You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Edit layer masks with curves or levels?

As far as I can see there is no way to edit masks and channels with levels or curves. Could this be? This is a big problem on editing masks and should be fixed very fast. It would be a reason not taking the step from Photoshop to Affinity Photo. AP needs to have an option to edit adjustments not only with layers—image editing also needs a destructive option for channels and masks.

Markus Wäger | German Autor | Graphic Design, Photoshop and Photography Expert | preparing a german book about Affinity Photo

http://www.markuswaeger.com

Thank you. That was on a completely different corner than I have searched for a solution.

This maybe gives interesting opportunities and leads me to another question: Affinity Photo allows to nest more than one mask in one layer. It also allows to nest more than one adjustment layer in one pixel layer. If I like to use two or more masks nested in one layer and need to edit them with different curves—how do masks and curves interact? Which curve changes which layer? I habe tried to put a adjustment layer inside masks but that does not seem to work?

Markus Wäger | German Autor | Graphic Design, Photoshop and Photography Expert | preparing a german book about Affinity Photo

you only need to add the adjustment layer as a child of the mask  or you release one mask and place it on top.

Thanks. Your Layer Panel shows masks and curves like I supposed they should be arranged but I did not get it to work on my computer neither in the official version nor in the newest beta. The adjustment level does not shown as nested when I drag it on a mask. How do you do it?

• 1 year later...

YES it works  - you only need to select alpha instead of master than it works

I don't get it - why can't it be a super quick process as in photoshop - the only way I've been able to darken grey areas of a layer mask is to save a greyscale version of the mask as a separate document do the edit with levels or curves and paste back into the original doc and select as mask - it's a pain in the arse - hopefully this will be sorted in the future - as the quickest way around it at the moment is to save a psd and open in photoshop (cs5) darken and lighten greys with a quick levels adjustment save and and reopen in affinity - if there is a solution could you possibly do an idiots guide? 

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.2.1 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.1, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

Affinity Publisher, Designer and Photo 1.10.5 - 2.2.1

www.bingercreative.co.uk

AAAAAAH now I see, select Alpha in the layer adjustment panel ---- great

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.2.1 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.1, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

Affinity Publisher, Designer and Photo 1.10.5 - 2.2.1

www.bingercreative.co.uk

• 4 years later...

Would've never found how to make it without your help, thank you!

Another trick if you want to actually see the mask you're editing is to switch Composite Alpha view in Channels. Sounds pretty intuitive but it's not actually, especially after decades of Photoshop.