You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I've been working on this and it's almost finished but, it just doesn't look right. Iit just doesn't look right under the bus. I tried adding the tailpipe and license plate, it looks like something needs to be under there.  On the right is the picture as I took it, you cant see anything under there. Probably not the final background, I just needed to put something there because you can see through the windows. Any suggestions?

webcomparisonold-bus-rear.jpg

A shadow can help ground the bus

Darken the interior.

Where are the seats?

Add a few highlights to the edges of the bus.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

I would add some wheels, even though the original pic does not show any

bus.png

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

1 hour ago, firstdefence said:

Where are the seats?

Good question! There should be a whole row of seats at the back.

22 minutes ago, carl123 said:

That helps quite a lot. Perhaps they could be placed a little higher up, so as not to look as though they’re at the very back of the vehicle body.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

When drawing something it also helps to have other shots/angles of the object, just to get a sense of it really.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

8 hours ago, carl123 said:

bus.png

That's exactly what I'd have done in order to make this illustration "work".

»A designer's job is to improve the general quality of life. In fact, it's the only reason for our existence.«
Paul Rand (1914-1996)

I'm not an illustrator but form a photography perspective I would see these points:

Most important is a shadow underneath. Large and soft like in the original image. If it's too hard, it takes too much attention.

The contrast of the individual elements is very different. The white roof is too bright and takes the most attention. I'd darken it and keep the line beteween the roof and the blue body brighter. Lighten the ladder as in the original.

Those three elements on the Bumper need more highlight accents to make them less flat. Same for the blue vertical bars in the windows and the lights top left and right (they look flat but they have a gradient in the original image).

Also the housing of the three-dot-light in the middle needs a shadow.

The text and the dog on the panels are too bright and stand out a lot.

The entire subject is lit from the left side, so it is slightly brighter left than right. You already added a highlight to the top left. It would be better visible if the roof was darker. (But the red rear-lights seem to have the highlight on the top-right instead of top-left.)

You could also add the reflection on the blue hood above the window.

Whether I'd add wheels or not would depend on the height of the horizon. A lower horizon indicates looking rather down. In this case I wouldn't see the wheels. A higher horizon indicates a lower perspective looking straight or rather up – making the wheels visible. 

7 hours ago, user_0815 said:

Whether I'd add wheels or not would depend on the height of the horizon. A lower horizon indicates looking rather down. In this case I wouldn't see the wheels. A higher horizon indicates a lower perspective looking straight or rather up – making the wheels visible. 

You also have to take into account the angle of view and viewer's distance from the bus. If you have an extreme wide view and are very close to the bus you can look up or down and not see the wheels. If you are very far away from the bus but have a narrow field of view the wheels may be visible a lot more easily.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

7 hours ago, somewhereinusa said:

Made some changes, learned a lot about adding highlights and shadows.

The shadow looks good but it doesn’t extend down far enough, so it looks as though the exhaust pipe and the license plate are touching the ground. As mentioned earlier, adding wheels would help.

Put in some seats and you should be good to go!

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

11 hours ago, Alfred said:

Put in some seats and you should be good to go!

Or ride standing up? 😄

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7