You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Open Designer or Photos from Apple Photos App

I am trying to figure out how to add the edit shortcut to the apple photos app. I have searched this forum and online to no avail. People keep saying just create a shortcut but do not explain the process to do that. Can anyone help with explaining how I can open a photo into designer or photos from the edit menu on an IPad?

4 hours ago, DM1 said:

Also discussed, including my step-by-step with detailed screenshots, in this thread:

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

On 11/25/2021 at 1:50 AM, Dockskipper said:

I am trying to figure out how to add the edit shortcut to the apple photos app. I have searched this forum and online to no avail. People keep saying just create a shortcut but do not explain the process to do that. Can anyone help with explaining how I can open a photo into designer or photos from the edit menu on an IPad?

Here you go, I created this yesterday for my facebook groups where the same question was asked.

My dad always told me, a bad workman always blames their tools….

Just waiting for Ronny Pickering…..

Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on macOS Sonoma 14 on M1 Mac Mini 16GB 1TB
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on Windows 10 Pro. Deceased
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 2.4 on M1 iPad Pro 11” on iPadOS 17.4 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityForiPad

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityPhoto/

The hardest link to find https://affinity.help

I have used this exact shortcut for a while now but recently it just throws an error. I don't know if it is iPadOS 15 having issues or it's a problem with the latest Affinity release. .I've tried recreating it to no avail.

I get:  "an Error occurred while running Open in Affinity shortcut (NsCocoaErrorDomain, 257)"

3 hours ago, Chris in NZ said:

I have used this exact shortcut for a while now but recently it just throws an error. I don't know if it is iPadOS 15 having issues or it's a problem with the latest Affinity release. .I've tried recreating it to no avail.

I get:  "an Error occurred while running Open in Affinity shortcut (NsCocoaErrorDomain, 257)"

Make sure that you do not already have an image open in the Affinity app, you should be either on the Affinity Home Screen or close the app down first before using the shortcut in Photos since the iPad app does not support multiple open documents like the desktop versions can.

Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on macOS Sonoma 14 on M1 Mac Mini 16GB 1TB

1 hour ago, Paul Mudditt said:

Make sure that you do not already have an image open in the Affinity app, you should be either on the Affinity Home Screen or close the app down first before using the shortcut in Photos since the iPad app does not support multiple open documents like the desktop versions can.

Tried all that. It never used to error out regardless of whether a document was open. It's not even getting to the point it opens AP though, it instantly errors out, AP doesn't even open.

• Staff

Sorry to hear you're having trouble @Chris in NZ!

I've tried this Shortcut here under iOS 15.1 and everything is working as expected for me.

11 hours ago, Chris in NZ said:

"an Error occurred while running Open in Affinity shortcut (NsCocoaErrorDomain, 257)"

6 hours ago, Chris in NZ said:

It's not even getting to the point it opens AP though, it instantly errors out, AP doesn't even open.

I can confirm the error you're seeing is an iOS error and not one specifically for the Affinity Photo app - usually this error means you don't have the correct permissions to access/edit the file. 

What location are you trying to open a file from? for example are you running this shortcut from an image saved in Apple Photos, or a document within Files? Are you trying this shortcut with a file that is saved in the Cloud, or a different non-local location?

If you navigate to Settings > Privacy > Files and Folders - do both Affinity Photo and Shortcuts appear in this list? :)

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

2 hours ago, Dan C said:

Sorry to hear you're having trouble @Chris in NZ!

I've tried this Shortcut here under iOS 15.1 and everything is working as expected for me.

I can confirm the error you're seeing is an iOS error and not one specifically for the Affinity Photo app - usually this error means you don't have the correct permissions to access/edit the file. 

What location are you trying to open a file from? for example are you running this shortcut from an image saved in Apple Photos, or a document within Files? Are you trying this shortcut with a file that is saved in the Cloud, or a different non-local location?

If you navigate to Settings > Privacy > Files and Folders - do both Affinity Photo and Shortcuts appear in this list? :)

Hi

It doesn’t matter what images I try this with, the result is the same. I just dumped a card load of images into my iPad and tried to open them and same problem. This is a shortcut i only ever run from inside Photos app.

Yes I checked in settings as described and it’s correct

its not the end of the world just a bit annoying lol

• Staff

Thanks for letting me know, unfortunately I'm not sure what's causing this for you currently - my apologies.

It's possible that uninstalling and reinstalling the Affinity app would help, but please note doing so will remove all open documents, custom brushes, assets etc and any saved documents within the 'Affinity Photo' folder that is created by the app on your iPad.

I'll be sure to log this with our team, so that we can keep an eye out for any further reports and investigate as required :)

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

2 hours ago, Dan C said:

Thanks for letting me know, unfortunately I'm not sure what's causing this for you currently - my apologies.

It's possible that uninstalling and reinstalling the Affinity app would help, but please note doing so will remove all open documents, custom brushes, assets etc and any saved documents within the 'Affinity Photo' folder that is created by the app on your iPad.

I'll be sure to log this with our team, so that we can keep an eye out for any further reports and investigate as required :)

It’s all good mate, it might just fix itself with the next iOS update.

i am between edits so I just deleted and reinstalled AP. Predictably the error remains.

• 4 months later...

