markuswaeger

Edit layer masks with curves or levels?

As far as I can see there is no way to edit masks and channels with levels or curves. Could this be? This is a big problem on editing masks and should be fixed very fast. It would be a reason not taking the step from Photoshop to Affinity Photo. AP needs to have an option to edit adjustments not only with layers—image editing also needs a destructive option for channels and masks.

Markus Wäger | German Autor | Graphic Design, Photoshop and Photography Expert | preparing a german book about Affinity Photo

http://www.markuswaeger.com

Thank you. That was on a completely different corner than I have searched for a solution.

This maybe gives interesting opportunities and leads me to another question: Affinity Photo allows to nest more than one mask in one layer. It also allows to nest more than one adjustment layer in one pixel layer. If I like to use two or more masks nested in one layer and need to edit them with different curves—how do masks and curves interact? Which curve changes which layer? I habe tried to put a adjustment layer inside masks but that does not seem to work?

Markus Wäger | German Autor | Graphic Design, Photoshop and Photography Expert | preparing a german book about Affinity Photo

you only need to add the adjustment layer as a child of the mask  or you release one mask and place it on top.

Thanks. Your Layer Panel shows masks and curves like I supposed they should be arranged but I did not get it to work on my computer neither in the official version nor in the newest beta. The adjustment level does not shown as nested when I drag it on a mask. How do you do it?

you are right,  i have added the curve layer to a mask on top of the image and than later combined the mask layer ( including the curve layer )  with the image layer.

YES it works  - you only need to select alpha instead of master than it works

I don't get it - why can't it be a super quick process as in photoshop - the only way I've been able to darken grey areas of a layer mask is to save a greyscale version of the mask as a separate document do the edit with levels or curves and paste back into the original doc and select as mask - it's a pain in the arse - hopefully this will be sorted in the future - as the quickest way around it at the moment is to save a psd and open in photoshop (cs5) darken and lighten greys with a quick levels adjustment save and and reopen in affinity - if there is a solution could you possibly do an idiots guide? 

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009)
2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon
48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram
NVIDIA GeForce GT 630 - 2 GB
Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor
Mac OS 10.11.6 El Capitan

Affinity Designer, Photo and Publisher 1.7.1 + Betas when available

Binger.jpg.1f81574106cc2dea8ae65d0a572b9ef9.jpg
www.bingercreative.co.uk

AAAAAAH now I see, select Alpha in the layer adjustment panel ---- great

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009)
2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon