You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

bug with a halo around images in Affinity Photo on iPad

EvgenyI

If I use these settings then objects which are sized as pixels don’t show that. If I turn those settings off the halos appear. Keep all objects whole pixel sized will likely help as well.

7179FEC9-5402-4A28-AA41-832C5C72BE80.jpeg

My dad always told me, a bad workman always blames their tools….

Just waiting for Ronny Pickering…..

Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on macOS Sonoma 14 on M1 Mac Mini 16GB 1TB
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on Windows 10 Pro. Deceased
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 2.4 on M1 iPad Pro 11” on iPadOS 17.4 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityForiPad

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityPhoto/

The hardest link to find https://affinity.help

These 2 apps Photo and Designer differ in how they are rendering an document to the screen.

1. Designer has to be set-up properly regarding view mode (pixel / retina / vector / outline). If you intend to compare with Photo, set it to Retina.
  2. Check the settings regarding preferences>performance, view quality (Nearest Neighbor or Bilinear)
  3. I assume you image is positioned or sized to fractional pixel values (check in transform panel)

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

50 minutes ago, EvgenyI said:

this halo behaves like a kind of translucent frame

As I understand it this is anti-aliasing which is how Affinity displays fractional pixels, especially needed on a curved line to reduce the visual impact of the pixel level jagged edge on a low resolution image.

If you select your object, make sure your snapping settings force objects to be aligned with pixels and then edit the width and height dimensions and X and Y positions in the transform studio to remove fractional numbers you will find the anti-alias halo will vanish as it is no longer needed. This is easy to do on a test drawing but not so easy to achieve on a more complex image. Increasing the resolution of the canvas will help to reduce the visibility of this.

In Designer you will also see this if in the Navigator studio you  change the split view to pixels.

anti-alias tester.afphoto

My dad always told me, a bad workman always blames their tools….

Just waiting for Ronny Pickering…..

Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on macOS Sonoma 14 on M1 Mac Mini 16GB 1TB
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on Windows 10 Pro. Deceased
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 2.4 on M1 iPad Pro 11” on iPadOS 17.4 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityForiPad

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityPhoto/

The hardest link to find https://affinity.help

The issue is caused by pixels positioned at fractional positions. Your chosen snapping settings contribute.

You seem to have zoomed in far >100% and see individual pixels enlarged to squares.

please activate the transfer panel, and inspect the position and size of the layer. Assuming no stroke is set, you can avoid the issue by using integer position and size. Do not use “move by whole pixels”. It must be off to correct misalignment.

Or you can adjust the anti-aliasing setting (layer blend mode) to “off”. 

What you call a “halo” is simply the effect of anti-aliasing. It is by design,  not a bug.

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

here is the file, see for yourself!) the task is to combine separate parts into one image.  in the designer it turns out to be done, in Photo it does not work!  from outside the frame!  if you cut off some of the pixels then the images cannot be glued seamlessly, no adjustments will help you to merge objects

GODOX PHOTO EQUIPMENT CO.,LTD Dual Cold Shoe Extension VSM-H03VSM-H02.pdf

23 minutes ago, EvgenyI said:

try opening this file in Photo and Designer

You don't seem to have included the file?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

33 minutes ago, EvgenyI said:

@walt.farrell, I attached above, but also attached in that post

You attached a PDF.

To diagnose your problem, we need a native-format Affinity file.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

1 hour ago, EvgenyI said:

Even if you are not willing to agree to the facts:

The issue is caused by misaligned pixels.

This is not intended to offend you, but the facts are incompatible with your interpretation (its a bug, i don't understand you)

It is kind of hidden by the use of image layers, and the missing "inspect" function on Affinity iPad.

Your "image" layer has been stretched to 177%, and actually contains a 1px transparent edge on the right.

Once you reset the scaling to 100%, and the halo is gone.

Only Photo on Desktop provides the UI to inspect image layers.

Adjusting the gamma - or simpler by setting anti-aliasing to "off" - makes this invisible (the issue it is still there).

before reset:

image.png.d283de7e82c6848cca95dd6146c09143.png

after reset to 100%:

image.png.50607fb30a31d826d417a40eb922a44b.png

Is you are using "image" layers, the fractional size is not directly visible, as the size / position of the layer might be perfectly integer, but the DPI mismatch by 177% stretching will actually lead to every "visible" pixel is resampled of 4 "source" pixels from the image.

transparent pixel at right side of image layer:

image.png.758d805491171c3bdcf2684efc85ba66.png

To summarize:

• Issue caused by (difficult to detect) pixel misalignment ( fractional size and position)
  • source image contains 1px transparent edge at the right. If your crop this of in the source image, issue might be solved.
  • issue can be mitigated by deactivating anti-aliasing, or using "Nearest Neighbor" view mode, or maybe adjusting gamma (this has strong side effects)
  • Again, it is no bug

@NotMyFault, I’m talking about an application for ipad, I don’t understand why you are testing it on a program for desktop computers, look at the same file in Designer, there is no such error, and yes it’s a BUG!) THE TASK is to merge seamlessly layers that were originally merged seamlessly!  If you open this file in the designer, then this bug is not there and all images are combined seamlessly.  and if you try to repeat this in Photo, then a seam appears!  I did not add these images manually, I take the finished file, where these images were merged seamlessly, you know what I'm talking about?

46 minutes ago, NotMyFault said:

Your "image" layer has been stretched to 177%, and actually contains a 1px transparent edge on the right.

I don't understand what you are talking about, where does 177% have to do with it?  where and what is stretched?  Please look carefully at the video files that I skipped, and please compare with the process in the Designer application.  in the file, initially the layers are tightly adjacent to each other, this can be seen in Designer, but if you open this file in Photo, then each image layer has a kind of translucent frame of 1 pixel!  I don't know why it just appears when opening a file.

8 minutes ago, EvgenyI said:

I don’t understand why you are testing it on a program for desktop computers,

Because the desktop versions of the applications have more capabilities, and allow you to see some details about the structure of your file that are not visible when you use the iPad versions of the applications.

-- Walt
PC:

Just now, walt.farrell said:

Because the desktop versions of the applications have more capabilities, and allow you to see some details about the structure of your file that are not visible when you use the iPad versions of the applications.

unfortunately this does not solve the problem and does not fix the bug.

Just now, EvgenyI said:

where and what is stretched?

Your image layers have been stretched, presumably by you, when you Placed them into the document. You can see that from @NotMyFault's screenshots (and that's why he (and I) used the desktop applications to look at your file).

-- Walt
PC: