You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer Customer Beta (1.3.5.12 - RC2)

• Staff

Purpose: Features / Improvements / Fixes 

Requirements: Purchased Affinity Designer
Mac App Store: Not Submitted
Download: Here

To use this beta, simply download the file from the link given above and double-click on the file to open the installer. Follow the instructions to install the beta version. The beta sits alongside the Mac App Store version and will not interfere with it. Please note that if you use features which are only present in the Beta version then save your document, it will no longer open in the Mac App Store version.

This is a Release Candidate build. It is our intention to submit this for review to Apple in the first week of December. Any help you could offer to stabilise and refine the product at this stage will be very gratefully received  :)  We won't be implementing any new features now for this version and we will be focusing on stabilising the product for the immediate future. We will obviously start adding more features again as soon as this update goes live.

Features / Improvements / Fixes

- PSD import improvements

- Snapping and ruler drawing tweaks
- Fix for dark background accidentally displayed around artboards on some machines
- Fix for canvas rotation showing artefacts on non-retina machines and occasional flicker
- Fix for certain Type 1 fonts failing to work if they don’t contain cmap data
- Fix for path text crashing when the nodes of a path are deleted
- Fix for sharing to Photos/Aperture occasionally producing a low resolution image
- Artboard labels can now contain emojis and special characters, just like layer names
- Allow dropping images onto the pasteboard of an artboard document
- Restore with the correct panels visible on application startup
- Improved PDF export - particularly with spot colours and gradients
- Artboards cloned from other artboards should now inherit their grids and also export options
- Disable gradient tool options when there is no selection as they don’t achieve anything

Hallo, leider hat das Imagefile einen Error und die Beta kann leider nicht installiert werden. Siehe beiliegendes Foto. Können Sie bitte die Datei prüfen und austauschen? Herzlichen Dank!

----

translate with Google Translator:

Hello, unfortunately the image file has unfortunately an error and the beta can not be installed. See attached photo. Can you please check and replace the file? Thank you very much!

Ohne Titel.tiff

• Staff

Hi,

I cannot reproduce this issue here - I have just downloaded RC2 at home and it works ok for me. However, we have had similar reports to this before, and often redownloading the binary will fix the problem. If that does not work, please reply and we will try another way.

Thanks,

Andy.

Translate:

Hallo,

Ich kann dieses Problem nicht reproduzieren hier - ich habe nur zu Hause heruntergeladen RC2 und es funktioniert ok für mich. Wir haben jedoch ähnliche Berichte , dies vorher hatte , und oft redownloading den binären wird das Problem beheben. Wenn das nicht funktioniert , antworten Sie bitte und wir werden einen anderen Weg zu versuchen.

Vielen Dank,

Andy .

Hallo,

habe schon dreimal versucht, die Datei neu zu laden, leider kein Erfolg.

Aber schon mal gut, dass es anscheinend kein allgemeines Problem ist.

Vielen Dank für Ihre Hilfe!

Newstone

----

Translate with Google Translator:

Hello there,
have already three times tried to reload the file, no success.
But ever good that there is apparently no general problem.
Many thanks for your help!
Newstone

DMG works for me, too. However, the “place image” shortcut bug doesn’t seem to have been fixed. There is (strangely) no default shortcut now, and when I set “I” (that’s a capital letter ‘i’) and used this to place an image, the app crashes immediately.

Great job again guys. I'm not not sure if this is a bug but it seems like it. When I rotate the canvas on my non-retina MBP, AD seems to only use nearest neighbor interpolation, as the render looks jagged/aliased. As soon as I zoom a tiny bit, the screen renders properly, the diagonals look smooth, as if rendered via Bilinear. This happens regardless of the beginning zoom level, and fixes itself as soon as I zoom by any amount, either in or out.

Hope this helps...

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Ventura 13.6

2018 11" iPad Pro w/ A12X cpu/gpu, 256 GB, iPadOS 17

• Staff

DMG works for me, too. However, the “place image” shortcut bug doesn’t seem to have been fixed. There is (strangely) no default shortcut now, and when I set “I” (that’s a capital letter ‘i’) and used this to place an image, the app crashes immediately.

Can you tell us anything about your setup? Is it just the letter I? Are you in separated mode? Multiple documents opened? System language and keyboard language?

The problem we are having with this bug is that even though we know a few of our users have experience it including MEB, we are not able to reproduce it here in the Dev labs and so it become almost impossible to fix.

I still experience snapping problems on art boards with different grids …  :(

When I create two art boards with different grids, objects will only snap to the original grid, and not to the second one (which makes the second one obviously useless for snapping purposes) … I hope I am not doing anything wrong here … :unsure:

But great, that you fixed some of the other art board related bugs … thanks …  :)

Cheers, Alex

Cool!

To tryout the canvas rotate feature, I setup my canvas rotate key shorts to ll for rotate left and rr for rotate right. Works like a charm. If you hold each key down it rotates the canvas continuously. Nice! Now just to get the grids to update automatically would be da bomb! Currently you have to hide and show to update a grid on a rotated canvas. Still, it's a nice solution so far.

Edit: actually command-; will redraw the grid too and it's a bit quicker...

the image file has unfortunately an error and the beta can not be installed.

