You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How To Reset The Bounding Box In Designer...

If it is a simple thing, not a group, then you can use the Add from Layer > Geometry > Add and you will wind up with a reset bounding box. Obviously if it is a group or a Curves layer more needs to be done.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

• Staff

Hi @Brian Lucas,

Although not technically a 'reset', if you need to quickly edit an object that you've rotated you can use Cycle Selection Box on the Context Toolbar, with the Move Tool activated - image.png

This will change from 'base box' to 'regular bounds', which should show the non-rotated bounds for your rotated object, as such -

image.png

I hope this helps :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

3 hours ago, Brian Lucas said:

I believe Affinity Designer needs a tool to reset the bounding box like adobe illustrator.

Just curious but where would you want or need to do this to do something you can't do using the Cycle Selection Box feature @Dan C mentioned?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I found a "workaround" on resetting the bounding box for the following objects:

GROUPS: Ungroup then regroup. Skew, rotation, and bounding box will be reset.

image.thumb.png.98562dcf3fde0d9d4dab7737d73665c5.png

image.thumb.png.560c3aa8b6c4ee6585fdfaef53e7c6f0.png

SHAPES: It's impossible in itself but you can place it in a group to have the bounding box reset.

CURVES: Use an operation on your OBJECT. For me, I create a small rectangle and place it on a curve that I want to reset. I use ADD operation on them. Do take note that if you have round corners, they would be baked. I suggest that remove them first, and then reapply after resetting the bounding box. Also, the NEW OBJECT would have the fill and stroke of the OBJECT UNDERNEATH. In my example, it used the green fill instead of the red.

image.png.cc78e6210b00b2e989ed95b1e966481a.png

image.png.bd2066073df34d07758fb23c402cbce7.png

image.png.2a5c8a5641e4c448dde4f533c6e4ead0.png

I do hope that Affinity would have a simpler way to reset the bounding box permanently, but for now, these workarounds would do.

2 hours ago, lalcimo said:

Use an operation on your OBJECT. For me, I create a small rectangle and place it on a curve that I want to reset. I use ADD operation on them.

Note: You don’t need to add the new layer before doing the Geometry operation, you can just select the layer and use Geometry Add. (This works with Curve, Curves and Shape layers – amongst others – but it will, as you say, bake shapes into curves.)

22 hours ago, GarryP said:

Note: You don’t need to add the new layer before doing the Geometry operation, you can just select the layer and use Geometry Add. (This works with Curve, Curves and Shape layers – amongst others – but it will, as you say, bake shapes into curves.)

Ooh. I didn't know you could do that. XD

• 5 months later...

I have a group of objects at an angle, to which the bounding box is skew and I want to very simply transform it but the angle of the box make it impossible to do evenly. I cant do the "add" workaround because of the group. A simple "cycle-box-orientation" handle would be very helpful.

• Staff

Hi @Godlessape,

Does Select > Cycle Selection Box with your group selected allow you to achieve the transform you require? :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

• Staff

Apologies! On the iPad with your Group selected and the Move Tool active, select the Move Tool icon on the Context Toolbar and in this list you should see the 'Cycle Selection Box' option - 

image.png

I hope this helps!

Please note -

Many thanks!

• 2 months later...

Hello, found this helpful topic as I was looking for a "reset bounding box" option somewhere.

Imho it would be very useful to have this option, I used to use it very often in Illustrator

Thanks.

11 minutes ago, dok said:

Imho it would be very useful to have this option, I used to use it very often in Illustrator

Does selecting the object & using Geometry > Add not work for you? You can create a keyboard shortcut for that if you want to make it easier to use.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 1 month later...

I've said this before in other threads, but it is pertinent to this thread, too. so...

Every serious vector-based illustration program should provide for transforming selections disproportionally in any direction needed, not just horizontally and vertically.

So first, it is a very good thing that Affinity bounding boxes 'remember' their contents' rotation. Since Affinity does not provide transform tools, but only provides transform handles on bounding boxes, that is the only way to perform on-page scaling in directions other than vertical and horizontal. Yes, I agree that one should be able to permanently re-set an object's to page-normal when desired, but a rotated bounding box is a very useful thing.

Inkscape, for one example, insists on all bounding boxes always being page-normal. So when you need to scale a rotated  selection in the direction of its rotated orientation, you have to 'un-rotate' it so that the desired direction of scaling is either horizontal or vertical, perform the scaling, and then re-rotate it to its intended orientation. That's needlessly tedious.

But Affinity's treatment is still senselessly limited. Consider an object that is rotated 35 degrees. Its rotated bounding box is 'remembered'. So you can disproportionately scale it in either the 35 degree or 125 degree directions. But by what logic is it assumed that the illustrator does not need to scale the rotated object in some other direction that is pertinent and meaningful to the illustration.

Affinity bounding boxes provide an absurdly redundant FIVE rotation handles! One of them already has a different visual treatment: the 'lollypop' handle. Give that handle a practical and useful difference: Enable it to rotate the bounding box around the selection when a modifier key is pressed, thereby enabling the illustrator to 'aim' the transform handles in whatever direction needed, relative to the selection.

JET

• 2 months later...
On 8/10/2022 at 1:56 AM, Bungfil said:

It is possible to reset all bounding boxes by exporting as pdf and then opening the pdf file.

The cycle selection idea works great, but it is not permanent. The bounding box returns to normal after you click off the object.

I often need to center images that are made of smaller images (some rotated). The bounding box for the group is not tight enough around the image to center it correctly. The Geometry Add idea doesn't work for me, either. Exporting to a PDF and then opening it was a perfect solution for my projects. Thank you, Bunfil.

• 4 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, fdarnel said:

Well, in Designer 2, if i use Layer Geometry Add on a curve, the object just disappears…

Make sure it's a closed curve. Geometry operations don't work with open curves.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• Staff
3 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

Make sure it's a closed curve. Geometry operations don't work with open curves.

However, in V2.2 the 'Add' Geometry option will no longer reset the Bounding Box, even for a Closed Curve object. This has been discussed further recently here -

A feature request for a dedicated 'Reset Bounding Box' option is currently logged with our developers, under consideration for a future version :)

Please note -

Many thanks!