You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi everyone!

I have a little problem using color swatches in affinity (across all three programms).

I defined some colors and safed those in named swatches. To use the colors across all affinity tool, and to use it in some other software.

The strange thing is now, that in some dokuments the colors are differently interprated then in others - also if i use the same color settings for the dokments sometimes i get the correct result and sometimes a different...

Can anybody told me why this happens?? What I am not seeing here??

I will attach two designer dokuments, with the same color settings...but different results!

Thanks for your help!

Andreas

ColorPalette.clr Correct Colors.afpub Strange Colors.afdesign

There is something very odd going on with the way Affinity Designer is interpretting the ISOcoated_v2_300_eci.icc Colour Profile. If you look at how the colour gamut is displayed when your files import the Colour Profile (the two images on the left) you can visually see the difference in how Designer interprets it in the top left image.

Independently of your files I added the ISOcoated_v2_300_eci.icc Colour Profile to my Mac and recreated your file in both Designer and Publisher and the colours display correctly in both as do the colour palettes when using the ISOcoated_v2_300_eci.icc Colour Profile (the two images on the right).

264004092_ColourPalettes.thumb.jpg.c8869c82ffcace8b11cff0e9a00d090b.jpg

When you compare how this strange issue translates the CMYK values for each of the colours in your file you'll see marked differences... Publisher on the left, Designer on the right below.

60017383_ColourValues.thumb.jpg.6ee388f68b1408b9559e03cf2f2c0466.jpg

Not that it is the cause of the issue but where did you export your colour palette from out of interest?

The first four colours in your file use the RGB sliders, the black at the bottom uses the CMYK sliders but it makes no sense why you would get such a discrepency in CMYK colour values between Designer and Publisher when using the same Colour Profile.

I'm unsure if this is a Designer Bug or a possible corrupted Colour Profile or quite what is causing the difference between the two files, maybe one for the Affinity Team?

Affinity Designer 2.4.1.2344 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1.2344 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1.2344
Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.6.8, Magic Mouse

Thanks for you reply hangman!

When I use color swatches I am never sure how to do it correct... Because if you hover on a saved color the values of this color are displayed. But independent of the document setup, the displayed values are showing HSL, RGB, CMYK or Pantone Values - all mixed up!? So what exactly is saved when a color is saved to a swatch? Is the color saved as the values which are used at the moment of saving?? Or are values saved dependent to the document i am in?

Thats why my palette is mixed up a little... for this customer i use RBG documents (web) and CMYK documents (print)... most of the colors are defined while working for print...but some colors have to be optimised for web...so some RGB are mixed.

But however the colors are saved exactly. I used the same colors I saved in a CMYK document in a new CMYK dokument...and got the mentioned results. This should not be - right? The top-left of your upper pics is the result I get...witch looks quite ugly ;-)

Thanks for your help!

In the Designer file you have the underlying RGB color values defined in ROMM:RGB: ISO 22028-2;2013, and in the Publisher file you have them defined in sRGB. If you assign the former to latter, or latter to former, you get identical colors in view whether your document color mode is CMYK or RGB. In the video, I reverse the underlying RGB color modes without changing a single color value and end up having the Publisher document showing as your Designer document showed, and vice versa:

So the apps and palettes work as they are designed. Affinity Publisher and Designer have dual color modes but that is not so obvious because the underlying "other" working space is not explicitly shown.

@Lagarto Good spot, I didn't think to check the default underlying RGB settings for both files, all makes sense now... 🤓

Affinity Designer 2.4.1.2344 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1.2344 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1.2344

1 minute ago, AndreassaerdnA said:

I do understand...but I am still a little confused. I will try some things by my own and I hope i'll get it then...

This may help from the help file...

By default, the colour space is locked when using Sliders (e.g., CMYK sliders) to prevent it from changing. This avoids inadvertently swapping to another mode after using swatches or selecting a different object created with a different colour mode. When unlocked, the Colour panel will remember the colour mode that the selected object was created in. This lock only works on the current session; subsequent sessions will use the HSL colour wheel as default.

I would add colours to a colour palette based on the colour space of the document set up, i.e., RGB and/or HSL sliders for an sRGB web based file and CMYK/Spot colour for a file using a CMYK colour space.

On 11/25/2021 at 5:33 PM, AndreassaerdnA said:

if I change to RBG...assign/convert is inactive...?

You always convert only within the same color mode, so when you switch from RGB to CMYK or CMYK to RGB, the color values [of objects] are not changed. When the color mode stays but you change the profile, you can either assign (= keep color values but typically change visual outlook), or convert (= try to keep visual outlook and change color values as required).

You can have colors defined in the document color palette in any color model you wish. But in CMYK document color mode colors (including RGB based) are simulated on display according to the target CMYK device (this is kind of a permanent soft proof in Affinity apps; in e.g. InDesign RGB based colors are shown in the defined RGB color profile unless forced to be targeted to specific device). This is handy if you want to use vibrant, saturated colors for specific objects (or defined brand colors) as you would get them when you output in RGB, while getting their CMYK conversions when outputting to CMYK (you could naturally define the color in CMYK but then you would get the equivalent visual outlook also when outputting to RGB).

The function of the lock is just to prevent color values from being re-defined automatically just by switching the color model. This allows viewing the underlying conversion values without actually changing the color definitions (re-definition requires manual move of a slider or typing a color value (even the same) in the box). If the lock is off, the actual color model that an object has its color defined would immediately be shown on object selection; otherwise this can easily be seen only if an object has swatch assignment. Personally I prefer working lock on (which is the default) and have all object colors defined with swatch assignments.