You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Can’t change brush size/hardness with shortcuts+drag

åvision

Hello! I can’t change the size/hardness of a Brush using shortcuts (ctrl+opt) + drag the pencil, other tools our working just fine. This is very annoying, hard to work with changing brush size only on the panel on the bottom of the screen  

Please make a brackets shortcuts for changing brush size on iPad too ( [ ] )

And with a brush tool after I’m trying to change brush size with the ctrl+opt+drag I often see the spot just like I painted with it. If I switch to other tool it disappears  

Using Ipad Pro 12.9 3rd gen (MTFR2LL/A) iPadOS 15.0.2 

Affinity Photo for Ipad 1.10.3

• Staff

Hey åvision,

The shortcut is working fine for me - ctrl+opt and then I touch the screen with the pencil and drag to increase the hardness or size. 

I'm just updating to iPadOS 15 to see if that's the difference. UPDATE - I've just updated and it is still fine - I'm not sure what we are doing differently. 

I've reproduced the issue with the spot so I'll log that with the developers.

I believe the bracketed shortcuts to resize is already logged in the datebase but I'll double check :) 

1 hour ago, Chris B said:

ctrl+cmd and then I touch the screen with the pencil and drag to increase the hardness or size. 

I notice that åvision mentioned using ctrl+opt, so perhaps they simply used the wrong shortcut keys?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

8 minutes ago, Chris B said:

Sorry I did actually mean ctrl+opt and not ctrl+cmd - my mistake! Thanks for noticing, Walt. I'll edit the post. 

In that case, I'll mention that I, like the OP, was unable to change the brush width on iPadOS 14.8 using Ctrl+Opt+drag and the Apple Pencil when I tried after reading that post the other day.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

• Staff

I'm not sure what to suggest as I can get it working on an iPad with a gen1 Pencil and another iPad with a gen2 Pencil... 

@MEB and @walt.farrell do you see the same behaviour as seen in the screen recording that @åvision attached or do you see something different?

• Staff
3 hours ago, Chris B said:

I'm not sure what to suggest as I can get it working on an iPad with a gen1 Pencil and another iPad with a gen2 Pencil... 

@MEB and @walt.farrell do you see the same behaviour as seen in the screen recording that @åvision attached or do you see something different?

Yes, same exact behaviour. Check the clip below. I will poke around to see if i can make it work - maybe it's some setting or something.

5 hours ago, Chris B said:

Thanks - we have reproduced this by selecting a brush before attempting the shortcut. I will get this logged.

My symptoms are different. I don't get the overlapping circles at all that were shown in the other two videos in this thread. I just get the width/hardness pop up, and a dot on the screen.

-- Walt
PC:

10 minutes ago, Chris B said:

I can't see from the video if the app was restarted prior to the video.

The app was not restarted. (And I'm not sure how one does that on an iPad.)

-- Walt
PC:

4 hours ago, Chris B said:

Just swipe up and close it off from the app switcher screen - I didn't mean anything fancy. Until the app is restarted, this shortcut issue will always be present from what I can see.

Thanks. I've restarted Photo, and started a new document. The problem remains, and I cannot adjust brush width or hardness using Ctrl+Opt+drag. I get the popup but the brush does not adjust.

-- Walt
PC:

• 9 months later...

Hello, everyone. Returned to my ipad for editing. Got the 10.5 version. But still, everything works the same — the dot when you use the brush remains, still can't change the brush size (the other tools are woking fine). All the symptoms are the same… Any updates on this bugs?