You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Where is the MANUAL for Affinity Photo?

Affinity apparently used to have a very good printed manual. But now they don't. I know some people prefer printed so they can read it wherever, but this is a computer program (as we used to say in the old days) so what more natural than having a PDF or e-book of the same thing? It's reasonable to think that most Affinity users will have a computer (or tablet etc.), no? I don't see many people arguing that watching hours of videos is great fun, plus you can't listen to your favorite music at the same time.

4 hours ago, pingle99 said:

Affinity apparently used to have a very good printed manual.

Affinity is the name of Serif's newest trio of applications (APub, AD, & AP). They have never published a paper manual for any of them.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 10 months later...

I would like a PDF manual for 2.0

Heading out on a long flight, I would like to READ and STUDYthe manual.

Printing the help for the MAC version page by page by page is neither practical nor sensible.

being able to take the PDF on my iPad mini is a far better option.

Please publish the PDF!

3 hours ago, Firewallbill said:

I would like a PDF manual for 2.0

Heading out on a long flight, I would like to READ and STUDYthe manual.

Printing the help for the MAC version page by page by page is neither practical nor sensible.

being able to take the PDF on my iPad mini is a far better option.

Please publish the PDF!

You have the online help on your iPad already - it opens directly from the application and not from the web so you could peruse the help on your flight.

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

1 minute ago, MikeTO said:

You have the online help on your iPad already - it opens directly from the application and not from the web so you could peruse the help on your flight.

There are a lot of differences in how the iPad & desktop apps work, so only some of the help topics will be complete or accurate for anything other than when using the iPad.

BTW, I think you mean built-in or offline, not online in your reply, right?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

8 minutes ago, R C-R said:

There are a lot of differences in how the iPad & desktop apps work, so only some of the help topics will be complete or accurate for anything other than when using the iPad.

BTW, I think you mean built-in or offline, not online in your reply, right?

I've been calling it online help since before the internet so I didn't mean online in the same sense. I meant the application's help is available even when you don't have an internet connection. Thanks for the catch.

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

• 1 month later...

I agree that a manual would be very helpful indeed. The problem with online help is often that there is no option to print the pages you need for a particular function. With Affinity V2, there isn't the option to have the help screen open at the same time as the piece you are working on - on an iPad, the screen isn't big enough anyway - even with a 12.9" screen.

2 hours ago, Busman said:

With Affinity V2, there isn't the option to have the help screen open at the same time as the piece you are working on - on an iPad, the screen isn't big enough anyway - even with a 12.9" screen.

You can view the help in a web browser instead of using Help viewer and make it as large as you want. Just bookmark this page, it's far more convenient anyway.

https://affinity.help

4 hours ago, Busman said:

With Affinity V2, there isn't the option to have the help screen open at the same time as the piece you are working on ...

If you mean the desktop versions, there is nothing preventing you from having the help window open at the same time as the project you are working on.

On a Mac, just click on the Help menu & then on the first item below the search field. I assume it is similar on Windows.

Affinity Photo 

14 hours ago, Busman said:

The problem with online help is often that there is no option to print the pages you need for a particular function.

??? Why not? 

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.