Sign in to follow this  
Art Adams

Incorrect use of term "gain" in scopes

Hi-

I just realized that the gain control under the scopes menu does not function the way a video person would expect gain to function. "Gain" means amplify or magnify the displayed signal, not increase graticule brightness.

For example, it's common for those of us in the video world to look at a vectorscope in 2x gain mode, which zooms into the scope by 100%. This is due to the fact that real world hues are rarely saturated enough to fill the scope. Also, the most commonly used test charts in video, the DSC Labs Chroma Du Monde series, are printed at 50% saturation due to limitations in ink saturation technology so a vectorscope must be set at 2x gain to interpret those charts correctly.

Your "gain" control is really a "graticule brightness" control. A true gain control would be useful, but that's not what you have here.

I hope you keep heading forward with this. I do a lot of analysis of stills pulled from HD and digital cinema raw files in Photoshop and Lightroom, and I'd rather use a stills app with a set of real scopes to do this.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance. I consult and teach for DSC Labs so I know waveforms/vectorscopes quite well, plus I helped design a product (Video Devices Pix-E monitor series) that incorporates scopes.

Thanks.