You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Jagged Brush Lines in Affinity Photo ( Brush lines are too sharp ).

First of all I want to say hi and thanks to each one of you who decided to waste 2 minutes of their time to read my thread and possible helping me out.

As the title states the issue I have a problem in Affinity Photo with the brushes. I'll provide a couple screenshots below, so you can get the idea of what I'm talking about. Pretty sure this isn't as rera as I think it is but I literally did not find any information that could help me out on google, here on the forum, reddit and different sites including youtube videos.

I bought the program around 2 days ago since I bought a drawing tablet mainly because I decided to try out with the digital art. Anyway...
I'm trying to make some twitch icons, sub badges, logos etc. or even discord emojis but the low resolution of the brushes is killing me.

Things I already tried:

1. I've contacted the support and still waiting for an answer.
2. I've tried different brushes ( big - small - meduim ) size and they're all the same.
3. Tried to play with the brush settings and that didn't help either.
4. Tried to play with the flow and hardness of the brush and nothing....
5. A milion times I made sure that I'm using the "Paint Brush Tool" and not something else.
6. Tried to use different style of brushes etc. and didn't solve anything.
7. Uninstalled the app then installing it again didn't help.
8. Tried different settings when creating a new canvas ( including size ).
( The main settings that I'm normally trying to use are: DPI: 300-400 / Page Width: 500 / Page Height: 400 / Pixels / RGB/8 / sRGB IEC61966-2.1 ).

The only way to get a nice looking brush is to make the canvas 5000x5000px but then when I save the image it's too big to be uploaded on discord or twitch.

PC Specs:
Intel-Core i7-9700
nVidia RTX 2070 (8GB)
RAM 16GB DDR4
I'm 100% sure it's not from the tablet, since it's the same when I use the mouse but the tablet is GAOMON M106K PRO.
Also the brushes I'm using are the "default basic" ones.

P.S: Check if there's a red text on the screenshots, if there is a red text it means that the screenshots is an example taken from a youtube video.

sc1.png

sc2.png

sc4.png

sc3.png

Edited by LifeDoesntMatter

Welcome to the Affinity Forums!

Try turning on the stabilizer. And also reduce "Spacing" in the brush settings.

brush_settings.png.805378568280a833d22668a98f8a243a.png

Also make sure that you view the document at 100% scale (double click on the magnifying glass icon).

Hi LifeDoesn'tMatter!

As far as I understand, you mean the pixelisation of the brush strokes, right? That is in fact a native problem of pxel images. The pixels always have to be so small, that means that the resolution of the image has to be so high, that they assemble to a smooth looking graphic, without aliasing. Images with higher resolutions allow smoother edges. But it is verry important to watch your images with a zoom factor of 100% (Original Size) to get a reliable impression. If you zoom in (f.e. 200%), the pixels will be displayed bigger and the edges will of course look more pixelated.

If you are creating images that are meant to be published on the web, the images should have the size/resolution (pixels x pixels) in which they will appear on screen (on the website).

If you create images that are meant to be printed, you should also take care that they have the right relative resolution, right from the start. The image size of digital images is measured in pixels horizontal x pixels vertical. If you have f.e. an image with a resolution of 1920 x 1080 pixels, and your screen is set to this resolution, the image will fill the whole screen with its original size (100% zoom factor). But pixels don't have fixed sizes. F.e. Screens with the same resolution can have different sizes. So for print you need an additional value: the relative resolution that dedicates the pixels size to an analog dimensional unit. The standard resolution for print is 300 pixels per Inch. Take care that your images always have a big enough size and resolution for print, so that you don't need to scale them for it, because scaling always means a loss of quality (bluring or pixelisation).

Hope that helps a little. Not sure if this is what you wanted to know.