You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer - slow development…

I recently got interested in 3D - we arty people like forms materials and color, so, 3D scuplting and painting on surfaces is really fun!

I saw that Nomad Sculpt on iPad should be great, and bought it ($15) - wow! What a great app!

This 3D app, Nomad Scuplt is a one-man-band concering development, and it’s impressing what he has done here!

Great amount of features, superfast, stable, nice rendering of scenes - totally insane app!

What I wonder here is, how come that Serif Labs hasn’t developed Affinity Designer to be a real vector design app after seven years of development?

If one man can do Nomad Sculpt, why can’t Serif give us ALL the features that missing i Designer? Why??

The same can be applied to the development of Affinity Publisher for iPad - it has went more than 40 month since the release of the beta version of Publisher on Mac, but, no sign of life from the iPad-crew on the Publisher for iPad… Perhaps it been abandon…

Happy amateur that playing around with the Affinity Suite - really love typograhics, photographing, colors & forms, AND, Synthesizers!

Macbook Pro 16” M1 2021, iPad Pro 12.9” M1 2021, iPad Pro 10.5” A10X 2017, iMac 27” 5K/i7 late 2015…

3 hours ago, Lee D said:

App development is ongoing for all three apps across macOS, Windows and iPadOS including Publisher for iPad.

But, this have I/we heard now for years - pretty disappointed with the facts that’s when we now have powerful iPads with M1 CPU it’s not the hardware that is the problem, you/devteam is…

Happy amateur that playing around with the Affinity Suite - really love typograhics, photographing, colors & forms, AND, Synthesizers!

Macbook Pro 16” M1 2021, iPad Pro 12.9” M1 2021, iPad Pro 10.5” A10X 2017, iMac 27” 5K/i7 late 2015…

4 hours ago, Lee D said:

App development is ongoing for all three apps across macOS, Windows and iPadOS including Publisher for iPad.

Someone wise once said, "Real artists ship".

2 hours ago, Bryan Rieger said:

Someone wise once said, "Real artists ship".

Can you agree with me concerning the extreme slow development of Affinity Designer (missing core functions) AND, year after years development, Affinity Publisher for iPad hasn’t still passed the Alpha-stadium…

Someone is drinking too much coffee on daytime instead of coding…

Publisher was announced in 2019,  with an target release date of 2020, in five weeks it will be 2022. I work in the IT field and my staff worked from home for almost a year. Software was developed, tested and released. So I do not understand why it taking so long to release publisher for the iPad. Please give us a real update on development status. 

1 hour ago, Donloggins said:

Publisher was announced in 2019,  with an target release date of 2020, in five weeks it will be 2022. I work in the IT field and my staff worked from home for almost a year. Software was developed, tested and released. So I do not understand why it taking so long to release publisher for the iPad. Please give us a real update on development status. 

I can wait, but, it seems hopeless when Serif can’t communicate the status of Publisher for iPad…?

As I said earlier, if one developer can develope Nomad Sculpt 3D alone (totally insane powerful - $15), and Procreate has been updated a lot under the Covid-19 era (just look at the new 5.2 update of Procreate, wow!!)…
so, Serif, when can we see an official beta 1.0 of Publisher for iPad?

this year? Next year? 2023? Never ever?? At least, give us some clue, or, be that ignorant asses as always…

29 minutes ago, AffinityMakesMeSmile said:

this year? Next year? 2023? Never ever?? At least, give us some clue, or, be that ignorant asses as always…

Serif will not, for good reason, communicate a deadline or the development status of projects here. 

It's ready when it's ready!

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

Affinity Suite V 2.4 & Beta 2.(latest)
Better translations with: https://www.deepl.com/translator  
Interested in a robust (selfhosted) PDF Solution? Have a look at Stirling PDF

Life is too short to have meaningless discussions!

• 4 weeks later...

I have mucho love for serif, for bringing Affinity Photo to iPad. AP being my main driver in the serif family of suites.

That said, I agree with the sentiment many feel on here, but my gripes have to do with inclusion of 3D and lack of many modern features such as auto select subject, multitask and many others. 

3D has entered a phase, to where it is now simpler to integrate from a software development stand point.

3D can integrate & coexist with 2D applications -> this has already been proven by procreate.

I recall an article that was shared here in these forum about two years ago, where the Affinity lead developer spoke about 3D and how they have been tinkering with it in R&D.

Well, procreate has proven it’s doable.
A 2D creation app, can coexist & cohabit with 3D.  

If such features like 3D and extrude arrived on affinity photo. Affinity enters a whole new era of creation! Even cutting down on the work time to get things done. 

As many pointed out here:

Nomad Sculpt - 3D sculpting app, built by one guy! Nomad Sculpt is now the leader of sculpting on iPad & iPhone (they took this title away from forger sculpt).

ProCreate - Now allows import of 3D models, which you can paint on. Look at all the videos being put on YouTube from this community. They are so happy to interact with 3D. Procreate, literally created a whole new market within it’s community of 2D creators. 

Here we are with these powerful M1  iPad Pro’s, working with these powerful apps: procreate, nomad, mental canvas & Voxel Max

When I experience these powerful apps, then I come back into my affinity photo, I’m instantly greeted with the sensation of how primitive Affinity photo is.

Don’t get me wrong I LOVE Affinity Photo, but I’m not blind, it’s primitive compared to what’s going in the creative space, on iPad.

We don’t even have a multitask feature. Every other creative app offers this, that’s how far into primitive society we are in, with Affinity photo.  

I really do hope the update we are going to pay for, (which I don’t mind paying) The 2.0 update has something mighty for us.

Specs:

• iPad Pro 12.9 (2020 Model

— —- - - — - - - ——- - - —- - - - —- - - - - 

My Affinity Photo iPad Creations:

Urban Ninja vs. Drone || Folded Space || 1st Revolt