You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I'm not sure if this issue has been previously addressed, but I am using the trial version of Affinity Photo to see if I should purchase it during y'all's Black Friday Sale. None of the other personas in Affinity Photo seem to be working. I see no visual changes to my image when entering the Liquify, Develop, or Tone Mapping Personas. Not really sure how this could be the case, but I'm not willing to buy the product during y'all's discounted sale if entire sections of the software are not working properly for me to test them.

Also, if I purchase just Affinity Designer and Affinity Publisher, will the Studio Link feature still work between those respective applications, or do I have to own all three in order for Studio Link to work?

Thank you in advance for any clarity you can bring to the situation. All the best!

Edited by Luminous_Ember
typo

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums.

24 minutes ago, Luminous_Ember said:

I see no visual changes to my image when entering the Liquify, Develop, or Tone Mapping Personas.

Simply entering the Persona would not cause any visual changes to the image. It would change the User Interface (different Tools, differe nt Studio panels), but the image would remain the same until you do something to it.

25 minutes ago, Luminous_Ember said:

Also, if I purchase just Affinity Designer and Affinity Publisher, will the Studio Link feature still work between those respective applications, or do I have to own all three in order for Studio Link to work?

Studio Link is a function of Publisher, which provides the Photo and Designer Personas in Publisher if you also own the Designer and Photo applications.

It is not a part of Designer or Photo, though you can still switch between the Designer and Photo applications by using File > Edit in Photo or File > Edit in Designer.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

I'm aware that I would need to "do something to it". I am transitioning from Adobe CC, so I am very familiar with how this type of software works. Okay....that is really weird. I was just in the Develop Persona minutes ago adjusting sliders (i.e. such as the exposure and brightness) and nothing was changing, I reopened the program now and suddenly everything is working-so bizarre. Nevermind then...

And in regards to the Studio Link, I understand it is a function of Publisher, but to clarify if I only have Affinity Designer and Affinity Publisher will Studio Link still allow you to use Affinity Designer within Publisher if you do not also own Affinity Photo? Or will the entire Studio Link feature be grayed out or disabled in some way if you don't own all three programs? 

Thanks again!

9 minutes ago, Luminous_Ember said:

to clarify if I only have Affinity Designer and Affinity Publisher will Studio Link still allow you to use Affinity Designer within Publisher if you do not also own Affinity Photo? Or will the entire Studio Link feature be grayed out or disabled in some way if you don't own all three programs? 

Thanks for the clarification. StudioLink in Publisher will allow access to the Photo Persona if you own Photo, to the Designer Persona if you own Designer, or to both if you own both.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

You're welcome.

(I would recommend buying all 3, by the way, especially when they're on sale. If nothing else it gives a much more complete working environment in Publisher, in my opinion.)

-- Walt
PC:

1 hour ago, Luminous_Ember said:

And in regards to the Studio Link, I understand it is a function of Publisher, but to clarify if I only have Affinity Designer and Affinity Publisher will Studio Link still allow you to use Affinity Designer within Publisher if you do not also own Affinity Photo?

Note that Studio Link does not give you direct access to all the features of Designer (or of Photo if you also have that app), only a subset of them. For instance, there is no access to AD's (or AP's) Export persona from within APub.

But as Walt said, you can use File > Edit in Photo or File > Edit in Designer for that if needed.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Oh and one other thing I wanted to mention in case the development team doesn't already know about this, is the keyboard shortcut "D" doesn't seem to work. It should be defaulting my fill and stroke to black and white in Affinity Designer, but it doesn't do anything. I went to edit my keyboard shortcuts and the field for "Set Fill to Black and White" under the Miscellaneous drop-down was empty by default. Really should be "D", so I set it to the "D" key and closed the Preferences panel and it still doesn't work. To isolate the issue, I tried to set another keyboard shortcut to "exit" with the "`" (Tilde key) and that worked just fine.

Thanks!

44 minutes ago, Luminous_Ember said:

Oh and one other thing I wanted to mention in case the development team doesn't already know about this, is the keyboard shortcut "D" doesn't seem to work.

It is not set by default but setting it to D works fine for me in the Mac version of AD.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

There should be no difference in the trial & retail versions, so unless other Windows users are seeing the same issue with this, I don't know what the cause might be.

Affinity Photo 

5 minutes ago, Hens said:

Just tested on win10 (build:19043.1348) and D set as shortkey for applying b&w to stroke/fill is working as should.
This doesn't work for the (semi) vector brushes as these are based om the fill color and not the stroke color.

I think the OP is asking about the shortcut to set the two wells in the Color panel to Black & White. That is not the same as applying b&w to stroke or fill.

Affinity Photo 

@R C-R yes, I'm referring to the two wells in the Tools Panel. But I'm not sure why the distinction, because the fill and stroke in the tools panel vs. the context toolbar vs. in the Color panel are all pointing to the same thing. 

I tried closing the program and reopening and then rebinding the shortcut to "D", restarting my computer and it still doesn't work.

