You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Crash: Windows 11 colour picking

herwwwig

• Staff

Many thanks for trying this for me, I'm very sorry to hear you're still experiencing crashing.

This certainly seems like an issue with .NET on your machine within Windows, as this is what's causing the Affinity app to crash.

I'd like to try manually downloading the latest version of the framework and installing this locally - you'll likely either see the install options as expected, or the installer may offer a 'repair' option if this version of .NET is correctly detected:

https://dotnet.microsoft.com/download/dotnet-framework/net48

Please download and install .NET Framework Runtime 4.8 from the above link, then once installed restart your computer and try using the colour picker once again for me.

Another option to try is to create a New User Account on your Windows 11 machine. I'd recommend creating a new Administrator account, then installing Affinity Photo here and try using the colour picker. Does this still crash for you please?

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

Dear Dan,

YOU FOUND IT !!!!!!!

I have created another family account on my PC.

I opened A photo and took the colorpicker, that worked 100%. Even in A designer and A publisher.

With the same .NET framework version ( I verified in my registry). So somewhere in my account is the problem.

The A programs ask me to register in the other account. Is that possible?

I now canceled the registration.

A question: should I reinstal my whole computer with win11 after a format C ? I know it's a great job.

A honnest answer please.

gr

herwig

@herwwwig 

The sfc scan may find the source of the error so that you do not necessarily have to reinstall Windows.

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

Affinity Suite V 2.4 & Beta 2.(latest)
Better translations with: https://www.deepl.com/translator  
Interested in a robust (selfhosted) PDF Solution? Have a look at Stirling PDF

Life is too short to have meaningless discussions!

@Dan C

You asked: Another option to try is to create a New User Account on your Windows 11 machine

I did it and in the new account, the color picker works fine.

After that, I uninstalled all affinity programs in my account, cleared up tha affinity  /program files/affinity map

cleared the registry with Ccleaner

reinstalled all Affinity program's in my account, and still it crashes....

1) How is it possible, tha in my new account, everything works fine and not in my account: it's the same windows, the same affinity, all the same....

2) after reinstalling in my account, all the settings were as before, even the recent files I opened. Is there another hidden affinity somewhat that keeps my settings etc.... Maybe when I can clear all this, the crashes dissapear.

gr

herwig

• Staff

Thanks for all your updates here, I'm glad to hear the app is working as expected in the new user account!

Before re-installing Windows, it may be worth trying to reset the Affinity app to default settings on the user account where it's crashing currently.

You can reset your app back to its default settings by holding down the CTRL key while launching the app. When the Clear User Data window appears, click Select All and then Clear. The app will now open.

Be aware that resetting your app back to its default settings will lose any custom settings such as keyboard shortcuts and brushes etc. To backup such settings before resetting the app, please watch our Affinity Backing up app resources and factory reset video here - 

After resetting, does the app still crash when using the colour picker from this dialog? :)

4 hours ago, herwwwig said:

Please can someone help me with the Dutch dictionary?

I recommend checking out the below FAQ regarding this!

I hope this helps :D

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

• Staff

My apologies for the delayed response here!

As the app is working on the new user account, this indicates either an issue with the Windows installation for this user, or that a third party application is causing the crash.

Within your new user account, I assume that Norton Security was not installed? As this app is 'hooked into' the Affinity app according to the crash reports provided, and it's certainly possible that Norton is causing this.

If you disable Norton for the user account where the app is crashing, then try colour picking again, does the app still crash? 

It may be that you need to migrate to the new user account, depending on the possible extent of damage to your Windows user account, but please do try the above first!

Please note -

Many thanks!

• Staff

Thanks for trying that - unfortunately it's looking more likely to be an issue with Windows for this specific user, which isn't something Affinity directly controls.

I would recommend contacting Microsoft Support (or perhaps a local IT technician) to see if you can resolve the .NET issues in your account.

My apologies I have no further suggestions at this time! 

Please note -

Many thanks!