You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Help with this Portrait ?

Hi Guys,

Wanted to ask you guys what best could be done about this. This is a Portrait Photo where there is no clear contrast between the Background and Foreground and hence when I selected the subject to isolate it from the background it was not a very clear cut selection. If you see in the Top right side of the Hair there is some Light which is coming from the Neon Light Product Banner. What could be done to hide it ?

what I tried was select the clone tool and then with the paint brush tried to paint over it. It did not do anything. I don't remember what was the Hardness I had set to ? I guess Opacity was 100% and Hardness was set to 0 still it did not do anything.

what would you guys suggest for this ?

Pics Attached. (Duplicate and the one I worked)

Mac Duplicate-1.jpg

Mac Duplicate-2.png

38 minutes ago, RichardMH said:

Selection brush tool and Refine? Heaps of Youtube videos on it.

Did you read it properly ? It is only after using the Refine Tool that I have reached here. Refine Tool and Painting with Matte is not doing the Job !!

3 minutes ago, RichardMH said:

You said you used the clone tool!

That is after selecting the original background going to Refine, Adding a mask to the Photo then adding a Fill Layer. Do you think one can reach to this point without adding a Mask ? when the background is way different as seen in both the pictures. As I have also included the Original Picture. It is Obvious I would have used a Mask.

Thank you for your reply but. 

1 minute ago, augustya said:

That is after selecting the background going to Refine, Adding a mask to the Photo then adding a Fill Layer. Do you think one can reach to this point without adding a Mask ? when the background is way different as seen in both the pictures. As I have also included the Original Picture. It is Obvious I would have used a Mask.

Thank you for your reply but. 

There are many ways of constructing a mask!

• Staff
3 hours ago, augustya said:

Guys any suggestions ?

Clone tool would be the way to go with this and maybe the Burn Tool, to remove any left over light on the rest of the hair.  I've attached the results i quickly got using the Clone Tool and Burn Tool.

For these kind of shots, you really want to have a less busy background as not everything can be fixed/corrected in post.

Screenshot 2021-11-25 at 13.46.54.png

9 minutes ago, stokerg said:

Clone tool would be the way to go with this and maybe the Burn Tool, to remove any left over light on the rest of the hair.  I've attached the results i quickly got using the Clone Tool and Burn Tool.

For these kind of shots, you really want to have a less busy background as not everything can be fixed/corrected in post.

Screenshot 2021-11-25 at 13.46.54.png

Yes but how did you do it ? When I select the clone told and then select the paint brush and try to paint over it, with the target area that I have selected which is hair from near by surrounding area. It does not do anything !

How did you do it exactly ? Can you please tell me the steps ?

• Staff
5 minutes ago, augustya said:

How did you do it exactly ? Can you please tell me the steps ?

What settings do you have applied for the Clone Tool?

After selecting the Clone Tool, i had these settings on the Toolbar along the top:
Opacity: 100% Flow:100% Hardness:100

and simply cloned over the main problem area and then used the burn tool to darken any other parts.  Thats all the steps i used.

25 minutes ago, stokerg said:

What settings do you have applied for the Clone Tool?

After selecting the Clone Tool, i had these settings on the Toolbar along the top:
Opacity: 100% Flow:100% Hardness:100

and simply cloned over the main problem area and then used the burn tool to darken any other parts.  Thats all the steps i used.

I don't remember exactly but i think I had the hardness set to 0 I am not sure though !  I will try again and report back.

I'd just paint in manually some hair to cover those spots.

Like in this "quick'n'dirty" attempt, I added just a couple of brush strokes:

hairfix.png.91823207d5db52e9a36a7c15f34a8fbb.png

»A designer's job is to improve the general quality of life. In fact, it's the only reason for our existence.«
Paul Rand (1914-1996)

I'd rather copy-paste-liquify part of the left hairs on the right side, since it looks really strange with too much difference between the left and the right side of the haircut, as if it was chopped down on the right, when it's nice on the left.

17 minutes ago, Wosven said:

I'd rather copy-paste-liquify part of the left hairs on the right side, since it looks really strange with too much difference between the left and the right side of the haircut, as if it was chopped down on the right, when it's nice on the left.

