Art Adams

[Fixed] Vectorscope layout is incorrect

Hi- I'm a cinematographer and I just bought Affinity based on the fact that it offers video-style waveform and vector scopes. That's huge for me as I often shoot stills as proof-of-concepts for commercial shoots and I need to quickly manipulate them to show to a client and director, and no other stills program (or at least none that I'm aware of) has exposure controls that allow me to evaluate and correct exposure and color so easily and consistently across photos.

But:

The vectorscope layout is whacked. Red should be at the top around 11:30. Blue should be roughly at 3:00. Green should be around 7:00. There should be a line (the "I" line) that falls between red and yellow and makes for a perfect flesh tone target. Default gain should be 2x (or 200%).

I've attached an image showing what a proper vectorscope should look like.

I consult and teach training courses for DSC Labs, who make the Chroma Du Monde HD test charts, so I've done a lot of work with waveform/vectorscopes both as a cinematographer and as a tech guru. Feel free to get in touch if I can help out in correcting this.

Thanks.

post-22508-0-25860900-1448738193_thumb.jpeg

There should be a line (the "I" line) that falls between red and yellow and makes for a perfect flesh tone target. 

Glad to hear a pro say that :) 

thanks for your engagement! 

Thanks for this! We'll see to it that this is updated asap - thanks again! :)

2 months later and nothing... told ya' :mellow:

Not very "ASAP" is it?

2 months later and nothing... told ya' :mellow:

Not very "ASAP" is it?

Sorry - it's not deliberate, things have been extremely hectic but it will get done...

It has now been more than 1 year since i first brought up this issue and stil no news (even though we just got a major update). I do not inderstand how there is still no update on a feature that is basicly broken. People who use vector scopes would not use this thing. It is not a "preference" it is an industry standard!

Once again: These are the correct angles for all colors. Skin is at 123deg (I).

image017.jpg

Im no software engineer but for the life of me i bet someone could fix this in less than an afternoon.

It has now been more than 1 year since i first brought up this issue and stil no news (even though we just got a major update). I do not inderstand how there is still no update on a feature that is basicly broken. People who use vector scopes would not use this thing. It is not a "preference" it is an industry standard!

Once again: These are the correct angles for all colors. Skin is at 123deg (I).

image017.jpg

Im no software engineer but for the life of me i bet someone could fix this in less than an afternoon.

True, but who needs a correct vector scope if you can have funky 360 editing capabilities https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/22640-affinity-photo-15-sneak-peek-hdr-and-360-image-editing/?p=106366  :lol:

(Irony off)

Err... no actually - when we updated the graticule we spotted a bug in the Vectorscope's calculations and it has taken more time to actually fix properly. I saw it being fixed yesterday so I know it isn't trivial, but it's being done...

Honestly dosen´t quiete convince me personally that this takes over half a year but you guys clearly have your priorities  :lol:

I´m probably going to swear anyway asa AP 1.5 comes out because of many of those minor things that may just as well take moooonths to resolve cause bigger features are worked on simultaneously (...and who does not love batch processing and macros?!).

in the end only a cup of tea and time can help both of us, users and developers  :D

Just a little note to all the members making snarky comments on this forum.

Affinity has been around for ~ six years. According to Adobe's historical development they have 20 years on Affinity as their first release was in 1988, 26 years in development.

Courtesy of https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adobe_Photoshop

"Photoshop was developed in 1987 by the American brothers Thomas and John Knoll, who sold the distribution license to Adobe Systems Incorporated in 1988. Thomas Knoll, a PhD student at the University of Michigan, began writing a program on his Macintosh Plus to display grayscale images on a monochrome display. This program, called Display, caught the attention of his brother John Knoll, an Industrial Light & Magic employee, who recommended that Thomas turn it into a full-fledged image editing program. Thomas took a six-month break from his studies in 1988 to collaborate with his brother on the program. Thomas renamed the program ImagePro, but the name was already taken.[9] Later that year, Thomas renamed his program Photoshop and worked out a short-term deal with scanner manufacturer Barneyscan to distribute copies of the program with a slide scanner; a "total of about 200 copies of Photoshop were shipped" this way.[10]

During this time, John traveled to Silicon Valley and gave a demonstration of the program to engineers at Apple and Russell Brown, art director at Adobe. Both showings were successful, and Adobe decided to purchase the license to distribute in September 1988.[9] While John worked on plug-ins in California, Thomas remained in Ann Arbor writing code. Photoshop 1.0 was released on 19 February 1990 for Macintosh exclusively.[11][12] The Barneyscan version included advanced color editing features that were stripped from the first Adobe shipped version. The handling of color slowly improved with each release from Adobe and Photoshop quickly became the industry standard in digital color editing. At the time Photoshop 1.0 was released, digital retouching on dedicated high end systems, such as the SciTex, cost around $300 an hour for basic photo retouching."

It is easy to whine.

Just a little note to all the members making snarky comments on this forum.

Affinity has been around for ~ six years. According to Adobe's historical development they have 20 years on Affinity as their first release was in 1988, 26 years in development.

Courtesy of https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adobe_Photoshop

"Photoshop was developed in 1987 by the American brothers Thomas and John Knoll, who sold the distribution license to Adobe Systems Incorporated in 1988. Thomas Knoll, a PhD student at the University of Michigan, began writing a program on his Macintosh Plus to display grayscale images on a monochrome display. This program, called Display, caught the attention of his brother John Knoll, an Industrial Light & Magic employee, who recommended that Thomas turn it into a full-fledged image editing program. Thomas took a six-month break from his studies in 1988 to collaborate with his brother on the program. Thomas renamed the program ImagePro, but the name was already taken.[9] Later that year, Thomas renamed his program Photoshop and worked out a short-term deal with scanner manufacturer Barneyscan to distribute copies of the program with a slide scanner; a "total of about 200 copies of Photoshop were shipped" this way.[10]

During this time, John traveled to Silicon Valley and gave a demonstration of the program to engineers at Apple and Russell Brown, art director at Adobe. Both showings were successful, and Adobe decided to purchase the license to distribute in September 1988.[9] While John worked on plug-ins in California, Thomas remained in Ann Arbor writing code. Photoshop 1.0 was released on 19 February 1990 for Macintosh exclusively.[11][12] The Barneyscan version included advanced color editing features that were stripped from the first Adobe shipped version. The handling of color slowly improved with each release from Adobe and Photoshop quickly became the industry standard in digital color editing. At the time Photoshop 1.0 was released, digital retouching on dedicated high end systems, such as the SciTex, cost around $300 an hour for basic photo retouching."

It is easy to whine.

Snarky or not, what i am "whining" about is a basic functionality fix for a broken product that has been too preoccupied with making new features and not giving existing buggy features the attention they deserve.

Bugfixing isnt sexy and it doesnt move product and create headlines in the same way as new features do, thats my problem.

Otherwise, thanks for your useless "holier-than-thou" comment.