You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Okay I admit that I know enough about computers to be dangerous.  So I hope someone can explain this to me.

My computer has 12 GB of RAM.  Why does the RAM limit of the preferences allow me to allocate usage of up to 64 GB?  Shouldn't the max be the amount of memory in the computer?  Or maybe even the available RAM after the OS is loaded?  Yosemite uses about 3 GB, so what happens if I set the allowance at higher than 9 GB?

What should this be set to?

iMac (27-inch, Late 2009) with macOS Sierra

As I am not the developer I cannot guarantee this, but my thoughts are this, 64 GB is the most RAM that affinity can use the way it was programmed and thus why it appears that way. Obviously if your computer can't magically use more RAM than it has so if you set the affinity setting higher than the maximum amount of RAM you have it will just use the maximum you have.

And I bet there are internal OS level ram shedulers that prevent any app from taking away the most basic system resources.

On my macs the RAM is correctly set to 8 and 32GB so it works for me....

Yea my guess is that if you set it up to use less than what you have or exactly it would help the program to plan its usage better, although they should have the ability to detect ram and plan that way, my guess is that it only really matters if you need it to use less than you have available in your standard workflow ex. user normally has 4 gbs of free ram but only wants affinity to use 2 gbs.

8GB

But the 120MP panorama was even quite difficult on the iMac with 32GB but RAM doesn't make much of a difference there anyway.

I found out that noise reduction/ addition and USM live filters are really heavy.

I always try to apply them in the end or disable them temporally cause they just make the app so unresponsive, even with a 24MP picture. But I also set the view quality to the best settings.

8GB

But the 120MP panorama was even quite difficult on the iMac with 32GB but RAM doesn't make much of a difference there anyway.

I found out that noise reduction/ addition and USM live filters are really heavy.

I always try to apply them in the end or disable them temporally cause they just make the app so unresponsive, even with a 24MP picture. But I also set the view quality to the best settings.

Dang... my laptop only has 16gb.... :(

Still it would be nice for the devs to put a check in place to see how much RAM the OS has available and make sure the slider can’t go more then that. Good UX doesn’t hurt.

True but I also like the idea of bowing when my ram upgrades will no longer affect the program