Edited by Luminous_Ember
Elaborating

Hello, @Luminous_Ember. You never said just how you are setting the shortcut, so make sure you are setting this correctly, in the right place. (My apologies if this is old news!) To set the color wells to black and white, use the Preferences window (in the "Affinity Photo" menu on a Mac, probably in the "Edit" menu on a Windows machine). Then, (1) use the Keyboard Shortcuts tab; (2) make sure you choose the "Photo" persona from the drop-down menu; (3) use the next drop-down menu to choose "Miscellaneous"; and (4) in the list that follows, type "D" into the box next to "Set Fill to Black and White."

It does not seem that there is an option to set a similar shortcut for use in the Develop persona. However, the Develop persona uses whatever colors are used in the Photo persona. Presumably, you need to set the color wells in the Photo Persona before entering the Develop Persona.

451436798_SetDforBW.jpg.dbc1b86b728cc85292a44ca2af97e8d2.jpg

Later Edit:  Oops.. I only now noticed that you're using Affinity Designer, not Photo. However, the same general instructions hold true. One thing to keep in mind, though. The Shortcuts can be set on a per-Persona basis, so you should set the "Set Fill to Black and White" choice to "D" in both the Designer and the Pixel personas. (number 2 in the image above).

Edited by smadell
35 minutes later...

Affinity Photo 2, Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2 (latest retail versions) - desktop & iPad
Culling - FastRawViewer; Raw Developer - Capture One Pro; Asset Management - Photo Supreme
Mac Studio with M2 Max (2023}; 64 GB RAM; macOS 13 (Ventura); Mac Studio Display - iPad Air 4th Gen; iPadOS 17

1 hour ago, smadell said:

One thing to keep in mind, though. The Shortcuts can be set on a per-Persona basis, so you should set the "Set Fill to Black and White" choice to "D" in both the Designer and the Pixel personas. (number 2 in the image above).

Alternately, just enable the "Apply to all" option (like in your screenshot) & the shortcut should be enabled in all personas that have an option for that function.

Affinity Photo 

@smadell

Thanks for uploading the screenshot, that was helpful. I was trying to make the wells default to black and white in "Affinity Designer", not "Affinity Photo". Just to compare the two, (to isolate the problem) I attempted to set the "D" shortcut in Affinity Photo and it worked just fine. I can't say the same for Affinity Designer, I set it exactly as I did in Affinity Photo and it still doesn't work. I changed both the stroke and fill wells to different colors (not black and white) and tried pressing my assigned "D" key shortcut in both the "Designer Persona" and "Pixel Persona" in Affinity Designer and nothing happened.

Something interesting that I'm noticing, is when I go back into the preferences panel to reaffirm that my "D" shortcut is correct, the text-field is empty. I did this several times, double-checking that I assigned the "D" key, and every time I go back into preferences the text-field has been reset/cleared. So its not saving the shortcut, even though I performed the same action in Affinity Photo and it worked perfectly.

@R-C-R that's good to know, thank you.

@Hens

During the pauses, where my cursor is just resting on the document page, I am pressing the "D" key repeatedly. It seems to be not saving the "D" shortcut when I bind it, because every time I go back the shortcut field is empty. I do not experience this issue when I set the "D" key in Affinity Photo.

Edited by Luminous_Ember
Elaborating

45 minutes ago, Luminous_Ember said:

Something interesting that I'm noticing, is when I go back into the preferences panel to reaffirm that my "D" shortcut is correct, the text-field is empty. I did this several times, double-checking that I assigned the "D" key, and every time I go back into preferences the text-field has been reset/cleared.

Maybe try this:

• First, save your current shortcuts in case the next step does not work
  • Restart AD while holding down the CTRL key. A "Clear User Defaults" window should open.
  • Click the "Deselect All" button & then tick only the "Reset keyboard Shortcuts" option
  • Click the "Clear" button to open AD & see if the D shortcut will work now.

Note that this will clear all your keyboard shortcuts so you will have to reset all of them.

Affinity Photo 

7 minutes ago, Hens said:

@Luminous_Ember you were right all along.

I made my video in designer solo program and it works as shown.
I tried the D key for all in publisher and it doesn't work ,it simply get's erased from shortkeys.
I changed the key in the designer dropdown to D and it doesn't work,again erased from shortkeys settings

So something amiss in the shortkey settings in publisher

Luminous_Ember's video was from Designer. You made yours in Designer.

How does Publisher come into the discussion?

-- Walt
PC:

3 minutes ago, Hens said:

I tried the D key for all in publisher and it doesn't work ,it simply get's erased from shortkeys.

I thought we were discussing using the D shortcut in AD, as per @Luminous_Ember said in this post:

Just to compare the two, (to isolate the problem) I attempted to set the "D" shortcut in Affinity Photo and it worked just fine. I can't say the same for Affinity Designer, I set it exactly as I did in Affinity Photo and it still doesn't work.

Regardless, in APub on my Mac the D shortcut works fine -- it is not erased & works in all three APub personas.

So maybe this is a Windows bug?

Affinity Photo 

1 hour ago, Hens said:

It doesn't, just pointing this out to the developers who might have an interest in this regression as it was reported a few beta's back I think.

Since it works for me in the Mac version of APub, maybe this should be reported in the bugs on Windows section, where it is most likely to be seen by the developers?

Affinity Photo