You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

PNG Export Fails...

to include a placed (Rasterized) bitmap, both via Export Persona and Export Panel. Anyone have a clue?

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Ventura 13.6

2018 11" iPad Pro w/ A12X cpu/gpu, 256 GB, iPadOS 17

Screenshots of the source (including the Layers panel), and the Export options, and the result?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

I tried.. it worked smoothly..

Could you please share some more details. 

1-> placed image
2-> goto Export persona
3-> In the layer panel.. selected objects you want to export.. 

image.png.395950ae135167eb605cfeea65fa2e95.png

4 -> and hit "Create Slice"
5 -> in the sliced panel .. hit export slices 
image.png.303e43bf3697bc893d803272da1a2319.png

Tha'ts it. 

5 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

Screenshots of the source (including the Layers panel), and the Export options, and the result?

Unfortunately I'm under NDA so I cannot, but I can assure my process was exactly like @mfarooqi describes. Below is a screenshot of the Layer panel and the Export Settings. File has two layers (text and embedded graphic) which I need exported into a PNG – ideally with transparency and PDF. I noticed that the (Pixel) layer doesn't have the same icon with 3 connected dots – wondering if that's the issue? I couldn't find a way to activate that icon. I tried exporting to a PDF and the Pixel layer also doesn't show up. I Noticed that object doesn't show up on the Resources Studio panel, but it's clearly visible and selectable in the main document viewer, so that might be the issue?

I could upload  to the Devs for troubleshooting purposes via a private link if I'm supplied one....

Thanks for your help everyone!

image.png.70bbe05da14129c26bd26e178899b7a0.png

image.png.c3f62a6cd063b624d12a2abf617fb2cc.png

image.thumb.png.ab0706cafc249b451f12d4403bc90b4d.png

5 hours ago, mfarooqi said:

I tried.. it worked smoothly..

Could you please share some more details. 

1-> placed image
2-> goto Export persona
3-> In the layer panel.. selected objects you want to export.. 

image.png.395950ae135167eb605cfeea65fa2e95.png

4 -> and hit "Create Slice"
5 -> in the sliced panel .. hit export slices 
image.png.303e43bf3697bc893d803272da1a2319.png

Tha'ts it. 

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Ventura 13.6

• Staff
3 hours ago, ronnyb said:

Unfortunately I'm under NDA so I cannot, but I can assure my process was exactly like @mfarooqi describes. Below is a screenshot of the Layer panel and the Export Settings. File has two layers (text and embedded graphic) which I need exported into a PNG – ideally with transparency and PDF. I noticed that the (Pixel) layer doesn't have the same icon with 3 connected dots – wondering if that's the issue? I couldn't find a way to activate that icon. I tried exporting to a PDF and the Pixel layer also doesn't show up. I Noticed that object doesn't show up on the Resources Studio panel, but it's clearly visible and selectable in the main document viewer, so that might be the issue?

I could upload  to the Devs for troubleshooting purposes via a private link if I'm supplied one....

Hi RonnyB,

I've created a link for you to upload the files to our internal Dropbox account below:
https://www.dropbox.com/request/2vimbtzRiWLt8kFe05m8

Could you also attach a couple of quick video demonstrating the export you're taking please? By Export Panel, do you mean File > Export? If so I would also like to see what settings you're using on the Export Dialog. Essentially I need to see all the steps you're taking to make reproduce this!

With regards to the three connected dots, that just means a slice has been created from that layer. If you're solely using the Export Persona to export, and you haven't created a slice from that layer, that maybe why you're not seeing it. That said I would still expect it to be visible on the Background slice - unless that was disabled?

If a placed image file is rasterised it becomes a pixel layer, which are never displayed in the Resources Manager so that is why you won't see it in there.

5 hours ago, Sean P said:

Hi RonnyB,

I've created a link for you to upload the files to our internal Dropbox account below:
https://www.dropbox.com/request/2vimbtzRiWLt8kFe05m8

Could you also attach a couple of quick video demonstrating the export you're taking please? By Export Panel, do you mean File > Export? If so I would also like to see what settings you're using on the Export Dialog. Essentially I need to see all the steps you're taking to make reproduce this!

With regards to the three connected dots, that just means a slice has been created from that layer. If you're solely using the Export Persona to export, and you haven't created a slice from that layer, that maybe why you're not seeing it. That said I would still expect it to be visible on the Background slice - unless that was disabled?

If a placed image file is rasterised it becomes a pixel layer, which are never displayed in the Resources Manager so that is why you won't see it in there.

Thanks Sean! I will upload the file and videos shortly. Re. Export Panel: yes I meant the File > Export.

The setting I’m using in Export dialog are the same as the screenshot I included from the Export persona. But I just rechecked File > Export and it's exporting correctly now 🧐

So that’s what those 3 dots mean… why not use the same icon as the Slice icon? That looks like a some kind of linkage or network icon… file it under Suggestions! Anyway, the Image that is not being exported IS visible in the layers panel and has the Export and Visibility icon turned on in the Layers panel in the Export persona. Is there another way to disable a layer for Export in the UI?

Good to know about the pixel layer not listed under Resource Manager. Hmm, the source file had that as an embedded Image originally. I rasterized it into a pixel layer along the way. Would that cause Export persona to fail to include it in the PNG/PDF?

• Staff
21 minutes ago, ronnyb said:

The setting I’m using in Export dialog are the same as the screenshot I included from the Export persona. But I just rechecked File > Export and it's exporting correctly now 🧐

So that’s what those 3 dots mean… why not use the same icon as the Slice icon? That looks like a some kind of linkage or network icon… file it under Suggestions! Anyway, the Image that is not being exported IS visible in the layers panel and has the Export and Visibility icon turned on in the Layers panel in the Export persona. Is there another way to disable a layer for Export in the UI?

Good to know about the pixel layer not listed under Resource Manager. Hmm, the source file had that as an embedded Image originally. I rasterized it into a pixel layer along the way. Would that cause Export persona to fail to include it in the PNG/PDF?

Unfortunately the screenshot doesn't show what the Export Area is which is something I was curious if you had changed, for example, if you had 'Area: Selection Only' then that would likely be a reason why it wasn't appearing.

As for the icon, the idea is that slices are connected to layers they've been created from them, so if you move or resize your layer, the slice will move and resize with them.

Thanks for the explanations Sean! I just uploaded the .afd file + a video of the process and the output files it generates. Let me know if you need to look at anything else.

Sean I think I figured out what's going on. I was looking at the Layers Panel in the Design persona and noticed I didn't have an Artboard, the file I got from the client was an Illustrator .ai file. When I originally created the Slices from the Layers, I selected all the text layers (with translations) and clicked the Create Slice button in the Layers panel in the Export Persona. Then I resized the size of the slice using the Slice tool so it would cover the entire canvas area.

Now, when I switched the document to have an Artboard, it was added as a slice to the Export Persona, and when I apply my export presets, it exports fine.

So I'm guessing it's got somewthing to do with the fact that the slices were based of text layers (somehow ignoring the image layer) but now the slice is based off the Artboard so it includes the embedded Image layer? Just a theory....

• Staff

Thanks for the file.

The slice you're exporting has been created from the Text Layer, and then manually resized to fit the page's size. When a slice created from an object is exported, it will only export the contents that the slice is created from and ignore anything above or below it.

In your case, creating the slice from the Group object would allow the image to export, however that would break the automation it looks like you've tried to create.

Off the top of my head you could make the image into a symbol (to save you updating the image multiple times) and then duplicate it for however many slices you need to create (based on the text layers). If you created a group for each set of images and text layers, you could then just create a slice from each group like the attached example.

Example.afdesign

1 hour ago, Sean P said:

Not a problem, thanks for taking the time out to get the files and video over! :)

One more thing: after I converted the file to house an Artboard, I cannot change some properties (Type, Page Preset, Dimensions, nor Objects will...) from the Document Setup panel, any ideas why?

401973369_ScreenShot2021-11-19at11_34_22AM.png.1a7bf7e09ec5e89661627dbacfe11443.png

• Staff
On 11/19/2021 at 4:38 PM, ronnyb said:

One more thing: after I converted the file to house an Artboard, I cannot change some properties (Type, Page Preset, Dimensions, nor Objects will...) from the Document Setup panel, any ideas why?

401973369_ScreenShot2021-11-19at11_34_22AM.png.1a7bf7e09ec5e89661627dbacfe11443.png

This is expected as these options are not valid with Artboards. All the disabled ones relate to the page size being changed, but as you have a series of artboards that can all be resized within the document view it is no longer valid to change the size inside the Document Setup dialog. The dimensions shown are automatically calculated from the top left artboard (it's top left point) all the way to the bottom right artboard (it's bottom right point) and show the total height and width for all artboards.

9 hours ago, Sean P said:

This is expected as these options are not valid with Artboards. All the disabled ones relate to the page size being changed, but as you have a series of artboards that can all be resized within the document view it is no longer valid to change the size inside the Document Setup dialog. The dimensions shown are automatically calculated from the top left artboard (it's top left point) all the way to the bottom right artboard (it's bottom right point) and show the total height and width for all artboards.

Ah ok, but I only have one artboard per file… but I understand the logic for more than one artboard…. 

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.