You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

• Staff

Hi AlexL,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

If you already have an image/scan of the signature you can recreate it with vectors using the Pen Tool (here's another video tutorial), or use a third party app or service to automatically trace it (convert it to vectors) like Vector Magic. You can then manipulate it as you see fit without losing quality since it's vector based.

I made one by scanning a signature, selecting it using the selection tool and putting it on a transparent layer. You can also just type text onto a transparent layer. Then go to export and create a slice of your signature / text and export it as a .png. Then in AP create a new image brush from the brushes window and import your sig.png. I set opacity, flow and hardness to 100% and you can size it like any other brush. You can also set these in 'edit brush' by right clicking the brush in the brushes window. I'm no expert but seem to work OK!

Cheers.....

post-19986-0-18648400-1448818751_thumb.png

Ooops! Sorry, I now remember I put the sig scan into PSElements and used the magic wand to select the sig and then made a new layer from selection onto a transparent background. Not sure how to do that in AP yet, would,like to know too.

Cheers.......

Hi AlexL,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

If you already have an image/scan of the signature you can recreate it with vectors using the Pen Tool (here's another video tutorial), or use a third party app or service to automatically trace it (convert it to vectors) like Vector Magic. You can then manipulate it as you see fit without losing quality since it's vector based.

Thanks, but I mean in Affinity Photo, can I take a blank page, use the policy that I want and save it as a image? Than use it to all my image.

Merci

You can select your signature and save it on a transparent layer. When you will use it, File>Place and drag it on top of your layers.
You can use the size and opacity you want.

I did like Tony T here, and made a brush out of it. Very convenient.

- Affinity Photo 2.3.0
- Affinity Designer 2.3.0
-Affinity Publisher 2.3.0

MacBook Pro 16 GB
MacOS Sonoma 14.1.2

• Staff

Thanks, but I mean in Affinity Photo, can I take a blank page, use the policy that I want and save it as a image? Than use it to all my image.

Merci

The Pen Tool is also available in Affinity Photo so you can still recreate it with vectors. If you want to have it as an image (raster), you can also remove the white background and keep just the signature. Just draw a rectangular selection marquee around it, copy/paste (it will be placed in a new layer), then go to Filers ▸ Colours ▸ Erase White Paper to remove the white of the background. You should end up with a clean signature over a transparent background which you can place over your images.

• 4 years later...

Hi. I am relatively new to Affinity, but I love the things you can do with it. I use a MacPro desktop computer and I take my photos with a Nikon D600. Now, how can you create a signature (your name for example) so it looks like the pen or pencil is writing the signature by hand. Perhaps I need the Motion 5 for that, but I would like to ask if there is a possibility i Affinity to create such a stunning composition. My wife is an artist (painter) and I would like to create her signature by a "living" handwritten composition. I have never seen this on any tutorial.
Thanks.

Welcome to the forums.
None of the Affinity applications have any animation features, if that’s what you are asking for.
If that’s not what you are asking for, can you give us a bit more specific information please? E.g. What does the signature look like (you don’t need to upload it, just describe it)? What should the pen/pencil look like? Do you need vector or raster? Etc. etc.

Thank you so much for your answer. Now I know that Affinity can't create an animation movement that what I wanted in this case. The effect I would like to get is if someone writes with a pencil their handwritten signature. I will try in Motion 5, FCPXs powerful motion graphics tool. Thank you anyway. 
By the way, I 
guess you can get a similar effect if you "hide" the signature and move a layer slowly to the right.

Thanks.... Perhaps Affinity in the future will have animation features. That would be something to look forward to.
Have a nice day.

22 hours ago, MacPro27 said:

The effect I would like to get is if someone writes with a pencil their handwritten signature.

If the animation is meant for video you could take a look at Davinci Resolve and learn Fusion. It has a free version with practically all features. Davinci and the Fusion page have a learning curve which takes you a while in Fusion, but once you know your way around you can do pretty much anything with it animation/VFX wise. Like importing a svg with your signature you created with Designer and make it animate. But easier and faster to learn would be other (paid) animation software like Adobe Animate CC or alike.

Hey again.... I found the solution in Motion 5, that is a part of Final Cut Pro X video Editing Software. Everything is easy when you know how to do. By the way, I am a composer for video production of artist artwork so I'm happy I found Affinity Photo to create images I need in video projects.
I don't know if you ever have thought what you can do with simple images in a video project...... 

Thanks for all support from this forum.