You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Pages Panel Doesn't Show Pages Numbers.

Hi,

Newbie here. At the left-hand side of the screen, you have what I believe is called the pages panel. Every time you add a page, under each page it shows the word "Page" and the number of that page right next to it. In my affinity screen don't how that. So I don't know how many pages my document has. Do you know how can I make this show?

Thank you.

Go to View > Studio > Pages. Make sure the Pages is ticked.

If that doesn't work go to View > Studio > Show Left Studio

You may have hidden the Studio panels, check and make sure View > Studio > Hide Studio is not checked.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

By the way: in the bottom left corner of each documents window you always get the current + the total page numbers displayed. Also you can use that spot to navigate by using the arrow buttons or clicking it to enter a specific page number.

2108011500_pagenumbersbottomleft2.thumb.jpg.a19d085ef324f47224f30a743f9fa773.jpg

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

3 hours ago, thomaso said:

By the way: in the bottom left corner of each documents window you always get the current + the total page numbers displayed.

FWIW, this page navigator appears in all 3 APub personas, & even in AD & AP if the document has more than one document page.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

6 hours ago, Old Bruce said:

Go to View > Studio > Pages. Make sure the Pages is ticked.

If that doesn't work go to View > Studio > Show Left Studio

You may have hidden the Studio panels, check and make sure View > Studio > Hide Studio is not checked.

Thank you so much for the rapid response but the problem is not that the pages panel or the pages are not showing is the number underneath the pages what is missing.

affinity.png

5 hours ago, thomaso said:

By the way: in the bottom left corner of each documents window you always get the current + the total page numbers displayed. Also you can use that spot to navigate by using the arrow buttons or clicking it to enter a specific page number.

2108011500_pagenumbersbottomleft2.thumb.jpg.a19d085ef324f47224f30a743f9fa773.jpg

Thank you so much. I didn't even notice that was there. Thanks again.

23 minutes ago, Vickyniki said:

the pages panel or the pages are not showing is the number underneath the pages what is missing.

This looks like a redraw issue. Do you get it always and in every document? What if you close all documents, close the app, relaunch the app and create a new document with a few pages. Does this show its page numbers?

1 minute ago, thomaso said:

This looks like a redraw issue. Do you get it always and in every document? What if you close all documents, close the app, relaunch the app and create a new document with a few pages. Does this show its page numbers?

Yes, I closed all documents, closed the app and installed the new update but nothing changed. I purchased the app a few months ago. They pages number in the pages panel have never shown. I thought with the new update will get fixed but it didn't. After searching online and watching a few videos on Youtube I decided to post my situation here because it seems it is only me. So, I thought it was that I needed to checkmark an option under the view tab or change the settings but nobody seems to be having this situation other than me.

6 minutes ago, Vickyniki said:

it seems it is only me.

Maybe not:

Some various reported issues in recent app versions are influenced by the performance settings set in the Affinity app preferences. So you could try to change them, e.g. disable hardware acceleration (if active), or another of the possibly demanding settings.

Maybe a Windows user will pop in to this thread, able to test or confirm your issues.

3 hours ago, thomaso said:

Maybe not:

Some various reported issues in recent app versions are influenced by the performance settings set in the Affinity app preferences. So you could try to change them, e.g. disable hardware acceleration (if active), or another of the possibly demanding settings.

Maybe a Windows user will pop in to this thread, able to test or confirm your issues.

I wonder if he was trying to figure it out for me because I posted the question in one of his video in his Youtube channel.

36 minutes ago, Vickyniki said:

I wonder if he was trying to figure it out for me because I posted the question in one of his video in his Youtube channel.

Maybe that would explain why he did type all the examples – instead of simply posting a screenshot ;)

Though it is not exactly described like your issue appears, he mentions "page" + some numbers + a gap + some numbers, while you got neither text nor numbers at all. However, it seems to be related to a common culprit, whatever this will come out to be.

5 minutes ago, thomaso said:

Maybe that would explain why he did type all the examples – instead of simply posting a screenshot ;)

Though it is not exactly described like your issue appears, he mentions "page" + some numbers + a gap + some numbers, while you got neither text nor numbers at all. However, it seems to be related to a common culprit, whatever this will come out to be.

Do you think uninstalling the app and installing it again will fix it, even though I already installed the update? I wonder if it is just a Windows 10 issue.

31 minutes ago, Vickyniki said:

Do you think uninstalling the app and installing it again will fix it, even though I already installed the update? I wonder if it is just a Windows 10 issue.

