You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Oh well…No Black Friday for Publisher on iPad

This is what affinity said in June 2020. This was a year and a half ago

It’s not a secret that Publisher for iPad is in development, and I would say development is going well. In fact, we’re not too far off having a technical preview that we might be able to share outside the team. It’s important to us though to keep a balance between iPad and desktop development, so it’ll be a while longer before we have anything to show publicly.

9 hours ago, Donloggins said:

And since then there have been a number of issues with both the desktop and iPad versions of the existing applications, some due to changes made by Apple to MacOS and to iPadOS, that have probably required more focus by the development team and have helped delay Publisher for the iPad.

We'll see it when it's ready.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

9 hours ago, Donloggins said:

It’s not a secret that Publisher for iPad is in development, and I would say development is going well. In fact, we’re not too far off having a technical preview that we might be able to share outside the team. It’s important to us though to keep a balance between iPad and desktop development, so it’ll be a while longer before we have anything to show publicly.

Publisher for iPad was announced as being in development way back in 2019, but the same applies now as when you posted about it a couple of months ago.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

18 hours ago, Donloggins said:

And maybe that's why they don't commit to specific deadlines anymore... 

Best regards! 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/29/2021 at 6:33 AM, walt.farrell said:

And since then there have been a number of issues with both the desktop and iPad versions of the existing applications, some due to changes made by Apple to MacOS and to iPadOS, that have probably required more focus by the development team and have helped delay Publisher for the iPad.

We'll see it when it's ready.

Also… speaking from experience, COVID-19 has had an impact on the pace of development for companies both large and small. Even though progress may be steady, many are finding many things simply take longer.

I check every now and then to see if there’s news, but I’m sure Publisher for iPad is still going to happen. Meanwhile, I’m trying to figure out Designer's awesome mind-bending Contour tool. 😂

On 11/29/2021 at 3:15 PM, Mithferion said:

And maybe that's why they don't commit to specific deadlines anymore... 

Best regards! 

Does not sound like they committed to anything. A few key words in there "It’s not a secret that Publisher for iPad is in development, and I would say development is going well. In fact, we’re not too far off having a technical preview that we might be able to share outside the team. It’s important to us though to keep a balance between iPad and desktop development, so it’ll be a while longer before we have anything to show publicly.

Unless there is more to it, no one was ever promised to have Publisher on the iPad at any specific date. Honestly, as someone who makes their living in print and using InDesign for most of my day, I can't imagine using an app like Publisher on an iPad, would not to even want to work on a touch device, let alone a small screen like that for layout.  

41 minutes ago, wonderings said:

Does not sound like they committed to anything.

They have done so, in the past.

41 minutes ago, wonderings said:

Honestly, as someone who makes their living in print and using InDesign for most of my day, I can't imagine using an app like Publisher on an iPad, would not to even want to work on a touch device, let alone a small screen like that for layout.  

I don't see myself doing any sketches in the iPad and I see many people finding it more suitable to their way of working. I prefer good old pencil and paper but that's just me. Maybe more people than we can expect will find Publisher on the iPad something thay can no longer live without, who knows?

Best regards!

19 hours ago, Mithferion said:

They have done so, in the past.

I don't see myself doing any sketches in the iPad and I see many people finding it more suitable to their way of working. I prefer good old pencil and paper but that's just me. Maybe more people than we can expect will find Publisher on the iPad something thay can no longer live without, who knows?

Best regards!

Would be curious to see what their actual promise was in the past as generally companies do not say anything rock solid for this very reason.

There is a big difference between sketching and page layout. The first thing again is the size of the screen, being able to work 1:1 is huge. I am sure they can make it work on an iPad, I just question why. I get photo editing and even vector creation, those are generally artistic applications. Publisher is page layout, not as glamorous as the other 2 but equally important and probably needs more focus on what you are doing with text and images. All of these would be small with a lot of zooming in and out for corrections. I would be happy to be proved wrong, but as one who works with Indesign day in and day out I would not want to work on a screen smaller then the 27" 5K screen I have now. 

29 minutes ago, wonderings said:

Would be curious to see what their actual promise was in the past as generally companies do not say anything rock solid for this very reason.

Specifically for Publisher on iPad, @Alfred pointed (above) to an earlier discussion in which he provided a statement of what had been said. Of course, that was from memory, and I don't know if the actual event video where the statement was made is still available. But I remember seeing that statement, and certainly here in the forums after that the Serif Staff have said that it should have been available in 2020.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

45 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

I don't know if the actual event video where the statement was made is still available

You do now! :D

Affinity Live: 19 June 2019

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

3 hours ago, wonderings said:

I just question why

And I'm sorry I don't have an answer for you. Yes, sketching is not the same, but pleased as I am with pencil and paper, I think someone will find his/her way to do publishing work on an iPad, the same as someone tried it on a computer for the very first times.

Best regards!

On 12/10/2021 at 1:32 PM, Mithferion said:

And I'm sorry I don't have an answer for you. Yes, sketching is not the same, but pleased as I am with pencil and paper, I think someone will find his/her way to do publishing work on an iPad, the same as someone tried it on a computer for the very first times.

Best regards!

I have no question someone will, I just don't see why. Again publishing and page layout is very different then drawing and sketching. Those in the industry are not looking to work on smaller screens, everyone pretty much wants to be able to work 1:1, this is a HUGE thing. With the tool bars and menus needed for Affinity in an already small screen I really don't see this working and again not sure why anyone would want to work this way. I can see for a quick alteration when on the road, but not for dedicated use as the primary layout app.