You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Overlapping translucency causes PDF export to render text in proximity incorrectly

mqudsi

An "AD-native" drop shadow added via as an AD fx to a layer, when offset sufficiently so as to appear above or behind any (non-curves) vector text, causes the resulting PDF export to export "anemic" strokes for the text (and I don't know how to word it except like this).

This was actually pretty hard to track down since the drop shadow is exported correctly but seemingly random text in the document with identical properties (font family, font face, kerning, etc) would end up looking wrong in the resulting PDF export, while other similar text in the document would be fine.

Here's what the text looks like in AD (note the drop shadow behind the circle and how it extends to make contact with the adjacent text):

image.png.a6060a89f4c1fc4ec4357e99162b0bf3.png.dd4adddafe65d5ace354cc0b7defd077.png

vs here's what the resulting text from the exported PDF looks like when viewed in any PDF viewer:

image.png.bf0ce0f829b58f86ac5b95263cc9ab9b.png

As you can see, the kerning and the weight of the strokes is very much off. 

If you export to a raster format like tiff, the text is exported correctly. There are two sets of identically formatted text in this document, one overlaps the dropshadow and the other doesn't. Here's the difference between the generated PDF and the generated TIFF where the drop shadow is found (red denotes found in the tiff but not in the pdf, you can see how it's the stroke width that's affected, giving the "amemic" result):

image.png.d23a4ae0427a72474c985ed609fd0880.png

And here's the tiff vs pdf comparison of the other text from the opposite side of the document where the drop shadow falls to the other side, meaning it doesn't overlap the text:

image.png.ce6f0d85555b93e081b258e4f38e94b8.png

As you can see, the heading text is a fairly close match with only a slight deviation in the stroke width between the two. Something else in the document is overlapping with the subheading causing more anemic text to be generated here - my guess is that it's the same underlying issue, just not caused by the drop shadow (hence the more generic "overlapping translucency" in the title).

For what it's worth, Adobe Illustrator 2022 can export the text correctly (not just when converted to curves) with the overlaps.

The affected document is attached.

Fundraising Dinner 2021 - 9x4 with Keynote.afdesign

image.png

• Staff

Hi Mqudsi,

Welcome to the forums :)

I'm not sure if I have miss understood your issue but I can't see any drop shadows attached to any text objects in the file you have provided. Instead they are attached to the images around the text. When I export the file the Images are rasterised due to the layer effect but the text looks fine (see attached)

Thanks
c

text example.PNG

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.