You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Screen Changes to Strange Black when Affinity Photo File Opens

I am not sure if it is an issue with the mac software or something glitch-y caused by Affinity Photo. I have contacted Apple as well about the issue. But when I open a file in Affinity Photo app and my screen is on full brightness, the screen changes to a black with lined colors to slightly outline the app and image. I have attached a screenshot. Hard to explain. At first I thought it was an overall issue with the mac, but it seems to only happen when I have Affinity Photo open and have additionally opened a file. It was merely by accident that I discovered it was a brightness thing. I unplugged my mac to go in a low light room to take a picture of the screen. When I unplugged it, the issue went away, so I wasn’t going to be able to take a photo of it. Then it hit me that it might be brightness related. I have my mac set to dim screen when unplugged. so i increased the brightness back to 100% and the issue returned. Turned it down just one level, gone. did it a  few times to be sure. Then, oddly, it changed when I returned to mess with Photo. Now, it happens no matter the brightness level. If I quit Affinity Photo, issue goes away as well. Doesn't happen in any other app on my mac.

IMG_3554.jpeg

----------------------------------------
i am everything. i am nothing
therefore, i can be anything

• Staff

Hi @iambia,

Sorry to see you're having trouble!

Can I correctly assume you're running macOS Monterey - perhaps even a beta build version of this OS?

Could you please navigate to Apple > System Preferences > Displays and provide a screenshot of your settings here? I'm specifically interested in the monitor colour profile in use.

Many thanks in advance :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

3 hours ago, Dan C said:

Hi @iambia,

Sorry to see you're having trouble!

Can I correctly assume you're running macOS Monterey - perhaps even a beta build version of this OS?

Could you please navigate to Apple > System Preferences > Displays and provide a screenshot of your settings here? I'm specifically interested in the monitor colour profile in use.

Many thanks in advance :)

Attached. My system: MacOS Monterey, Version 12.1 Beta, 13", M1, 2020, 16GB memory.

Screen Shot 2021-11-29 at 9.22.48 AM.png

• Staff

Many thanks for that!

If you change the 'Color LCD' profile to 'sRGB IEC61966-2.1', then restart the Affinity app, does this resolve the issue for you please? :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

23 minutes ago, Dan C said:

Many thanks for that!

If you change the 'Color LCD' profile to 'sRGB IEC61966-2.1', then restart the Affinity app, does this resolve the issue for you please? :)

Worse. Screen goes completely black with that setting. I need to close out the file, then it is restored. Again note, when I open the app, no problem. It happens only when I open a file, any Affinity file. It does not happen in Designer, nor any other app on my mac. I would do a screen record, but when I do, it records as though everything is normal, rather than what I am actually seeing with my eyes.

• Staff

Many thanks for letting me know - we've had a few other reports of this happening with the latest Monterey beta, and for some users changing this profile resolved the issue.

I'll be sure to provide this information to our development team now, so we can hopefully have this fixed before the beta version goes live.

For the time being I'd recommend either running at less than 100% brightness, or 'rolling back' to the non-beta macOS version.

I hope this helps :)

Please note -

Many thanks!

21 minutes ago, Dan C said:

Many thanks for letting me know - we've had a few other reports of this happening with the latest Monterey beta, and for some users changing this profile resolved the issue.

I'll be sure to provide this information to our development team now, so we can hopefully have this fixed before the beta version goes live.

For the time being I'd recommend either running at less than 100% brightness, or 'rolling back' to the non-beta macOS version.

I hope this helps :)

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Aikinai said:

I had the same issue, but it seems to be fixed in the latest beta (21C51).

Yes. Seems to be fixed. Not happening anymore for me. Hope it sticks.