Puffton

Large layer behind clipping mask is truncated

I have a large layer (the map of country) behind a clipping mask as a kind of zoom-box about a certain region. Dimension-wise it's very large (just large enough that Illustrator can handle it), but in Affinity Designer it is extremely truncated/cropped.

The reason I have a large object behind the clipping mask is I export different versions of the file by making adjustments and moving the layer behind the clipping mask. In other words, any one part of the large layer behind the clipping mask can at some point be exported to a final result.

UPDATE: The clipping mask is also rasterizing(!) the large layer when exported to PDF (but not other, simpler stuff like vectors placed within the mask)... this is not the behavior of Illustrator.

Just an update to this thread, if anyone else is curious: I have sent the file.

The file size was reduced by some 30% in converting to afdesign (further reinforcing my theory that details are actually left out in the conversion step AI -> AFDESIGN).

Is anyone working on this? It's a pretty serious issue, being that it leaves a substantial chunk of my AI-files when converting (in essence making the AFDESIGN files useless). AI -> AFDESIGN conversion goes from 982 KB -> 665 KB. Tested in the latest beta, and it persists.

Can you explain what you mean by "Affinity Designer it is extremely truncated/cropped.". Can you point to what part on the design looks different in Affinity as they look the same to me.

File size difference means nothing when comparing between Affinity and other file formats as we just tend to be more efficient.

Can you explain what you mean by "Affinity Designer it is extremely truncated/cropped.". Can you point to what part on the design looks different in Affinity as they look the same to me.

File size difference means nothing when comparing between Affinity and other file formats as we just tend to be more efficient.

A huge layer of the map of all of Japan (in the clipping mask/'zoom window' top left) is cropped severely. Essentially all vectors that are not visible on the canvas are discarded, which is problematic since I used to move the large map around in illustrator (new chapter, new part of the country -> adjust the positioning of the underlying layer).

A huge layer of the map of all of Japan (in the clipping mask/'zoom window' top left) is cropped severely. Essentially all vectors that are not visible on the canvas are discarded, which is problematic since I used to move the large map around in illustrator (new chapter, new part of the country -> adjust the positioning of the underlying layer).

We load the PDF stream from AI files to import them. The PDF stream doesn't contain the data not in the crop window. 

The native part of an Illustrator file is private and not shared by Adobe. This is also true of even other Adobe applications.

I'll try exporting to PDF using "Preserve Illustrator Editing Capabilities" in an illustrator trial then, to see if that works.

EDIT: No luck with latest Beta of AD :(

I think your problem is just coming from the fact that the PDF stream inside the AI file is actually optimising away the map data that doesn't intersect with the page - and I'm not sure you can do anything about that. An alternative would be to just export that map once on its own and load that into Designer and save it. Now you have the map that you could just use in place of your old (cropped) map for any new designs you make. I know this isn't ideal but if you opened that file in any of Adobe's other applications, they would also exhibit the same cropped map - it's not a case of Affinity Designer not reading it properly - it's just that the data isn't in the PDF stream because it was optimised away when Illustrator saved it.