You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Linked images are very slow to update

HenrikM

Linked pictures in Affinity Photo are extremely slow to update.

In the screenshot, the hand is part of a linked image. When I zoomed in, I saw only a low resolution version of the linked image. Image layers that were embedded updated normally. It took several minutes for the embedded image to update.

I have noticed the same phenomenon with Affinity Publisher, so the bug is not unique to Affinity Photo.

image.thumb.png.d8f52fcdf7e2a6f0d3da46a8a52ee27b.png

• Staff

Hi @HenrikM,

Sorry to hear you're having trouble! This certainly isn't expected behaviour.

Can you please:

Open Edit > Preferences > Performance and provide a screenshot of your settings here?

Confirm where your linked resources are currently stored? ie are these on a local disk (and is this SSD, HDD, etc?) or perhaps a Cloud location?

Many thanks in advance :)

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

BTW, the reason I have hardware acceleration turned off, is that it used to cause crashes.

I tried turning it on, and restarted AF, but it did not help.

This is what a linked layer looks like, as I write this. Right now, I've been waiting about 5 minutes for the linked picture to update.

image.thumb.png.671b76ab1e9975a2915fb04c48e3f15c.png

• Staff

Many thanks for the screenshot and further information provided!

I'd recommend changing View Quality to Nearest Neighbour  and Retina Rendering to Low Quality (Fastest).

I also recommend ensuring you have the latest drivers for your GPU, as this can cause rendering issues within Affinity. You can find the latest drivers for your card here - 

https://www.nvidia.co.uk/Download/driverResults.aspx/183486/

Once installed, please restart your PC and then re-launch the Affinity app. Does this change the behaviour for you please? :)

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

• 1 month later...