You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi all,

This is apparently a simple problem but I've no idea of the answer. Basically, why do I set one (RGB) colour in AffPub but see another on screen? And, before you leap to tell me, I don't think it's what you think.

Here's my partial screendump.

image.png.a118fe72bae0e93223d9cf6729d3300b.png

You can see I've set RGB 70,22,100, but the colour picker sees it as 75,6,100.

If I export the page to PDF the purple changes to blue —

image.png.b74130bf2db851ea5055e584f26144ea.png

— which the picker sees as 33, 0, 100. Noticeably different, but in fact this is what the AffPub RGB settings I used SHOULD produce. 

What I sent to my mate for discussion is this —

image.png.abc3efa9e14217e6180a263e97ac854b.png

These don't actually look much different but they are. 

I initially assumed I needed to adjust my screen settings but now, having talked it through with My Mate Mike, since I can see the difference on the same screen, and since he can also see a visible difference on his machine, and has also checked the visible colour difference, I don't see how it can be that.

Incidentally, if I use (a very old version of) Paint Shop Pro, RGB 70,22,100 produces this —

image.png.0b7af351218b1e4ab547e40e068bac4e.png

— just like AffPub does, and if I save a pdf I get —

image.png.b3e3c10fecc0954fdbaf7f5436c3b425.png

—so maybe it is something to do with my setup after all?

This all arose because I couldn't seem to produce a nice purplish purple in the PDF I want. It's easily remedied, by setting a redder purple, but now we both want to know —

— has anyone else come across this?

— how do we make it right?

Thanks in advance.

David

[If I produce a rectangle with the same RGB settings in AffPhoto I get —

image.png.57a6a751fa59caa045305385955544cd.png

— and the picker sees this as 74, 0, 101, which is quite different from the AffPhoto setting.]

Hi,

could you please provide

• a afpub document where the issue is reproducible?
  • Screenshots of all relevant color profiles
    • Monitor (OS settings)
    • document setup
    • In case of placed images, source images 

In case your document uses any other profile except sRGB, this is partially expected behavior.

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

• Staff

Many thanks for your screenshots provided!

This is likely due to the custom colour profile assigned to your monitor, through Windows - 

2 hours ago, dbrear said:

image.png.97fb46f7624cbf597455abba1a19beee.png

Can you please select 'Add', then choose the sRGB IEC61966-2.1 profile (as shown in my screenshot) and then set this as the Default profile.

image.png

Now, restart the Affinity app and try exporting once again - does this resolve the colour differences in the export? :) 

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

Well, I honestly didn't think it would, but it has!
image.png.d47ddd0b3c48a23a6b71d62b4f153b89.png

PDF on the left, AffPub on the right. Thank you VERY much Dan! Colour picker picks up a VERY slight difference but insignificant.

I really did not see how it could be a screen problem, so good job someone knew better than me (not for the first time)

Isn't this an excellent forum? When I'm advising people to try Affinity products I always mention the help we get in the forums.

Take care,

David