You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

bug with a halo around images in Affinity Photo on iPad

EvgenyI

16 minutes ago, EvgenyI said:

@NotMyFault, I’m talking about an application for ipad, I don’t understand why you are testing it on a program for desktop computers, look at the same file in Designer, there is no such error, and yes it’s a BUG!) THE TASK is to merge seamlessly layers that were originally merged seamlessly!  If you open this file in the designer, then this bug is not there and all images are combined seamlessly.  and if you try to repeat this in Photo, then a seam appears!  I did not add these images manually, I take the finished file, where these images were merged seamlessly, you know what I'm talking about?

It seems my answers don’t find your open ear.

• Designer will show the same “non-bug” if you set the view mode to pixel. I already mentioned this in my very first post in this thread.
  • If you export the file from designer as raster format (jpeg, tiff, png), the issue will be visible in the exported file, even if designer does not show it (in vector view mode)

i will now step out of the discussion for good as it became a bit heated, and deviated from the actual issue, its probable cause, and options to avoid the cause. I have done my best to identify the root cause.

I wish all the best for you, maybe others are more capable to explain this in a way which suits you better. Sorry to disappoint you.

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

10 minutes ago, EvgenyI said:

@walt.farrell,  funny, but no)) I did not stretch the layers, I opened a file in which the layers are tightly adjacent to each other, you can see this by opening this file in Affinity Designer, it's so simple!  I don’t understand why I have to explain this simple thing several times)

Maybe walt and all others already perfectly understood what is going on, do not require any more repetition, and only one single person refuses to listen. 

We don’t know who stretched the images, and it actually doesn’t matter, its a simple fact that there are stretched. And that this causes or increases the problem. 

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

1 minute ago, NotMyFault said:

Maybe walt and all others already perfectly understood what is going on, do not require any more repetition, and only one single person refuses to listen. 

it’s not so, you just don’t try to understand and just watch a video example, I’m talking about one thing, and you’re talking about something else

4 minutes ago, EvgenyI said:

I opened a file in which the layers are tightly adjacent to each other, you can see this by opening this file in Affinity Designer, it's so simple!  I don’t understand why I have to explain this simple thing several times)

Yes, but where did that file come from?

It is a multi-layer file with some vector shapes and some Image layers. How did you create the file? How did you Place the image layers there? Where did the image layers come from? From what we can see using the desktop applications, the Image layers are not at their original image sizes, and @NotMyFault has theorized that this is the cause of the problem.

The fact that the file displays differently in Photo and in Designer does not mean that there is a bug, because Photo and Designer use different display technologies. Without more explanation, it is merely a difference.

----

However, thank you for insisting that we look using Designer. I have done that (again, on the desktop) and whether I use the Vector view mode or the Pixel view mode I cannot see the transparent border pixel in Designer, though I can clearly see it in Photo. I do not have an explanation for that, but perhaps @NotMyFault will have some further thoughts on that.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

8 minutes ago, NotMyFault said:

Designer will show the same “non-bug” if you set the view mode to pixel.

Unfortunately, I don't see that, even at much higher zoom levels.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

4 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

However, thank you for insisting that we look using Designer. I have done that (again, on the desktop) and whether I use the Vector view mode or the Pixel view mode I cannot see the transparent border pixel in Designer, though I can clearly see it in Photo. I do not have an explanation for that,

Great!  thanks!  I'm just talking about this translucent frame!  this file is a print screen of the page from the safari browser, the images on the page fit snugly, there is no transparent border, but this border appears in Affinity Photo!  and I don't know why, it just shouldn't be there, and it shouldn't require any actions with layers.

There is actually a point that designer and photo render files differently, but as explained this is only with regard to anti-aliasing, and according to Affinity mods by design.

You can read more about this here:

I exported the file as png both by designer and photo on iPad, and the exports actually differ:

• the partial transparent line is visible only in Photo
  • There is some noise across the complete file

06F09D62-2129-4FB5-A3FF-32C75A6385BB.png

delta amplified.afphoto

Edited by NotMyFault
Added files

17 minutes ago, EvgenyI said:

this file is a print screen of the page from the safari browser, the images on the page fit snugly, there is no transparent border, but this border appears in Affinity Photo!  and I don't know why, it just shouldn't be there, and it shouldn't require any actions with layers.

If the file was from a simple printscreen, it would not have those layers.  It would be 1 layer, or possibly 2.

It could be a file you created from multiple printscreen operations, where you used File > Place to put each printscreen file into a new Designer or Photo document as an Image layer. Or one created by copying from a safari page and Pasting into a document in Designer or Photo, multiple times. But that .afphoto file cannot be a printscreen.,

-- Walt
PC:

38 minutes ago, EvgenyI said:

this is not true!  Please give a video example, why are you inventing?

Please, peace and respect.

Below you can see how setting view mode to pixel changes the rendering.

5 minutes ago, NotMyFault said:

Below you can see how setting view mode to pixel changes the rendering.

Thanks. I'm just not seeing that on the desktop, though I certainly expected to; I'll try on the iPad later. What zoom level were you at for that recording?

-- Walt
PC:

1 minute ago, walt.farrell said:

Thanks. I'm just not seeing that on the desktop, though I certainly expected to; I'll try on the iPad later. What zoom level were you at for that recording?

It’s 1000%, to be able to see individual pixels.

Desktop and iPad differ in some aspects. IPad cannot

• Modify view quality and rendering mode (probably fixed to “best” and Bilinear)
  • Deactivate Metal acceleration 
  • Cannot use anti-aliasing profiles (did not test if able to use if already present).

On Desktop, profiles are totally broken, so nothing to really miss on iPad.

Not to forget: Windows / Mac have some unfixed platform specific bugs which play into the game.

7B53FDA5-5B21-4B20-B9D7-F0320C927FB0.png

• Staff

Thank you very much for the investigation into the way the application is behaving in respect to the imported PDF and the Blend Gamma results being unexpected. We have logged this with the developers. 

On 11/17/2021 at 11:16 PM, walt.farrell said:

If the file was from a simple printscreen, it would not have those layers.  It would be 1 layer, or possibly 2.

It could be a file you created from multiple printscreen operations, where you used File > Place to put each printscreen file into a new Designer or Photo document as an Image layer. Or one created by copying from a safari page and Pasting into a document in Designer or Photo, multiple times. But that .afphoto file cannot be a printscreen.,

this is a screenshot of the FULL PAGE of the Safari browser on the ipad, you can read more about this here: 

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251929383

I attached the PDF file above in this post, but you asked to send the Affinity extension