You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Ability to add several layers of one FX

As a workaround, you can:

• Add the desired effect
  • Group your sigle object
  • Add the same effect on the Group

image.png.b13fa4983193210a8df82a3147958e0d.png

Best regards!

I want that too. Like, why cant I add a drop shadow and hit the + icon to add a 2nd drop shadow. Especially with outlines. I hate having to give type an outline and then duplicate that type again, put it behind the first type, and then increase the outline to get my 2nd stroke. Just let me add multiple outlines by hitting the "+" icon next to the outline fx. Exactly how it is in photoshop. 

photoshop.png

3 hours ago, MoonaticDestiny said:

Exactly how it is in photoshop

If you expect and require exactly the same features as in another application, isn't it better to use "this" application than to assume that someone will make an exact duplicate of it?

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

8 hours ago, Pšenda said:

If you expect and require exactly the same features as in another application, isn't it better to use "this" application than to assume that someone will make an exact duplicate of it?

Affinity already has the same Pen, Eyedropper, etc., because these became essential tools in the past 20 years after Adobe invented them (or made them famous). 

In the latest update, Procreate added Brush size memory, when you can make blue stops for most preferable brush sizes for every tool. Concepts had those for a few years already. I'm sure every app will eventually copy this yellow handle on Procreate marquee that allows rotating marquee around the object because it's a small revolution.

Now, several layers of shadows are not the new standard, but still a step forward and worth copying.

5 hours ago, elguapo said:

Affinity already has the same Pen, Eyedropper, etc., because these became essential tools in the past 20 years after Adobe invented them (or made them famous). 

I would just like to note that "same" and "exactly" have quite different meanings, especially when it comes to requirements. You could also discuss whether these tools are really Adobe's "invention," as you automatically assume, or if someone came with this up long ago, and maybe they just bought it like a lot of other know-how.

Surely you know that Serif has been developing graphics applications for over thirty years. So it's clear that during this time it has created a portfolio of useful tools, which it gradually transfers to Affinity applications (I'm sure you've already seen a lot of posts like - Plus apps had it, so why doesn't Affinity!). By that I mean that the Affinity application is not created simply by copying Adobe products, as you obviously assume, but that it is a gradual transfer and replenishment (redesign) of successful Plus applications.

It is clear that application skills are gradually being copied - that is, that developers inspire each other, but then do it in their own way so that it fits into the context of their application (even because it may be a patented thing). According to this, this corresponds to the procedure of Serif, who never copied anything "exactly", as is required here. That's why I find it strange and unrealistic to requested something "exactly" - I'd rather use this right application that does exactly what I need and request, than to expect someone to exactly copy it into their application (even though they haven't done anything like that yet).

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

21 minutes ago, Pšenda said:

Adobe's "invention," as you automatically assume, or if someone came with this up long ago, and maybe they just bought it like a lot of other know-how.

I automatically assume that you might have problems with eyesight, because just after those words there is (or made them famous) part.

Illustrator did introduce the pen tool when it was released in 1988, about 32-33 years ago, but vector illustration apps in general have been around at least since Apple's LisaDraw from 1983.  CorelDraw came out in 1989.

Serif was founded in 1987, and their first product was a desktop publishing application; DrawPlus was not released until 1994, by which time Illustrator (and thus the now-ubiquitous pen tool) had already been around for about 5-6 years.

Incidentally, desktop publishing was invented in the 1970s by Xerox, as were laser printers, but it didn't really hit the mass market until the Apple LaserWriter was released in 1985, along with Aldus PageMaker that same year.  Adobe purchased Aldus in 1995.

Adobe's first product was the PostScript language, in 1982.  PhotoShop came about in 1989, and Serif released PhotoPlus in 1999, 10 years later.

• 2 weeks later...