You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

1 minute ago, NicholasG said:

When working on a raw file in the developer persona then clicking develop, is the resulting .afphoto file compromised and no longer retains the raw data?

The afphoto document / file is a separate item, so yes it has different information. To call it compromised is perhaps technically correct but probably an inaccurate use of the word. 

The information from the raw file is by nature altered but the raw file still has the original "from the camera" information. Most raw files will have a bit depth of between 10 to 14 bits the affinity file will be either 8 or 16 or 32 bits. You get to choose.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

9 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

The afphoto document / file is a separate item, so yes it has different information. To call it compromised is perhaps technically correct but probably an inaccurate use of the word. 

The information from the raw file is by nature altered but the raw file still has the original "from the camera" information. Most raw files will have a bit depth of between 10 to 14 bits the affinity file will be either 8 or 16 or 32 bits. You get to choose.

Thanks.
I guess my concern is that if I take the afphoto document that I processed back into developer because I want to bring out more detail in shadows, would the details that were in the original raw file still be there or are they lost. 

That would depend on the bit depth you used to save the afphoto file. If you saved it a 8-bits per pixel  then you would most probably lose some shadow detail. If you saved it at 16- or 32-bits then you would probably preserve it.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

1 minute ago, John Rostron said:

That would depend on the bit depth you used to save the afphoto file. If you saved it a 8-bits per pixel  then you would most probably lose some shadow detail. If you saved it at 16- or 32-bits then you would probably preserve it.

John

Thanks, much appreciated. 

14 minutes ago, NicholasG said:

would the details that were in the original raw file still be there or are they lost. 

The details in the raw file are still in the raw file, they are not in the developed / processed file. 

You will not have the original values from the raw file when you return the developed file to the Develop persona. 

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

25 minutes ago, user_0815 said:

In such cases where I am not sure about enough shadow detail, I do not add (or even reduce contrast) in the develop persona. Then later in the .aphoto file, I add contrast or move the black point as needed. This preserves details gives me more room for adjustments later on.

Good to know. Thanks