Liquify Part ? What does that mean ?

1 hour ago, Andy05 said:

I'd just paint in manually some hair to cover those spots.

Like in this "quick'n'dirty" attempt, I added just a couple of brush strokes:

hairfix.png.91823207d5db52e9a36a7c15f34a8fbb.png

But you will have to copy it from some place right ? And you require clone tool for that don't you ? How did you do it ?

You just need to try until the 2 sides look different. If you don't like the liquidy persona to move pixels, you can use the Warp tool (if I've got the name right, it's the one with the perspective tool).

Since it's just hairs, it shouldn't be difficult to get 2 sides looking different, and this haircut is messy.

About your second question, he just used brush strokes, without copying but the colors perhaps.

14 minutes ago, Wosven said:

About your second question, he just used brush strokes, without copying but the colors perhaps.

Oh I did not know this. Does it even work ? Like if I simply select the Paint Brush Tool and try to paint over it ? Does it leave anything ? In this case will it create Hairlike strokes ? I have never tried so asking. And what a layer do I need to select Mask Layer or ? The Pixel Layer ?

Yes, I just painted the hair in. There are special hair brushes available (some might even be for free). A lot of the Photoshop brushes will work pretty well in Affinity. I haven't tested these, but they look pretty close to those I'm using.

I just sample some altering colours (darks/mids/highlights) of the hair and paint in some hairs to fill the areas and also around the edges as that's usually better looking as the masking on difficult backgrounds. The different colours, which have been sampled from the original hair, make it look natural. 

»A designer's job is to improve the general quality of life. In fact, it's the only reason for our existence.«
Paul Rand (1914-1996)

12 hours ago, Wosven said:

You just need to try until the 2 sides look different. If you don't like the liquidy persona to move pixels, you can use the Warp tool (if I've got the name right, it's the one with the perspective tool).

Since it's just hairs, it shouldn't be difficult to get 2 sides looking different, and this haircut is messy.

11 hours ago, Andy05 said:

Yes, I just painted the hair in. There are special hair brushes available (some might even be for free). A lot of the Photoshop brushes will work pretty well in Affinity. I haven't tested these, but they look pretty close to those I'm using.

I just sample some altering colours (darks/mids/highlights) of the hair and paint in some hairs to fill the areas and also around the edges as that's usually better looking as the masking on difficult backgrounds. The different colours, which have been sampled from the original hair, make it look natural. 

Hey Guys ! Can someone please help me with this, I have not tried this thing before, I have never tried using a Hair Brush or the Brush tool per say before. So I am getting all messed up on how to use it. So You see as I highlighted in my First Post and as visible in the second Picture from the first post, I am trying to camouflage the Light showing in the Hair of the Subject. So what I am doing is selecting the Brush size 16 then changing the colour to Black but when I keep the Opacity of the colour 100% it looks very different from the original and when I reduce it, It starts looking Grey which is again different from the orignal. So that is problem number one. Secondly After selecting the Brush then I go to select the Paint Brush it does not do a very clean Job, meaning the strokes are very haywire and it does not kind of gel mix in the existing Hair. Can anyone please tell me where am I going wrong ?

9 hours ago, augustya said:

So what I am doing is selecting the Brush size 16...

Are you using a special hair brush like @Andy05 mentioned?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

2 hours ago, augustya said:

I tried both, the one which is inbuilt in the Brush section of Affinity Photo and also I imported the one which @Andy05 mentioned.

I don't know of any built-in hair brush in AP so it might help if you explained which category it is in & its name. Also, there are 60 or so brushes in the brushlovers.com/ download, so which one(s) of those did you try?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

In addition to what @R C-R already said or asked, I used a graphic tablet for painting in the hair. I don't know how good that'd work with a mouse. If you have to do similar tasks pretty often, it might be worth buying one. Even a cheap or used one from one of the known brands, like HUION will do the job so much better than the best gaming mouse. It'll be a game changer for a lot of design/graphic tasks in the Affinity apps, like refining a mask, soft blending of objects and suchlike.

Paul Rand (1914-1996)