You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Publisher file, seemingly saved without issue every 30 minutes yesterday, was "corrupted" today

Hello, all:

From what I can see on this forum, this a fairly common issue with Macs, but I have a Windows 10 machine w/64GB RAM. Am using the paid version of Publisher. Was saving to my desktop all night, and at the end of the night, saved to a thumb drive as well. Both copies were trashed when I tried to resume working this morning. I'm absolutely sick over it.

Before I try to rebuilding from the ground up, do you have an online tool or a direct Help address through which I could submit this thing for help? I'm hoping for a way to extract the text (which was initially six pages long, but then polished and edited down to two). Obviously, I won't risk another Publisher disaster since this was a time-sensitive project, but if I can at least paste the salvaged text into Canva, I'll find a workaround for everything else.

Will  be extremely grateful for any & all suggestions. Thank you for your time.

Brenda

• Staff

Hi @writerlady6and Welcome to the Forums,

One thing to try, open Publisher and start a new document and then click Document>Add Pages From File and select your file that isn't opening.  Do the pages import or do you get an error?  If you get an error, can you attach your afpub file and i can see if it can be recovered, sadly this isn't always a quick process but if you can provide the file, i can get it logged to be looked at :) 

6 hours ago, writerlady6 said:

Was saving to my desktop all night,

I know this doesn't help with your current problem, but, going forwards, rather than just saving the project, which overwrites the file, save a new version, incrementally numbered. At least that way, if something does go wrong with the final version, you have previous versions, so that you don't have to start from scratch. (Obviously you can delete all the previous versions, to save space, once the project is finished, and you know that the file is OK!)

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

1 hour ago, PaulEC said:

I know this doesn't help with your current problem, but, going forwards, rather than just saving the project, which overwrites the file, save a new version, incrementally numbered. At least that way, if something does go wrong with the final version, you have previous versions, so that you don't have to start from scratch. (Obviously you can delete all the previous versions, to save space, once the project is finished, and you know that the file is OK!)

Morning PaulEC, and thanks much for the suggestion. I was kicking myself last night for not doing this on Tues. (You think you've got good "save" habits, you'll be golden though! Live and learn.)

Hope you have a great Thursday.

Edited by writerlady6

5 hours ago, stokerg said:

Hi @writerlady6and Welcome to the Forums,

One thing to try, open Publisher and start a new document and then click Document>Add Pages From File and select your file that isn't opening.  Do the pages import or do you get an error?  If you get an error, can you attach your afpub file and i can see if it can be recovered, sadly this isn't always a quick process but if you can provide the file, i can get it logged to be looked at :) 

The suggestion was much appreciated; unfortunately, I still get the error.

Am attaching the file. Thank you for having a look.

6x9_DREAM JOURNAL INTERIOR.afpub

• Staff
10 minutes ago, writerlady6 said:

Am attaching the file. Thank you for having a look.

Thanks for attaching the file.

Is this the copy that was saved to the Desktop or USB storage?

I'll get it logged and see if it can be recovered but sadly this process might take some time as we have to get a Developer to look at the file.

26 minutes ago, stokerg said:

Thanks for attaching the file.

Is this the copy that was saved to the Desktop or USB storage?

I'll get it logged and see if it can be recovered but sadly this process might take some time as we have to get a Developer to look at the file.

This is the one from the desktop. Did you need the end-of-day one that I saved to the thumb drive as well?

10 hours ago, p382c said:

I am just learning about external storage bug as it's the first time in 2 years this has happened to me. Is there a hack to recover the corrupted file? tried placing from a new file but still doesn't work.

Unfortunately, it didn't make a difference for me on local vs external. I saved to my Desktop all day, but also did my final save of the day to a thumb drive. Both are trash now.

So the big question might be: When will it be fixed? 

• Staff
21 hours ago, writerlady6 said:

This is the one from the desktop. Did you need the end-of-day one that I saved to the thumb drive as well?

If you could attach that one as well, i can add it to the report i've logged with the Dev team :) 

• 2 weeks later...

Sadly got the same issue. Saved it on the internal storage of my windows computer all day. No Problem, also the thumbnail updated every time i changed the first page. Then on export there were some funny artefacts in the pdfs so i restarted the whole computer, thinking it would might solve the problem. Nope Publisher can´t read the file correctly and reverted back several hours..... After saving the recovered state, it went from ~110MB to ~8MB....

Something is going on there, no other app has a problem on my storage devices.

1 hour ago, Gmit said:

Sadly got the same issue. Saved it on the internal storage of my windows computer all day. No Problem, also the thumbnail updated every time i changed the first page. Then on export there were some funny artefacts in the pdfs so i restarted the whole computer, thinking it would might solve the problem. Nope Publisher can´t read the file correctly and reverted back several hours..... After saving the recovered state, it went from ~110MB to ~8MB....

Something is going on there, no other app has a problem on my storage devices.

So disheartening.  I've given up on recovering anything from the file by now (plus I missed out on my own Black Friday sales over it, so there's that).

Publisher seemed like such a dream to work on. I intended to invest in Designer as well, during Affinity's Black Friday sale. Thank goodness this happened *before* I paid for another program that I might not ever feel safe trusting again.

• 5 months later...

Hey, guys, six-month followup here. If anyone is still working on this, please give it up. I restarted the file months ago and published it before Christmas. Don't spend anymore time trying to trouble-shoot, if you've even gotten to it yet. I actually used Publisher on other projects after this without ever saving to a flash drive, and haven't had any problems. Perhaps introducing the flash drive into the process caused an issue. Stepping lightly with crossed fingers.

I thank every one of you that tried to help though. Much appreciated.

(EDIT: Typo)

Edited by writerlady6
typo