You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer Customer Beta (1.3.5.13 - RC3)

• Staff

Hi everyone,

When I'm working on a CMYK document, and I try to add tints of a defined colour - global or not - to the swatches, I get tints with RGB values instead of the original CMYK colour.

Same thing goes for shades and tones as well. Also, when I tried the triadic, complementary, analogous colour chords, I got HSL values in the swatches palette. 

Maybe it's me, but I also couldn't find how to add only a specific tint of a defined colour to the colour swatches.

This post applies to Photo as well.

What do you mean? Our tinting method doesn't change the colour format at all - but it can still show you the values for those format by conversion if you really need them to.

• Staff

I still have some issues with exporting PDF. AD won't crash anymore, thanks for that. That really helps when working.

But I am getting this error screen (see the attachment) when saving specific files).

I was experimenting with file and it is related to some layers. So I have reduced the image to the layers, which make the file unexportable to PDF…

The issues is related to the betas (currently RC3), I am able to export this file in App Store version.

Hopefully helps make AD more stable and better :-)

Thanks for the file lexislav. Issue logged to be looked at.

I still have some issues with exporting PDF. AD won't crash anymore, thanks for that. That really helps when working.

But I am getting this error screen (see the attachment) when saving specific files).

I was experimenting with file and it is related to some layers. So I have reduced the image to the layers, which make the file unexportable to PDF…

The issues is related to the betas (currently RC3), I am able to export this file in App Store version.

Hopefully helps make AD more stable and better :-)

Thanks. The problem is a layer who's name is not valid Unicode. It is in Layer1, the first Group, and in the Layers panel it shows as "(Layer)" as if it didn't have a name, but if you rename it to "t" and then back to blank, the document will export successfully. Another workaround is to set the PDF Compatibility to "PDF 1.4 (Acrobat 5)", since that does not support layers.

Can you tell us where that layer name came from? Was it imported or pasted from something, or did you type it?

Probably a low priority but when you use copy to clipboard the DPI of the new document is 96dpi.

There are obvious issues with this and I was tripped up recently as I use this action to save and place embedded documents. (Useful for me as I have elements repeated many times in a design). 

However when I have a 96dpi document embedded in a 72dpi document confusion can arise when for example checking the sizes of fonts (spoiler - the size is different).

It would seem sensible that the clipboard could contain the dpi of the document the copy was made from so it can be used when creating the new document. 

Even better an option in the Layers panel to Embed without having to save out first and then place.

Great work and best of luck getting the MAS version submitted this week - nice Christmas present for your customers :)

Yay, artboards! :wub:  Thank you guys for these feature additions. So far, they are great!!

One thing I've found with the artboards in AD... This isn't much of an issue - more of a convenience type of thing - but it would be nice if there was some sort of indication of which artboard I have "selected" when working with multiples. This is especially helpful when using the Arrange tools.

For example, if I have a shape that I need to move to the vertical center of another artboard, it would be nice to be able to "select" that artboard and the arrange tools then apply to that artboard. I used to do this in Adobe Illustrator all the time, and the "selected" artboard was outlined in solid black, while the rest were outlined in a lighter grey. It was just nice to have that visual indicator of which artboard I was working with!

This is weird. I downloaded the zipped file and extracted it fine. When I try to open it, I get a prompt: "Affinity Designer Beta.app" will damage your computer. You should move it to the Trash"

Yes, I know about MAC gatekeeper and to manually open the file directly from the finder to get around it on the first time use. But this message is new. I even downloaded the file twice just to be sure.

See screenshot.

post-14071-0-82363700-1448901077_thumb.png

This is weird. I downloaded the zipped file and extracted it fine. When I try to open it, I get a prompt: "Affinity Designer Beta.app" will damage your computer. You should move it to the Trash"

Yes, I know about MAC gatekeeper and to manually open the file directly from the finder to get around it on the first time use. But this message is new. I even downloaded the file twice just to be sure.

See screenshot.

Hallo finedesgin,

ich hatte das gleiche Problem mit Affinity Designer. Probiere einfach mal Folgendes:

Systemeinstellungen --> Sicherheit  -> Registerkarte Sicherheit --> Apps-Download erlauben von: "Keine Einschränkungen" auswählen.

Vielleicht hilft das bei Dir auch.