Are my settings right? I created a shortcut (image #1) but when i open an image in Apple Photos and try to get Affinity Photo For iPad to open it, its not working (image #2). Nothing happens when i click on “Affinity’, which is the name I gave the shortcut. 

FBCACFFC-D5C0-400D-824D-A305EB1BAF0B.jpeg

A6FE7804-9A37-452D-8681-4F54A347E49A.jpeg

• Staff

Hi @johnsane,

Welcome to the Affinity Forums & sorry to hear you're having trouble!

I have followed the instructions below provided by Alfred, which uses different steps for the Shortcut than shown in your screenshot -

Using this shortcut, the image opened in Affinity Photo as expected for me -

File 11-04-2022, 13 23 44.jpeg

I hope this helps :)

Thanks @Dan C

I tried Alfreds tutorial before but there is an issue. He says “Scroll down to the Files section and tap on ‘Open In…’” but when I scroll down I have no “Open in”. Where his “Open in” is located, I have an “Open file” option. No “Open in” anywhere. I chose “Open file” since it’s located at the same spot where his “Open in” is located but it’s not working. I thought maybe it’s different since I’m in Sweden and I bought my iPad here but that is most likely not the case. I have my iPad language set to English and it shouldn’t be any different here. It’s a new iPad, latest model and it’s updated so I don’t understand why I don’t have the same options.

001.jpg

002.jpg

• Staff
39 minutes ago, johnsane said:

This is how the settings look now:

003.jpg

Thanks for providing this - I can see your shortcut starts with unnecessary steps, as I didn't require the 'Receive any input from Share Sheet' option.

If you create a new shortcut, following the steps in Alfreds post, does this seem to match your Shortcuts options? :)

When I follow Alfred’s instructions and reach #2 on his list: “Provide an appropriate name for the shortcut & enable 'Show in Share Sheet'”, the “Receive any input from Share Sheet” appears automatically as soon as I enable “Show in Share Sheet”. I can’t find a way around that. 

10 minutes ago, johnsane said:

When I follow Alfred’s instructions and reach #2 on his list: “Provide an appropriate name for the shortcut & enable 'Show in Share Sheet'”, the “Receive any input from Share Sheet” appears automatically as soon as I enable “Show in Share Sheet”. I can’t find a way around that. 

Mine is set to receive Images from Share Sheet, instead of All but is otherwise the same and it works fine.  Having said that, for a long time it did not work, just gave me an error when I tried to use it, maybe they fixed something in a recent version because it's working again for me now.

40 minutes ago, Chris in NZ said:

Mine is set to receive Images from Share Sheet, instead of All but is otherwise the same and it works fine.  Having said that, for a long time it did not work, just gave me an error when I tried to use it, maybe they fixed something in a recent version because it's working again for me now.

I tried Images as well, still not working as it should. Some images open without problems but most of them does not. Nothing happens when I click the shortcut.

• Staff

Thanks for confirming that - can you please try once more for me, creating the Shortcut steps before setting the name/share sheet options for the shortcut, as shown below:

This shortcut I have created (attached below) will open any image from Apple Photos directly into Affinity Photo for me :)

Open In Photo.shortcut

Thank you so much for taking the time.
It’s weird, I don’t have the same options as you. My Shortcuts app doesn’t look the same but I thought that maybe you downloaded a cooler design or something but the options are not the same. 

If you look at my images below, you can see that it starts out the same.

Image 1: I start the Shortcuts app and click the + icon

Image 2: I click on Documents

Image 3: I scroll down to files where you clicked on “Open in…” but for some reason there is no “Open in…” in that exact spot and there isn’t one anywhere else. Instead there is only the “Open File” option and when I choose that option the “Open File in Default App” shows up (image 4). Not “Open File” which showed up when you clicked on “Open in…”.

Image 5: If I click on “Open File” it browses my files, it doesn’t show the “Clipboard/Current Date/Shortcut Input” option that I see in your video.

So I guess the big question is why my Shortcuts app looks so different compared to your app and why I don’t have the “Open in…” option?

Unfortunately I can’t open the shortcut you sent (last image).

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

005.jpg

IMG_2010.jpg

You need to select ‘open app’ not ‘open file’ that you show in your images.

588C2DBB-6C02-4552-943C-57D70640C5E0.jpeg

• Staff

No problem at all, I've since learnt that 'Shared' shortcuts can't be imported by default, and you need to enable this option as covered below-

https://www.howtogeek.com/447421/how-to-allow-untrusted-shortcuts-on-iphone-and-ipad/

In regards to your app looking different, I've not seen this previously and I've certainly not set any custom settings on my iPad to change this. Can you please confirm:

What version of iOS are you running?

Shortcuts is installed through the App Store, if you open the app store and navigate to the app here, does it show as requiring an update?

Many thanks once again :)

32 minutes ago, Dan C said:

No problem at all, I've since learnt that 'Shared' shortcuts can't be imported by default, and you need to enable this option as covered below-

https://www.howtogeek.com/447421/how-to-allow-untrusted-shortcuts-on-iphone-and-ipad/

In regards to your app looking different, I've not seen this previously and I've certainly not set any custom settings on my iPad to change this. Can you please confirm:

What version of iOS are you running?

Shortcuts is installed through the App Store, if you open the app store and navigate to the app here, does it show as requiring an update?

Many thanks once again :)

iPad 15.4.1 and it’s up to date. No updates necessary for Shortcuts in the App Store.