You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

LNER Mallard locomotive

VectorVonDoom

My favourite as a kid with its art deco looks and having the speed record of 126mph. Back then I didn't realise it was one of a quite a few class A4's. Designed by Nigel Gresley and built in 1938 by London & North Eastern Railway in Doncaster.

I'll likely shrink it down a bit so there's more sky above the funnel but have left it like that for now so it's easier to work on and see the details.

The outline's without the background otherwise it looks even more of a mess.

Mallard.jpg

Outline.JPG

Marc

ArtByMarc.me

44 minutes ago, VectorVonDoom said:

My go to canvas size is A1, so 9333x7015px.

Was that a typo for 9933 (i.e. 841 × 300 ÷ 25.4)? :/

594 × 300 ÷ 25.4 = 7015.7 should arguably be rounded up to 7016, rather than rounded down to 7015, but we’ll let you off! :P

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

10 minutes ago, Alfred said:

Was that a typo for 9933 (i.e. 841 × 300 ÷ 25.4)? :/

594 × 300 ÷ 25.4 = 7015.7 should arguably be rounded up to 7016, rather than rounded down to 7015, but we’ll let you off! :P

Even easier way that saves brain power, create new doc and set measurement to pixels and it tells you.

Marc

ArtByMarc.me

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks. The shadows look the same as in the reference, I don't go to the effort to do it wrong (well not usually!). The reference was actually from the other side which has a bit more piping so had to guess some of the reflections as I wanted it to face right.

I did blur the background some but it's easy to add a bit more.

Mallard.jpg

Marc

ArtByMarc.me

• 1 year later...
On 11/14/2021 at 12:46 PM, VectorVonDoom said:

My favourite as a kid with its art deco looks and having the speed record of 126mph. Back then I didn't realise it was one of a quite a few class A4's. Designed by Nigel Gresley and built in 1938 by London & North Eastern Railway in Doncaster.

I'll likely shrink it down a bit so there's more sky above the funnel but have left it like that for now so it's easier to work on and see the details.

The outline's without the background otherwise it looks even more of a mess.

Mallard.jpg

Outline.JPG

My favourite locomotive from the steam age. Streamlined and powerful. Very well done sir.

These details on the locomotive are amazing, I would work on the rails / the background though as it doesn't fully match the angle of the train 🤔

The second set of wheels is also missing, might be good to add those :)

But that's if you're going for realism across the whole photo :)

On 5/24/2023 at 11:41 AM, Ezbaze said:

These details on the locomotive are amazing, I would work on the rails / the background though as it doesn't fully match the angle of the train 🤔

The second set of wheels is also missing, might be good to add those :)

But that's if you're going for realism across the whole photo :)

it’s not missing any wheels. It’s an old one that I don’t like enough, it’s just OK, to make any changes to it, sorry!

Marc

ArtByMarc.me