Puffton

Dashed lines in .ai file are now solid

This will be improved as soon as Affinity supports dashed lines. It shouldn't take us to long to add it so keep a look out for it in the free updates.

With the added dashed lines support it works decently, but there are some issues when importing from .ai:

- Some solid lines show up as dashed after importing into AD (I know you guys are eager to show off the new feature, but it's a bit much, lol!)

- Some dashed lines should run to the end of the page, but a small page margin is introduced by AD (the line ends a little bit before the page does).

Sent the original AI-file to you earlier Tony, but can re-send if need be (just tell me where to email it).

EDIT: But interestingly the solid lines remain solid when viewed in AD, it is only a problem when exported to PDF, at which point some of them become dashed!

Screenshots of dashed line running to end of page in AI but not in AF (after exporting to PDF, but they look the same in the editors):

post-1166-0-45208600-1415135655_thumb.png

post-1166-0-20580500-1415135665_thumb.png

This is interesting! Is there any chance you could send a copy to support@seriflabs.com so I could take a look at it? I think that DaveH has already fixed the problem with it being a bit too eager to make dashed lines on output, but the issue with the line dash placement is interesting and I could do with taking a look... I know that AI has the notion of dash patterns that fit to corners and we don't have that at present (I'm waiting for someone to say they need it first before adding it - it causes issues that mean it won't export to PDF without converting everything to polygons or generating incorrect looking results - which I think is what has happened here because the AI file's PDF stream may contain this incorrect placement that you're seeing?)

This is interesting! Is there any chance you could send a copy to support@seriflabs.com so I could take a look at it? I think that DaveH has already fixed the problem with it being a bit too eager to make dashed lines on output, but the issue with the line dash placement is interesting and I could do with taking a look... I know that AI has the notion of dash patterns that fit to corners and we don't have that at present (I'm waiting for someone to say they need it first before adding it - it causes issues that mean it won't export to PDF without converting everything to polygons or generating incorrect looking results - which I think is what has happened here because the AI file's PDF stream may contain this incorrect placement that you're seeing?)

Sent!

Here's what I'm seeing in Illustrator:

post-5-0-48792900-1415185014_thumb.png

...and here's what I see in the Designer beta:

post-5-0-12348800-1415185028_thumb.png

I think they look the same - am I looking at the wrong bit? :S

[EDIT] I've just realised that you meant it was on export to PDF that you saw a problem... I've tried this and here's a screenshot of both exported PDFs side-by-side and they look the same too, I think? (with the obvious exception that I don't have the font, so my fonts differ between screenshots)

post-5-0-97651100-1415185554_thumb.png

Matt

Ah! Sorry about that. It's word that is slightly cropping the PDF as it's embedded. Didn't double-check to compare that, as I don't have Illustrator on this computer right now. Just compared my old PDF:s to the new ones I get from AD.

Can you see the issue where the clipping box has a dashed border though? That's another issue related to the dashed lines.

Ah, okay - no problem :)  Yes, as I mentioned DaveH has already fixed the other problem with the solid line appearing dashed in the PDF output... It's because the AI file has (at some point) defined a custom dash pattern for that particular frame but then been changed to be a solid line - this information is in the file and I honoured it when reading the file, setting the dash pattern but then telling the program to show it as a solid line (so if you changed style to the dash style you'd get that custom dash pattern appear, just like the original)... however, on export, I tested to see if there was a dash pattern and then if there was I exported as a dashed line (rather than also testing to see if they style was set to dashed style - oops!)