You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Permanently unbind Pixel tool from B shortcut

Can anybody please help me to do the subj?

Every time I start Designer, switch to Pixel Persona, and press B, intending to draw, I encounter Pixel tool, and I have to be aware of this because it allows to switch brushes too, and all palettes are the same. I tried to remove it from keyboard shortcuts in Preferences about 7 times, but every time I close Affinity and re-open it again, Pixel tool is there, lurking and waiting for me under the B shortcut.

And what is the general idea to have Pixel tool as a standard, not a Brush tool? Is it really that more popular to use in Pixel Persona?

I haven't tested it, but maybe you could simply assign a shortcut, which you don't use otherwise to the pixel tool?

»A designer's job is to improve the general quality of life. In fact, it's the only reason for our existence.«
Paul Rand (1914-1996)

Hm. Isn't it possible to remove the shortcut for the pixel tool completely (shortcuts -> tools)? That's working at least in Affinity Photo.

»A designer's job is to improve the general quality of life. In fact, it's the only reason for our existence.«
Paul Rand (1914-1996)

• Staff

I've been testing this internally too - if I remove the 'B' shortcut from the Pixel tool this doesn't appear to work correctly as 'B' will still cycle between the Pixel Tool and the Brush Tool.

However if I set the shortcut for the Pixel Tool to a different key (I used 'Q'), then the shortcut will only select the Brush Tool.

I then removed the 'Q' shortcut from the Tool, restarted the app and tried the 'B' shortcut once again - this now only selects the Brush Tool as expected.

Does this workflow provide a workaround for you whilst our developers investigate this issue please? :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

• Staff
5 minutes ago, Dan C said:

I've been testing this internally too - if I remove the 'B' shortcut from the Pixel tool this doesn't appear to work correctly as 'B' will still cycle between the Pixel Tool and the Brush Tool.

No it does not, unless the previous tool selected was the Brush Tool then yes because it also alternates between the current and previous tool if you hit the same shortcut key again.

• Staff

Of course it does :$ Thanks MEB!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

10 minutes ago, Dan C said:

I then removed the 'Q' shortcut from the Tool, restarted the app and tried the 'B' shortcut once again - this now only selects the Brush Tool as expected.

Does this workflow provide a workaround for you whilst our developers investigate this issue please? :)

Sadly, no. After remapping to different key and restarting Pixel tool is again the main tool for 'B' shortcut.

I have Photo and Publisher not Designer
Photo works ok but Publisher when in Photo Persona crashes when I do Edit/Preferences
So I removed the B shortcut from Pixel Tool & Smudge Brush in Photo then copied the Shortcuts.xml file
from
%appdata%\Affinity\Photo\1.0\Workspaces\Photo
into 
%appdata%\Affinity\Publisher\1.0\Workspaces\Photo
restarted Publisher and bingo, the B shortcut now only toggles between Paintbrush & Colour replacement

Of course I couldn't recommend such an approach in case it breaks something else

Microsoft Windows 11 Home, Intel i7-1360P 2.20 GHz, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Intel Iris Xe
Affinity Photo - 24/05/20, Affinity Publisher - 06/12/20, KTM Superduke - 27/09/10

• 1 year later...
  • Staff

The issue "[macOS] Keyboard shortcut for Pixel Category > Tools doesn't save after a restart" (REF: AF-206) has been fixed by the developers in internal build "2.3.0.2083".
This fix should soon be available as a customer beta and is planned for inclusion in the next customer release.
Customer beta builds are announced here and you can participate by following these instructions.
If you still experience this problem once you are using that build version (or later) please reply to this thread including @Serif Info Bot to notify us.