You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Can I remap pixels of GB chanels to distorted var v=vec2(rx+R*1, ry+R*100) position in proceduaral filter somehow?

Unfortunately not.

PT filters are limited to calculate a new RGBA value (or whatever color format you are using) based on build-in functions, mainly:

• RGBA value of underlying layers, but always same x/y position.
  • x and y position of pixel 
  • all build-in functions 

If you want to access the value of a pixel at a different x/y position, you need to use e.g. perspective live filter to move it, and blend mode to combine with input from PT filter.

Apply Image is the only (destructive) filter which can blend 2 layers directly.

Equations is the only (destructive) filter which can resample, meaning map pixel positions.

Blur filters have limited options to average or across neighboring pixels.

Perspective Live filter can move layers, but only by a fixed distance chosen by distortion grid.

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

24 minutes ago, kirk23 said:

Basically using  Red channel as  displace value to GB channels?    It does't just fine  with noise generators but could  it do  with an image  channel ?     Also can it sample  a layer beneath like some other live filters?

You could try to use live displacement filter, in combination with PT filter.

The PT filter might be able to create the displacement map used in displacement filter, based e.g. on the red channel. 

But the displacement filter works kind of strange. The direction of movement seems to be calculated from contrast of neighboring pixels, using B/W only, and the strength is given by the slider.

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

8 minutes ago, NotMyFault said:

But the displacement filter works kind of strange.

Yeah, it's a reason  I am trying to invent something from PT one.    The displace in current version is totally useless for me .   Looks like it works  with kind of sin  function or something inverting vectors/ displace direction against a center of an image,

Equations  my guess can move  pixels but can't sample other channel or other layer to get  values , right?

i recommend you to buy FilterForge and spend time on Lua scripting. It is not so fast, but covers literally every need for combining images with custom logic, with antialiasing and stuff. It is working as plugin (with some custom efforts - can be googled)

Affinity photo is cruelly useless for that kind of tasks // "displace adjustment" is really a total garbage, "Perspective Live filter" is a pain to use for simple ofsset and so on

8 minutes ago, kirk23 said:

Equations  my guess can move  pixels but can't sample other channel or other layer to get  values , right?

Exactly.

Functionality is so crippled and fragmented into different filters (mostly destructive) that it’s effectively useless.

10 minutes ago, IPv6 said:

recommend you to buy FilterForge

I have version 7 or something.   It's very slow  and main drawback IMO it can't read other layers input  or work "live"  .  I recall  I have it working live in some old Xara version on vector shapes  re-rasterizing  content every time I tried to edit the shape.   Also super slow.

Does it still work in same manner?

Affinity live filters  work so quick . it's pity we can't make our own

it's pity we can't make our own
True :)

I have version 9, it is ok. Preview on dowscaled image is fast, full processing takes 20-30 seconds for 5000*2000 image on average PC, for some quite heavy lua-based processing. Work on Mac and Win really well, you can setup controls for your own comfort and overall it is usefull. Yes, you can have access to only one layer - but you can load arbitrary images as inputs for filter (for me this is enough). There is also ability to use real curves as inputs - which is super-useful, since you can shape parameters as needed without additional hassle and tons of extra parameters. I don`t know another product with such extended per-pixel scripting support, if you know - would be curious to know too.

It is a shame that full-fledged per-pixel scripting is not a common functionaly in every pixel-based DCC. There is similar stuff in nuke/natron but they are not so user-friendly and reusable, after all