I've had success in the past with this in Affinity betas and others. I believe gatekeeper didn't finish verifying the app on first launch, and now claims its damaged for some reason. Maybe because it sees it as unsigned by a trusted developer?

Go to system preferences, then security, then allow installing of apps from anywhere. Then try to run the app again. You can switch gatekeeper back on again afterward.

Minor, but annoying bug, one that seems to have been around for a while. It is in the Mac App Store version and all the latest beta versions, including this one.

The Effects > Outer Shadow > Color (selector) RGB Hex Slider > # (field) is not selectable with a double mouse click, actually this occurs with all the color palettes in the Effects area. The cursor can be placed in the field; however, you cannot double click the current value to select it. Nor can you click and drag to highlight. The only options are to use cmd+a or use the arrow key to move the cursor to the end of the string and hit the delete key to remove the current value.

Also, it would be nice if when focusing on fields like this and others (e.g., Transform: X, Y, W, H, R, S) to have the current value automatically be highlighted, since the majority of the time, the value is being overwritten.

Thanks so much

-Artboards cloned from other artboards should now inherit their grids.. ;) 

Brilliant. Thanks.

About me: Trainer at Apple, Freelance Video Editor, Motion Graphics Artist, Website Designer, Photographer. Yes I like creating things!!!

Instagram:https://www.instagram.com/mystrawberrymonkey/

Twitter: @StrawberryMnky  @imAllanThompson

Web: mystrawberrymonkey.com  Portfolio: behance.net/allanthompson

YouTube: Affinity Designer & Photo Tutorials

The left and right brackets for rotate view should be the default keyboard equivalents, as they work natively with Wacom tablets as existing users expect. I've also added them as custom shortcuts. Great tip, thanks @GreyGhost.

Purpose: Features / Improvements / Fixes 

Requirements: Purchased Affinity Designer
Mac App Store: Not Submitted
Download: Here

To use this beta, simply download the file from the link given above and double-click on the file to open the installer. Follow the instructions to install the beta version. The beta sits alongside the Mac App Store version and will not interfere with it. Please note that if you use features which are only present in the Beta version then save your document, it will no longer open in the Mac App Store version.

This is a Release Candidate build. It is our intention to submit this for review to Apple in the first week of December. Any help you could offer to stabilise and refine the product at this stage will be very gratefully received  :)  We won't be implementing any new features now for this version and we will be focusing on stabilising the product for the immediate future. We will obviously start adding more features again as soon as this update goes live.

Features / Improvements / Fixes

- PSD import improvements

- Snapping and ruler drawing tweaks
- Fix for dark background accidentally displayed around artboards on some machines
- Fix for canvas rotation showing artefacts on non-retina machines and occasional flicker
- Fix for certain Type 1 fonts failing to work if they don’t contain cmap data
- Fix for path text crashing when the nodes of a path are deleted
- Fix for sharing to Photos/Aperture occasionally producing a low resolution image
- Artboard labels can now contain emojis and special characters, just like layer names
- Allow dropping images onto the pasteboard of an artboard document
- Restore with the correct panels visible on application startup
- Improved PDF export - particularly with spot colours and gradients
- Artboards cloned from other artboards should now inherit their grids and also export options
- Disable gradient tool options when there is no selection as they don’t achieve anything

I've used the left bracket [ and right bracket ] and the equals = for resetting the document to its origin. I find the three keys work well as they form the perfect triangle.

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Ventura 13.6

2018 11" iPad Pro w/ A12X cpu/gpu, 256 GB, iPadOS 17

Can you tell us anything about your setup? Is it just the letter I? Are you in separated mode? Multiple documents opened? System language and keyboard language?

It’s any letter, not just ‘I’. Mode doesn’t matter, happens in window and separated mode with any document, a single newly created one or multiple open. The system language is German, the UI language is English (but happens also in “default”). The OS is El Capitan, by the way. Not sure what else I could provide.

Maybe I'm the only one with this issue, but a couple of settings in the pdf export (more) panel are not changeable. Se my previous post:

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/15091-affinity-designer-customer-beta-13510/?p=67867

Maybe compulsory 85% jpg compression is "da shit" and should not be tuned?

OSX Maverick.

I've used the left bracket [ and right bracket ] and the equals = for resetting the document to its origin. I find the three keys work well as they form the perfect triangle.

That’s actually a great idea, GreyGhost … on a German keyboard you can use “ö”, “ä”, and “#” for that purpose … works like a charm, and you have them all on a single line …  :)

I found an small issue in the current version:

When creating a new raster it was possible to jump from one textbook to another using the tab key, this is not longer possible.

The first press of the tab key disables the current text field and the second shows / hides the UI controls.

Hi there,

I wondered about this as well … does anyone need Boolean operations for art boards at the moment?  :unsure:

• When I Boolean-add two art boards, the result is a vector shape, but this shape disappears as soon as it is deselected.
  • When I Boolean-add an art board to a vector shape (on the pasteboard), the result is often a crash …  :o

So I ask myself if it would be a good idea to disable Boolean operations for art boards, at least for the upcoming release, and add them maybe later? Hmm … Anyway, do you need a crash report? 

Cheers, Alex  :)

EDIT Oh, I’ve seen that predick reported a similar issue in another thread … sorry for the duplicate.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.