You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo Customer Beta (1.3.5.13 - RC3)

• Staff

Purpose: Improvements / Fixes

Requirements: Purchased Affinity Photo

Mac App Store: Not Submitted

Download: Here

To use this beta, simply download the file from the link given above and double-click on the file to open the installer. Follow the instructions to install the beta version. The beta sits alongside the Mac App Store version and will not interfere with it.

This is a Release Candidate build. It is our intention to submit this for review to Apple in the first week of December. Any help you could offer to stabilise and refine the product at this stage will be very gratefully received    :)  We won't be implementing any new features now for this version and we will be focusing on stabilising the product for the immediate future. We will obviously start adding more features again as soon as this update goes live.

Improvements / Fixes

- "Smart" alpha export - any exported / saved images will not contain an alpha channel if no pixels have alpha. This should help with DAM’s which hate alpha and with Xcode - which sometimes hates alpha.

- Fixed issue whereby transparent areas of a palletised PNG export would be blue instead of transparent.
- Attempted to automatically repair bad CMYK Levels values generated by older versions of Affinity Photo / Designer.
- Fixed the white balance stepper in Develop persona.
- Numerous localisation improvements.

Well in my own opinion it is minor stuff - don´t know if there is a big part of an iceberg hiding beyond them.

- the USM Threshold masking while holding down alt (IMO most important) and also clipping indicators in Curves adjustment (like in Levels)

- bleed for artboards and bleed preview (somehow very important)

- and when the App is fullscreen the filters and adjustments hide and have to be scrolled, they could expand all the way up (see screenshot)

and a tiny one which could probably be done really fast

> when you´re in the guides manger, click on a guide, then this guide could be highlighted in the document 

- and another bug where I could make a screen recording but it´s not important in any way, I just discovered it

> make a selection (in my case rectangular), go to Select > Feather, I chose 1px, document was A3 horizontal 300dpi, then entered quick mask mode and when I rotated the image it flashed white in short durations while rotating, I was zoomed in to about 200% I guess 

​But that´s just me, I think they´re all very important and there are also others that have other important issues but I´d be happy to see those being addressed in the near future.

Please let us know about the minor stuff!! You would be suprised what can be achieved in 3 days ;)

I have a truly minor thing for you, Andy … LOL … I remember this was requested a couple of times, not just by myself. What about cleaning up the menus for the upcoming release (please have a look the links below) … I am sure it is a five minutes task to rename the menu items and insert dividers, and it would improve the user experience and the beauty of the apps as well …  ;)

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/7943-affinity-photo-public-beta-11224443/?p=32068

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/7943-affinity-photo-public-beta-11224443/?p=32106

And I dare not to ask for sticky settings for the Crop Tool, but that would be the icing on the cake …  ;)

Thanks, Alex  :)

Found a small issue in the panorama creator. 

The input images are treated as sRGB regardless of their proper colorspace.

So if I created panorama from ProPhoto TIFF's I will end up with the wrong colours.

(Of course this can be corrected with assigning the proper colorspace to the resulting panorama but some awareness of the colorspace would be nice...  :) )

This one (.13) is not ok! Downloaded twice and get, after install and at first opening: "Affinity Photo Beta is beschadigd en kan niet worden geopend. Verplaats deze naar de prullenmand."

in English: "damaged and can't be opened. Move to waste-bin"  :( :( :(

.12worked for me though :wub:..

Ah and what´s always annoying me:

Why do filters on top of filters still get nested?

Can´t there be one line of code to prevent this "default behavior?

It´s just so odd!

And what does "auto commit filters (Preferences > UI) mean?

Interesting, I have a copy of Photo, but when I launch the beta, it says I must have a copy of Photo, so it won't let me test it. I had no problem with Designer. I did get my copy directly from you guys, not the app store, maybe that was the problem? I guess I will have to wait for the updates? Sorry I can't see if there any bugs. Loving the software though.

I've tried the Beta's (1.2.5.12 RC2) Panorama module lightly. Works fine for TIF, Jpg, NEF (Nikon RAW), & DNG files. The TIF version seemed to be slightly better at the edges than LR6. The Panorama is fairly quick if you do the images properly (on a tripod, with a panoramic leveler, manual focus, WB, exposure). It didn't do so well when haphazardly doing the overlaps--with no straight horizon. Yes, some of us do get lazy...

However, there are four issues worth mentioning:

1) The crop feature after the Panorama creation is remarkably slow. It's hard to crop horizontally/vertically, and almost impossible to get any good rotation because of the slowness & jerkiness. 

2) The color rendering seems to be not up to par, even with jpg files, but especially with RAW files.

3) a Nit: The Render Panorama screen doesn't seem to have a working progressive bar; hard to figure out if the progress is near the end. I exited it prematurely sometimes.

4) a lessor Nit: the New Panorama Screen progress could be more progressive (like nearing the end) than the spinning dial).

Wei Chong

I forgot the ability to merge masks.

Doing it with channels is not very comfortable.

And when I modify a mask with a live adjustment layer and I want to merge them in a destructive way, I don't know how to do it.

I tried selecting both and choosing "merge selected" but it was greyed out.

- I'll make a PDF with all these stuff as there's so much round here that I'll probably have to repeat these things some more in the future :)

Please let us know about the minor stuff!! You would be suprised what can be achieved in 3 days ;)

A

May be interesting for the next MAS release : the option File/Share/Add to Photos don't work with the Panasonic RAW files .RW2

Regards

Hi!

I'd like to have a "Share to Affinity Photo" option, so i can send images from the Photos application directly to Affinity Photo. And, how about an extension "Affinity Panorama" so one could select a couple of panorama images in Apple Photos and send them directly into the panorama stitcher?

Darn Apple for wrecking the possibility of drag and dropping images from Apple Photos directly into other apps. WTF.

Thanks,

Jörg

• Staff

Hi!

I'd like to have a "Share to Affinity Photo" option, so i can send images from the Photos application directly to Affinity Photo.

Thanks,

Jörg

You can use the Media Browser (menu View ▸ Media Browser) in Affinity Photo to open images stored in Apple Photos Library, however they will be imported as JPG's.

Both iPhoto and Aperture include an Edit in External Editor functionality that lets you edit your images in Affinity Photo (using lossless formats) which are then saved back automatically to the original app, however this is not available for Apple Photos. Only Apple can implement it.

There is a very simple-to-fix bug in photo. When you open it for the first time, you get to choose the size, resolution, etc. When you press tab to go to the height option, the textarea isn't marked as "focused" (it should be white). It's a silly detail but adds to the overall user experience. Thanks!

You can use the Media Browser (menu View ▸ Media Browser) in Affinity Photo to open images stored in Apple Photos Library, however they will be imported as JPG's.

Both iPhoto and Aperture include an Edit in External Editor functionality that lets you edit your images in Affinity Photo (using lossless formats) which are then saved back automatically to the original app, however this is not available for Apple Photos. Only Apple can implement it.

Hmm... when I'm already in Photo and have the desired image, i'd really not like to have to navigate through the media browser again. Photo supports a lot of third party applications in the share menu (day one etc), so couldn't you implement that? (even if it's only available for JPG and can't save the result back - that i can live with).

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.