You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Replacing multiple images in a Publisher document

Good Morning,
Is there a way to bulk replace image files in a Publisher document?

I did the initial layout using linked jpegs. I now want to replace all the images with full rez tiffs.
Adobe InDesign allows all images to be selected and then relink them to another folder.

I've used the Resource Manager to replace single images. This requires you to choose the
image you want to replace the original with. I want to select 75 to 100 images — choose a folder — and let the software
do the rest.

Thanks

1 hour ago, ElectricGutter said:

Adobe InDesign allows all images to be selected and then relink them to another folder.

Publisher in 1.10 allows all missing images to be relinked. However, you're not talking about relinking; you're talking about replacing with files of a different name (something.tiff rather than something.jpg).

Replacing will have to be done one at a time.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Thanks, that's why I used both terms.

Affinity Publisher calls it "Replacing" and Adobe InDesign calls it "Relinking"

InDesign has a function called: Relink to folder

It then offers two options:

- Match same filename and extension

- Match same filename but this extension

It  will then replace all the files whether there's 1 or ... 

Thanks

For Relinking, Publisher has only the first of those options.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

9 hours ago, ElectricGutter said:

I did the initial layout using linked jpegs. I now want to replace all the images with full rez tiffs.

In APhoto (or another program) batch convert all .tiff files to .jpg files

(I have no idea how much this will affect the final quality)

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

13 hours ago, carl123 said:

In APhoto (or another program) batch convert all .tiff files to .jpg files

I thought the OP was asking about replacing the jpg files with tiff versions. Isn't what you are suggesting the opposite of that (converting tiff files to jpg ones)?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

17 minutes ago, R C-R said:

I thought the OP was asking about replacing the jpg files with tiff versions. Isn't what you are suggesting the opposite of that (converting tiff files to jpg ones)?

There's method in my perceived madness

Approach the problem from a different angle

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

1 minute ago, carl123 said:

There's method in my perceived madness

Approach the problem from a different angle

I do not understand how batch converting .tiff files to .jpg files would help with what the OP wants to do, which is replace the jpg files (presumably already in the apub document) with "full rez tiffs."

Can you explain more about how that would help?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Just now, R C-R said:

Tomorrow, if no one else explains what I mean

things to do now

13 minutes ago, R C-R said:

I do not understand how batch converting .tiff files to .jpg files would help with what the OP wants to do, which is replace the jpg files (presumably already in the apub document) with "full rez tiffs."

Depends on how "low-res" the current JPG images are, and how "high-res" the new JPG images are.

-- Walt
PC:

7 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Depends on how "low-res" the current JPG images are, and how "high-res" the new JPG images are.

What "new JPG images" do you mean? The OP wants to replace the old JPGs with higher resolution tiff versions, not with new JPGs.

EDIT: To clarify, I am assuming the OP already has the tiff versions locally, or can download them from somewhere.

Affinity Photo 

50 minutes ago, R C-R said:

What "new JPG images" do you mean?

The ones that Carl proposed the OP create from the TIFFs to make Relink work to update the Publisher document in one operation.

-- Walt
PC:

2 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

The ones that Carl proposed the OP create from the TIFFs to make Relink work to update the Publisher document in one operation.

OK, but wouldn't they still be compressed JPEG files (even at 100% quality) vs. uncompressed TIFF's? I am assuming the OP wants to avoid any quality loss, which is the reason for the request for "full rez tiffs."

Affinity Photo 

45 minutes ago, R C-R said:

I am assuming the OP wants to avoid any quality loss, which is the reason for the request for "full rez tiffs."

True, but if they are working with really low-res JPG files for performance, then full-res JPG files may be good enough. Only the OP can know, of course.

-- Walt
PC:

• 3 months later...

This is a standardized workflow in the printing industry. First you work with the small JPG files in the concept and layout phase, and then in the last step (e.g. Final Art) you replace them with the very high-resolution and resource-hungry TIFF files and transfer them to prepress for maximum quality in production.