You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Photo Benchmark 11021 Results

• 3 weeks later...

I'm going to stop updating this table soon because I think there's enough data now to help inform purchase decisions for new computers or GPUs but I'll keep doing it until there's an M1 Ultra benchmark to add.

image.thumb.png.a1fb7bc7d6ba5ffe27f4dff74ab35a9d.png

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.0 for macOS Sonoma 14.4, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

1 minute ago, Royk said:

Thank you for sharing. I am trying to learn what the scores in vector means. Like.. the score is 523, but what does this tell us? How can i translate this to an (complex) vector illustration. Any thoughts?

@Royk Only Serif knows for sure but I believe they've said that the Affinity apps rely on the GPU for rendering the canvas which I assume is the most complicated part.

Take my advice with a grain of salt, I have no knowledge of how the programs work. My guess is that since the raster (GPU) scores are important for rendering the screen then the vector (CPU) scores must be important for everything that happens before the pixels are rendered.

For example, inserting a new line of text in a book with hundreds of pages might cause the text on every page to shift and to have to be re-wrapped around images on every page. In a photo editor, applying complex filters might depend on the CPU, too. In an illustrator program, the CPU might be important for things like transforming thousands of shapes at once. But if I experience lag, is it because of the stuff that happens before the screen is rendered or while it's being rendered? I don't know. The benchmarks will help you decide how much investing in your GPU will improve your GPU score but they won't tell you whether that will make any difference to the lag you're experiencing.

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

On 3/12/2022 at 4:35 PM, MikeTO said:

@Royk Only Serif knows for sure but I believe they've said that the Affinity apps rely on the GPU for rendering the canvas which I assume is the most complicated part.

Take my advice with a grain of salt, I have no knowledge of how the programs work. My guess is that since the raster (GPU) scores are important for rendering the screen then the vector (CPU) scores must be important for everything that happens before the pixels are rendered.

For example, inserting a new line of text in a book with hundreds of pages might cause the text on every page to shift and to have to be re-wrapped around images on every page. In a photo editor, applying complex filters might depend on the CPU, too. In an illustrator program, the CPU might be important for things like transforming thousands of shapes at once. But if I experience lag, is it because of the stuff that happens before the screen is rendered or while it's being rendered? I don't know. The benchmarks will help you decide how much investing in your GPU will improve your GPU score but they won't tell you whether that will make any difference to the lag you're experiencing.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. From what i know, vectors can be seen /compared as 3D objects, only in a 2D space. A flowting point in a 2D world. They are closer related to lets say....Blender, than a Photo (pixel) editor. The precision of a flowting point is something that takes cpu calculation resources. ad extra information like fil, outline, transparancy, etc.. 

I wish there was a dedicated Affinity Designer benchmark :D

On 3/15/2022 at 1:25 AM, Royk said:

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. From what i know, vectors can be seen /compared as 3D objects, only in a 2D space. A flowting point in a 2D world. They are closer related to lets say....Blender, than a Photo (pixel) editor. The precision of a flowting point is something that takes cpu calculation resources. ad extra information like fil, outline, transparancy, etc.. 

I wish there was a dedicated Affinity Designer benchmark :D

All Affinity products uses the same core then I think AD benchmark would be the same (or just slightly different). I hope Affinity performance would be better as it runs on Mac system. My old Macbook pro can even perform a surprising smoothly performance lol Affinity is just insane on Mac.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi @MikeTO

For reference here's a couple of benchmarks to add into the mix from Affinity Photo on my MacBook Pro - macOS Monterey 12.3 - 15" 2017 - 2.9 Ghz i7 - 16GB ram - Radeon Pro 560 4GB.

Interesting for me to see how much faster the new M1 processors are from a 5 year old spec. That'll be 3-4 times faster in benchmarks.

2022 03 30 - Affinity Photo Benchmark.png

On 3/30/2022 at 5:08 PM, MikeTO said:

Still no M1 Ultra benchmark.

Yep. It would be really great to see all numbers for that beast. In this AppleInsider article I found the following information:

Affinity Photo now has its own benchmark that tests vector performance on the CPU and raster performance, taxing both the CPU and GPU. We looked primarily at the combined scores for CPU and the GPU. The M1 Max scored a 947 for the CPU and a 22,537 for the GPU. The M1 Ultra came in with a 1,879 for the CPU and a 33,668 on the GPU.

Thanks for pointing out the AppleInsider review Alex and SGS!

Okay, here's the final version of this table - I think there's enough data now to make comparisons if you're in the market for new hardware. The green shading shows top scores in the same ballpark.

bench.thumb.png.279939f882c1aef868510baab07b60d5.png

Edited by MikeTO
Fixed a typo in the chart

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for this data. Does nobody have scores from a 64-core M1 Ultra or an 12900KS and RTX3090? I just wanted to see if this is what Apple was talking about in it's (now infamous) Keynote graph.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...