Currently I have no other idea than a temporary redraw issue in particular because it affects the interface only, – which seems not to be the reason since it insists for you after app relaunch. I have no experience with Affinity in Windows. Before reinstalling I'd wait for a Windows user reply and/or try the various app performance preference options, or an app reset on app launch (hold ctrl key) (which will also reset custom preferences). Ah, one more idea: Switch the interface to "Light", that forces the entire UI to get redrawn.

What OS are you running, @Vickyniki?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

10 hours ago, thomaso said:

Currently I have no other idea than a temporary redraw issue in particular because it affects the interface only, – which seems not to be the reason since it insists for you after app relaunch. I have no experience with Affinity in Windows. Before reinstalling I'd wait for a Windows user reply and/or try the various app performance preference options, or an app reset on app launch (hold ctrl key) (which will also reset custom preferences). Ah, one more idea: Switch the interface to "Light", that forces the entire UI to get redrawn.

Thank you, I will.

30 minutes ago, Vickyniki said:

Windows 10 on Dell PC.

Thanks.

In your Windows Settings (click the Start icon in the Task Bar and choose the Settings cog/icon), click System, then Display (if the Display panel is not shown automatically). What is the first setting under Scale and Layout, where it says "Change the size of text, apps, and other items"?

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

3 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

Thanks.

In your Windows Settings (click the Start icon in the Task Bar and choose the Settings cog/icon), click System, then Display (if the Display panel is not shown automatically). What is the first setting under Scale and Layout, where it says "Change the size of text, apps, and other items"?

It says 100% (Recommended). Display resolution 1920x1080 (Recommended).

46 minutes ago, Vickyniki said:

It says 100% (Recommended). Display resolution 1920x1080 (Recommended).

Well, that eliminates one possibility for what's wrong. Unfortunately, that's the only idea I have at the moment.

-- Walt
PC:

4 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Well, that eliminates one possibility for what's wrong. Unfortunately, that's the only idea I have at the moment.

@Vickyniki, Walt's result is a pity. This makes me wonder whether this spot in the interface is the only one which doesn't work as expected? For instance does the UI in the Resource Manager's Page column report page numbers correctly (or at all) if you have some images placed on different pages?

4 hours ago, thomaso said:

@Vickyniki, Walt's result is a pity. This makes me wonder whether this spot in the interface is the only one which doesn't work as expected? For instance does the UI in the Resource Manager's Page column report page numbers correctly (or at all) if you have some images placed on different pages?

Sorry for my lack of knowledge but what is the "UI" and where is the "Resource Manager's Page Column"?

Your screenshot shows that you are using "non-standard" text size (meaning other than 100%) in the user interface. (This exception would not show as non-standard system scale percentage.)

This ia an accessibility setting in Windows (under Settings > Ease of Acess > Display > Make text bigger in version 10 and Settings > Accessibility > Text size in version 11) and while custom text size, at least with modest enlargement percentage values, works fine in most apps -- and seems to work fine also with Affinity Publisher, at lest with the latest version 1.10.4 and Windows 11, and with the random "134%" text size that I tried -- this setting might cause problems with some apps or some parts of the user interface within a specific app, in a way that results in the upscaled text not fitting in its container becoming completely omitted rather than just being truncated.

I would try if changing the mentioned custom text scaling value (e.g. decreasing it a bit, or resetting the value to 100% if anything else does not work) has effect on the problem, or if the current setting could take effect properly after you have rebooted your computer.

4 hours ago, Lagarto said:

Your screenshot shows that you are using "non-standard" text size (meaning other than 100%) in the user interface. (This exception would not show as non-standard system scale percentage.)

This ia an accessibility setting in Windows (under Settings > Ease of Acess > Display > Make text bigger in version 10 and Settings > Accessibility > Text size in version 11) and while custom text size, at least with modest enlargement percentage values, works fine in most apps -- and seems to work fine also with Affinity Publisher, at lest with the latest version 1.10.4 and Windows 11, and with the random "134%" text size that I tried -- this setting might cause problems with some apps or some parts of the user interface within a specific app, in a way that results in the upscaled text not fitting in its container becoming completely omitted rather than just being truncated.

I would try if changing the mentioned custom text scaling value (e.g. decreasing it a bit, or resetting the value to 100% if anything else does not work) has effect on the problem, or if the current setting could take effect properly after you have rebooted your computer.

It worked. The text size was at 170%. I lowered it to 157% and it worked. Thank you so much!!! I think this is what "walt.farrell" was trying to get me to do but in his steps this "Make Text Bigger" option didn't show. Thank you so much again and thank you to everyone that tried to help me. I deeply appreciate it. I know that this probably isn't that important but for some reason it was driving me crazy and unhappy. Thank you again.

affinity2.png