You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to download Affinty for Mac to iMac

Hello.

I start with an apology.

I have tried looking at some on line help before posting this question but cannot find what I am looking for.

I am brand new to Apple Mac and I am trying to understand it all.  I have an iMac and purchased the Affinty Photo version for Mac.  I had always used the Windows version and had no problems understanding it. Now when I try to come into Affinity it seems to download from an app and then asks me a question about disc image.  I am trying to understand what I do not understand if that makes sense. I have the Affinty icon on the tool bar at the base of my desktop.

Have I perhaps set the software to download by default from a cloud based app (it may have been the option the app choose when I purchased it)? I thought I could download the software to my Apple iMac and it would sit on my iMac hard disc - again it is obvious that I am trying to understand Apple systems ( I have delayed the option to take part in Apple on line tutorials as I cannot get to grips with someone talking to me on line while wearing a face mask).

To summerise - can I download the Affinty for Mac software onto the desktop?

Thank you - Jacqueline.

Hello Jacqueline, if you have bought the app from the Affinity store, dose this page on how to install it help you?: https://store.serif.com/en-gb/help/installation-guide/

macOS 10.15.7  15" Macbook Pro, 2017  |  4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU  |  Radeon Pro 555 2GB GPU + Integrated Intel HD Graphics 630 1.536GB  |  16GB RAM  |  Wacom Intuos4 M

Disk image is a piece of software that pretends to be a Disc containing files. It is very similar to a Folder. It will say something like Affinity-Photo-1.10.dmg and it will be in your Downloads folder, just double click it so it will open up. Now you will have a Window with the Affinity Photo application and a folder named Applications. Drag the Affinity Photo into the Applications folder  and wait until it has been copied to the Mac's actual Application folder.

Now click on the background of the window with the Affinity Photo application and the Applications folder. You will be in the Finder (Mac's file explorer) choose File > Eject from the Menu Bar, this will get rid of the disk mount image disk.

You are ready to run, you can keep the file named Affinity-Photo-1.10.dmg  or throw it away, I would wait a week or so before throwing it away.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Just had a thought, you may be describing a security question from Mac's Operating System. Just say yes to downloading the dmg file,

Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

14 hours ago, Jacqueline said:

I have the Affinty icon on the tool bar at the base of my desktop.

On Macs, that toolbar is know as the Dock. If you have an Affinity application icon on it, it almost certainly means you have already installed the app, & can start it up simply by clicking once on its Dock icon.

As @Old Bruce said, if you are getting a message about a disk image, that almost certainly means you are clicking on the dmg file that will install the app, which you do not need if you can start the app using its Dock icon.

To double-check that the app is already installed, you can click & hold on its Dock icon & from the Option menu item that pops up, choose "Show in Finder." If that opens a window titled "Applications," you are good to go.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

Hello to all and an apology for not getting back as quickly as I should have.  I am actively using the software but every time I click the Affinity Photo icon it takes me to the message that Old Bruce has described. I did purchase the Mac license from Serif/Affinity directly.  I am beginning to understand it a little better.  Initially there was a window that came up with the Affinity icon and an arrow suggesting I 'take it over' to the Application. I'm not getting that option now - or at least I think I am not! I will use the option don't show me this message again and see if that helps.

I'll go out go Affinity and come back in and choose the option to go to the disk image option - Yes?

Once again thank you all.

this is what your Photo icon in the applications folder should look like, I have some other affinity applications here too. 

2009591736_ScreenShot2021-11-21at7_45_48AM.png.f32d956434facc32370aabd0713d88ba.png

8 hours ago, Jacqueline said:

I am actively using the software but every time I click the Affinity Photo icon it takes me to the message that Old Bruce has described.

Where (in what folder) is this icon you are clicking on & what does it look like? 

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Hello again.

Just a reminder that I am brand new to the Apple systems and it is taking some time to get used to them.  I did (by luck than good management) move the software to the Applications section.  When I clicked the icon in that Application section it opened up the software.  What I am not used to is the way Apple arranges the top bar - when Affinity is open it looks just like the Safari bar - it was only when I saw the Affinity Photo name in the corner that I realised I was in the software. I am beginning to learn the system better.  

I hope I have it correct this time - once again thank you to all for their support.

Jacqueline. 

Hi @Jacqueline,

Sounds like you have it all done correctly.

The Top Bar is referred to as the Menu Bar. It will change according to which Application / Program is running.

Here is something to amuse yourself with, press and hold down (keep it held down the whole time) the Command key and tap the Tab key. You should see a collection of all the currently active / running / open applications's icons in the middle of the screen. Each tap of the tab key will move a subtle highlight over to another icon. When you let go of the Command key you will now be in that Application and the Menu Bar should reflect this.

2022788954_ScreenShot2021-11-22at7_25_54AM.png.78be0d1478887058d0eb5662ccef347a.png

9 hours ago, Jacqueline said:

What I am not used to is the way Apple arranges the top bar - when Affinity is open it looks just like the Safari bar

It is the same for all apps, not just the Affinity ones & Safari. The menu bar item immediately to the right of the Apple logo (which is also opens a menu if you click on it) always shows the name of the active application -- it is often referred to as the "frontmost" app.

However, the menu bar items after those first two will change depending on whatever the frontmost app puts there. So for example, in Safari the third menu is "Edit" while in the Affinity apps it could be something completely different (& change depending on which persona you are in).

This can be confusing at first but once you get used to it, you should see why it was designed this way -- you don't need a separate menu bar in each open document window, which provides more screen space for each of those windows.

Affinity Photo