be even better if I could adjust how body style handles subscripts in general. Although I admit this does allow more flexibility.

Just see you have replied as i am editing this post.

Edited by Engineering_text
update

Windows 10, Affinity Publisher 1.10.5.1342, i7-5820k, 6 cores,3.3GHz, 32GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070

10 minutes ago, Engineering_text said:

Now I'm getting a problem with subscripts that I've never encountered before. Subscripted letters crash into, and even slightly overlap, the tall letters in the following line. I do not want to increase the vertical space for each line, it looks good for the rest of the text. the problem is the subscripts are placed too low.  I want to just nudge up the subscripts a little bit.

If you only adjust the baseline, the characters stay the same size. If you use the Subscript/Superscript support in "Positioning and Transform" or (where applicable) in Typography in the Character panel or Character Text Style, you adjust both the baseline and the character size.

I think that will be less likely to have the problem you've just described.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

11 minutes ago, Engineering_text said:

Now instead of "ctrl alt -" I'll be applying a character style. 

You can assign keyboard shortcuts to text styles, if that helps.

https://affinity.help/publisher/en-US.lproj/pages/Text/textStyles_create.html

-- Walt
PC: