You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I have created multiple layers in one Affinity Designer document. I want all layers to be exported into one PDF such that when I open the PDF in Adobe Acrobat Pro, I can see each layer in the layers tab. My UV printer recognizes each layer of a PDF to differentiate gloss, white, and CMYK inks (3 separate layers, but all in the same document). 

I can export the document using file/export in Designer, but it saves everything into one layer when viewed in Acrobat Pro. I can create 3 separate PDFs using the export panel, but then I need to merge them in Acrobat Pro or Illustrator. Am I missing something? 

Thank you.

• 1 month later...

Yes, this is part of v 1.4. There's no specific UI for it; layers are always exported with their names. For example:

• New document
  • Create a layer
  • Add a shape
  • Create a second layer
  • Add a shape
  • Export as PDF with any of the presets
  • Open in Acrobat Pro
  • Show the layers pane

Layer 1 and Layer 2 are listed, and can be shown and hidden. I hope this is what you were expecting.

This is exactly what I was expecting but I can't replicate. After export there are no layers in Acrobat Pro, yet I can see the layers when exporting from Illustrator. I tried exporting using file/export. I tried creating slices for each layer, then exporting. I tried exporting with no slices. I get the same thing every time; a flat PDF without layers. I'll keep searching as I must be missing a button somewhere. Thanks for your fast reply. 

Okay, I think I solved it. Strange solution but it worked. I had to create a new document with exact same document preferences (size,etc.). Then I recreated each layer by cutting and pasting between documents. Everything was exactly the same. Then I exported to PDF and the layers suddenly appear in Acrobat Pro. All I can figure is that the original Affinity file was created using the older version of Affinity. It didn't matter whether or not I saved it as a new name, it simply would not yield layers. But when I created a fresh file and copied the layers one by one, it worked. Strange. Hopefully it will continue to work moving forward. Thanks for your help.

You'll see 5 layers. The word "Annie" has a different color on each layer. I also noticed in the new version that exported layers, the names of the layers did not all persist. Some of them were duplicated and others just said "content". 

I included the exported PDF that is not showing layers. 

affinity_layer_test.afdesign

affinity_layer_test.pdf

• 6 months later...

I'm having the same issue with all of my documents as well.  All my files were created with basically version 1.0 of Affinity Designer and I do not get any layers when I export.  The print shop told me they don't like my files and now I know why.  If I recreate a new file under v1.4.2 of AD and simply copy and past my layers over from an old version, the layers don't export.  However, if I create a new layer in v1.4.2 and then I copy and past the contents of the layer over, the export works just fine.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi we are using update 14.2
we have same problem exporting layers on pdf, the file was created in this version, I tried to recreate a new file as written before but no way, by exporting all is merged into one layer.... this is making trouble on printing and having to go back to illustrator to rebuild layer isn't an option...
can you tell me what to do?
thanks
Alevax

Alevax, can you try using the current beta for exporting to PDF? You can download the beta from the beta section of this forum. It's free for customers. (Best not to save documents from the beta, though, as they won't load into the Mac App Store app.) The Mac App Store will be updated with the beta in due course.

For Designer the link is in the first post of the first thread here: https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/forum/15-affinity-designer-on-mac-beta/.

For Photo the link is in the first post of the first thread here: https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/forum/19-affinity-photo-on-mac-beta/.

I'd rather not link directly to the file in case someone following the link misses the caveats in the forum posts.

• 1 year later...
On 14.1.2016 at 11:18 AM, Dave Harris said:

Yes, this is part of v 1.4. There's no specific UI for it; layers are always exported with their names. For example:

• New document
  • Create a layer
  • Add a shape
  • Create a second layer
  • Add a shape
  • Export as PDF with any of the presets
  • Open in Acrobat Pro
  • Show the layers pane

Layer 1 and Layer 2 are listed, and can be shown and hidden. I hope this is what you were expecting.

Hello I`m now using version 1.6.0 and I just exported a pdf x3 with different layers - expecting that the layers are then shown in acrobate pro but they still aren`t ... what`s the problem with that issue?

2 hours ago, DaDe said:

Hello I`m now using version 1.6.0 and I just exported a pdf x3 with different layers - expecting that the layers are then shown in acrobate pro but they still aren`t ... what`s the problem with that issue?

See your other post...

On 16.12.2017 at 0:55 AM, MikeW said:

See your other post...

... which other post? I tried everything I could find about this topic but the problemn seems not to be solved in the meantime - also see Kens`post below - he`s git the same problem with the new version ... 

1 hour ago, DaDe said:

... which other post?

One quick way to see your posts is to hover the pointer over your avatar next to one of your posts. After a moment a window will pop up with some info about your usage statistics & such. One of the items at the bottom is "Find Content." Click on that & a new page will open with them listed in it.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone!

I would have a question about pdf exporting. I have multiple artboards in my design and I want to export them in one pdf as separate pages BUT I would like to have a page which contains all the artboards together too. How should I do this? Is it possible at all without creating a new artboard with all the other artboards's contents which would be included when I export the "page" slice?

Thx. 

Z.

• 4 months later...

Hello guys, I am reading through this because I am still having troubles exporting a document with different layers. When opening the same document in adobe ai it just shows everything ungrouped in one layer - even though the original version hast multiple layers and many named groups.

Is there something I am doing wrong?

Thanks for your help!!

Syl