You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Export image didn't match artboard size

Pligus

25 minutes ago, Pligus said:

when i try to export image the artboard size become 1025x1024 http://joxi.ru/KAg7JxnUXEeypA

The size shown is the size of the export slice, which will be affected by non-integer values for the artboard coordinates or size. The artboard size itself doesn’t change.

By the way, instead of linking to pages on an external site which may become unreachable, it’s better to attach screenshots directly to your post here.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• Staff
4 hours ago, Alfred said:

The size shown is the size of the export slice, which will be affected by non-integer values for the artboard coordinates or size. The artboard size itself doesn’t change.

As Alfred has mentioned, you need to make sure that the Artboard is located and sized on full-integer values before creating and exporting your slice.

Can you provide a copy of your Affinity document, so that we can check this and offer advice on how to resolve the issue?

Many thanks in advance :)

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

53 minutes ago, Dan C said:

As Alfred has mentioned, you need to make sure that the Artboard is located and sized on full-integer values before creating and exporting your slice.

Can you provide a copy of your Affinity document, so that we can check this and offer advice on how to resolve the issue?

Many thanks in advance :)

Yes, please)

Untitled436.afdesign

• Staff

Hi @Pligus,
Open your document (the one you provided above), in Designer Persona select the Move Tool, click the Artboard1 layer that's currently visible in the Layers panel (to select it) and look at the Transform panel - you will see that the X coordinate is 5637,3 px. Delete the ,3 part (and press Enter to accept the change) so the X coordinates is now an integer value (5637) then export the artboard as usual. It should export with the correct dimensions (1024x1024px). If you encounter similar issues with the other artboards check their X and Y coordinates and make sure they are all integer values deleting the fractional part from the coordinates as described above.

Also it might be useful to check the Snapping settings (sometimes you need to set Force Pixel Alignment option to be on and Move by Whole Pixels to be off) just to make sure you will always have your artboards placed on exact pixels in future. This will help you to avoid such situations as you described in first post.

At the same time, I believe, artboards should always be auto positioned on whole pixel values in documents with pixels chosen as units. It should be default application behavior for artboards in such documents.

2 hours ago, MEB said:

Hi @Pligus,
Open your document (the one you provided above), in Designer Persona select the Move Tool, click the Artboard1 layer that's currently visible in the Layers panel (to select it) and look at the Transform panel - you will see that the X coordinate is 5637,3 px. Delete the ,3 part (and press Enter to accept the change) so the X coordinates is now an integer value (5637) then export the artboard as usual. It should export with the correct dimensions (1024x1024px). If you encounter similar issues with the other artboards check their X and Y coordinates and make sure they are all integer values deleting the fractional part from the coordinates as described above.

Thx, a lot. It is work!

But i didn't understand why the position affect on export size. It's a bug or feature?

2 hours ago, Alex M said:

Also it might be useful to check the Snapping settings (sometimes you need to set Force Pixel Alignment option to be on and Move by Whole Pixels to be off) just to make sure you will always have your artboards placed on exact pixels in future. This will help you to avoid such situations as you described in first post.

At the same time, I believe, artboards should always be auto positioned on whole pixel values in documents with pixels chosen as units. It should be default application behavior for artboards in such documents.

Thank you!) In future i will do as you say)

• Staff
2 minutes ago, Pligus said:

Thx, a lot. It is work!

But i didn't understand why the position affect on export size. It's a bug or feature?

It's a bug. The position (X,Y coordinates) should not affect the export size and it does NOT affect it if you use File > Export however it still affects the export size if you use the Export Persona/slices. It's a bit more complicated to fix the issue in the Export Persona so for now make sure you adjust the coordinates if they have fractional values.

On 11/30/2021 at 4:02 PM, Alex M said:

I agree with this, if the document units are pixels then it should autoposition on whole (integer) pixel values to avoid this issue though it seems that 1.10.4 is doing exactly that if artboards are inserted when documents units are set to pixels. Force pixel alignment is turned off but move by whole pixels is on and it automatically aligns to whole pixel values when inserting a new artboard. It may not happen if document units are changed to pixels later depending on force alignment/move by whole pixel settings being on or off.

However... artboards are not rounded to integer pixel values and that is what should happen, either automatically as an option to round up/down to the nearest integer value or by having an option that will ask you if you want to round the artboard size to whole/integer pixel values and whether you want to round up or down. E.g. using an A4 document size in pixels will by default generate pixels with decimal values which doesn't make sense from a practical ViewPoint.

• Staff

Hi @Arte,
Please see my reply above. The artboard's position is irrelevant if you use File > Export, no matter if the artboard is aligned or not to the pixel grid - this was fixed some time ago. Only in Export Persona this is still an issue (fixing things here is more complicated) however if you enable Force Pixel Alignment only (NOT Move by whole pixels - that's for something else and actually could make things worst because it keeps the fractional values when you move artboard(s) if the artboard already has fractional X,Y values) you an easily align the artboards to the pixel grid simply moving them a little bit.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Pligus said:

I have an artboard with dimension 1284x2778px, but when i switched to Export Persona the dimension to export become 1296x2790.

Do you have Bleed assigned? Check File > Document Setup.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

On 11/30/2021 at 6:02 PM, Alex M said:

you need to set Force Pixel Alignment option to be on and Move by Whole Pixels to be off) just to make sure you will always have your artboards placed on exact pixels

On 12/2/2021 at 2:55 PM, MEB said:

enable Force Pixel Alignment only (NOT Move by whole pixels - that's for something else and actually could make things worst because it keeps the fractional values when you move artboard(s) if the artboard already has fractional X,Y values)

Solution for avoiding fractional values was already given to you at least twice here in this thread.

55 minutes ago, Pligus said:

In Affinity Designer "Move by Whole Pixels" didn't work, when i copy artboard by drag-and-drop

What other Snapping options do you have set? For example, do you have Move by Whole Pixels enabled? If so, you should probably turn it off.

Also, you can't "copy" an artboard by just using drag-and-drop; you'd need a modifier key. Ctrl (Cmd on Mac, probably) will copy. Alt (Opt on Mac, probablyt) will copy, but will also override snapping. Which modifier key did you use?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1