You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Publisher crashes when moving an image

I have a Newsletter that I have been working on for some time, including several images. Today I was attempting to insert another image into a textbox. I used the following procedure:

1. In the Layers panel, ensure that I am in the correct text box.
  2. Locate the position in the text to insert the image and double-click.
  3. Use File > Place to locate and load the image to be inserted.
  4. Select the image with the move tool  and ensure it is identified as active in the Layers Panel.
  5. Click on the Foat Text button in the context toolbar. This does not always seem to have any effect, the image still sits above the text, or sometimes it seems to have become almost fully transpaent.
  6. With the image layer selected and with the move tool selected, use the Shift-Arrow keys to move the image to the right place.
  7. At this point Publisher crashes.

Despite always attempting this process the same each time, i sometimes find that the image gets loaded outside the text box and I have to explicitly move it into the text box layer. Having successfully re-located the image this does not seem to affect the crashing - it crashes whether it needed re-locating or not.

Here is the Dump file:

2f6e1f30-107c-4d91-9e2a-b2fb573e2c96.dmp

Here is the .afpublish file:

FOCWNews44 Autumn Winter 2021 v10.1.afpub

And here is the image I am trying to place and move:

552530780_Fourleaves40mm.jpg.d99e0ae393a32f1b08cf9da8c182d958.jpg

I do not have Hardware Accelleration active. I am using Publisher 1,10.4 (latest update).

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

• Staff

Hi John,

So I can recreate this at my end please could you tell me exactly which text box is the correct one? It may also aid in recreating the crash if you could provide a package file so that all images within the file are included. Just incase they affect the crash in some way.

Thanks
C

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

Thanks @Callum. I attach the packaged publisher file. I have added the image file Four Leaves 40mm.jpg to the Image folder in the package. This is the one I was trying to insert. I trried to insert in the frame labelled (The Friends of Coombe ... in column two line two, just after the words "Sweet Chestnut ".

Package.zip

The three images on the right-hand side have been moved by Publisher as I was trying to re-align after loading the new image. If I try to move them, it crashes.

If all else fails, then if I re-install the previous version (1.10.3) of Publisher, will this read the versions saved by 1.10.4?

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

On 11/23/2021 at 3:48 PM, John Rostron said:

If all else fails, then if I re-install the previous version (1.10.3) of Publisher, will this read the versions saved by 1.10.4?

Update: I have tried installing Publisher 1.9.2 and 1.10.3. They will read my afpub file, but they have the same problem. I can place an image (and also replace an image), but when I attempt to move it, Publisher crashes.

John

I am still no nearer in using Publisher to produce my newsletter. I have had to start agin using Serif Page Plus X9, which I used to use to produce my newsletters. I was able to create the text frames in PP and then copy and paste the text from the Publisher file, and then add the images manually - without any crahes!

I just hope that this gets fixed before my next newsletter in the Spring.

John

Not that it is any consolation to you I can confirm that moving the image that if flowing off 1st page bottom RH Two Tree Trunks causes Pub 1.10.4 to crash, which I think is linked to the complexity of the layer structure where some images are fixed, some are floating with text, the text box is spanning two pages whilst still overflowing (red dot on text frame) with another text box in that layer for the first page number.

If you do your text first then place the images where you want then in the text, but main thing is not to paste with the text box highlighted as that will fix them at an immovable position

Package 2.zip

Alan Pickup

Windows 11 Home all Affinity suite of Apps PC and Gigabyte Laptop 16gb Ram and Nvidia GTX1660 Super on each.

• 1 month later...
  • Staff
On 11/23/2021 at 3:48 PM, John Rostron said:

Thanks @Callum. I attach the packaged publisher file. I have added the image file Four Leaves 40mm.jpg to the Image folder in the package. This is the one I was trying to insert. I trried to insert in the frame labelled (The Friends of Coombe ... in column two line two, just after the words "Sweet Chestnut ".

Package.zip 8.69 MB · 6 downloads

The three images on the right-hand side have been moved by Publisher as I was trying to re-align after loading the new image. If I try to move them, it crashes.

John

I Apologise for the delayed response I was out of the office shortly after replying to this thread and unfortunately with the Christmas rush this slipped through the net. I have found that if you unpin the image shown at the bottom right of page 1 the app no longer crashes when trying to move it. This should work as a workaround for the time being while I get this investigated further.

Thanks
C

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

@Callum,

Thanks for the suggestion. I had to complete the newsletter by copying the taxt over to Page Plus 7 in order to get it out.

If I have similar problems for future issues I shall see if there is a similar workaround.

John