Viele Grüße

Newstone

--------------------------------
Translated with Google Translator:

Hello finedesign,

I had the same problem with Affinity Designer. So check it out the following:

System Settings -> Security -> Security tab -> Apps downloads allow by: Select "No limitations".

Maybe this helps you too.

Many greetings

Newstone

Danke Newstone–

-- Translated with Google --

Ich tat folgen dieser Vorgehensweise und es erfolgreich geöffnet. Aber ich bin verwirrt, warum dies ist das erste Mal, dass ich diese Botschaft sah. Ich habe viele Affinity Designer Beta-Versionen verwendet, aber nie diesen Fehler erhielt.

--

-- Original -- 

I did follow that procedure and it successfully opened. However, I am confused why this is the first time I saw that message. I have used many Affinity Designer beta versions, but never got that error. 

Dear Affinity,

I've been trying out the new release candidate version of Designer and I've come across a bug regarding importing certain PDF files. I use pdflatex to format and generate PDFs of results generated then, on occasion, I then might convert some of these PDFs to PNG files for incorporating the results into presentations. 

Using the current MAS version of Designer I am able to import files generated directly from pdflatex however with this RC of Designer it crashes immediately, even before getting to the import dialog box. Adding to the mystery, if I take a file generated by pdflatex and re-export it as a PDF using Apple's Preview program I am able to import it using the current RC, as well as the current MAS version, of Designer.

I have attached a file generated directly from pdflatex (Original.pdf) and a file after re-exporting using preview (Re-exported.pdf), if you would like the crash report I can send that to you as well.

Aside from this, a great new release of Designer with many new features that I'm looking forward to using!

Kind regards,

Tim

Original.pdf

Re-exported.pdf

Thanks. The problem is a layer who's name is not valid Unicode. It is in Layer1, the first Group, and in the Layers panel it shows as "(Layer)" as if it didn't have a name, but if you rename it to "t" and then back to blank, the document will export successfully. Another workaround is to set the PDF Compatibility to "PDF 1.4 (Acrobat 5)", since that does not support layers.

Can you tell us where that layer name came from? Was it imported or pasted from something, or did you type it?

The layer was pasted from clipboard from Illustrator CS6, OS X El Capitan.

You know, my workflow is a bit bumpy as I'm trying to use AD for real work… In this case, I was using Illustrator bitmap tracing (Another feature I miss is blending shapes).

What do you mean? Our tinting method doesn't change the colour format at all - but it can still show you the values for those format by conversion if you really need them to.

Hi Andrew,

Sorry for replying late.

Here's what I do:

My document is in CMYK colour mode.

post-4060-0-34587400-1448983284_thumb.png

I create a document colour palette and I add a colour, in this case it's C:0 M:50 Y:100 K:0.

Then I right-click and select Create Colour-Chord ->Tints

post-4060-0-01141200-1448983431_thumb.png

This is what I get:

post-4060-0-91501200-1448983460_thumb.png

All values showing as RGB in the swatches.

Maybe it's just their naming, but it's somewhat alarming. :D

Oh, and "Create colour chord -> tints" creates multiple undo's.

It takes hitting the command-z many times to undo the creation of all the tints.

• Staff

Hi Andrew,

Sorry for replying late.

Here's what I do:

My document is in CMYK colour mode.

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2015-12-01 at 17.16.06.png

I create a document colour palette and I add a colour, in this case it's C:0 M:50 Y:100 K:0.

Then I right-click and select Create Colour-Chord ->Tints

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2015-12-01 at 17.17.35.png

This is what I get:

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2015-12-01 at 17.17.55.png

All values showing as RGB in the swatches.

Maybe it's just their naming, but it's somewhat alarming. :D

Oh, and "Create colour chord -> tints" creates multiple undo's.

It takes hitting the command-z many times to undo the creation of all the tints.

Thanks for the information. We need to improve on the Colour Chords items at some point. It won't happen for the next build because it's a bit late, but it should happen in the future at some point. :)

The layer was pasted from clipboard from Illustrator CS6, OS X El Capitan.

You know, my workflow is a bit bumpy as I'm trying to use AD for real work… In this case, I was using Illustrator bitmap tracing (Another feature I miss is blending shapes).

Thanks. In the next beta, the layer name should paste as intended rather than appear blank and break PDF export.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.