You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Request: Linear Burn Layer Blending

It would be nice to have a linear burn blending option amongst the layer blending modes. Per Wikipedia:

Specifically, I'm looking for something that Wikipedia describes as:

The Linear Burn mode sums the value in the two layers and subtracts 1. This is the same as inverting each layer, adding them together (as in Linear Dodge), and then inverting the result. Blending with white leaves the image unchanged.

• 1 year later...

I thought it  was a bug of my windows beta version, I couldn't believe it wasn't implemented..

It would be nice also to have, together with the implementation of this blending mode, the equivalent of Photoshop's "Fill" and not just "Opacity", otherwise this mode (and other as well, namely Color Burn, Linear Burn, Color Dodge,  Add (Linear Dodge), Soft Light, Overlay, Hard Light, Vivid Light, Linear Light, Hard Mix, and Difference ) it's not that much useful, because "Fill" operates somehow on the intensity of the blend mode, not just the degree of its visibility (i.e. its opacity).

• 6 months later...

I hope this blending mode is added too since I used it with Photoshop. The only workaround I found is to duplicate the color burn layer, change the duplicate's blending mode to multiply, and then mix their opacities until I get a "linear burnlike" result.

Affinity Photo 2.4.2 for Windows  OS: Windows 10 Pro x64 ver. 22H2  CPU: AMD Ryzen 7950X 16-core  RAM: 64 GB DDR5-6400  GPU: MSI GeForce RTX 3090 Suprim X 24GB / driver 526.98  NVMe SSD Samsung 980 Pro 1 TB  Monitors: 2x Eizo ColorEdge CS2420 24"

• 5 months later...

We can invert the layer and apply the Subtract mode to achieve exactly the same result as Linear Burn. But this is not the way for brushes, layer effects, etc.

Besides, PSD files containing Linear Burn mode not imported correctly.

This the standard mode, which is present in all other graphics programs and used in the books and tutorials, should be added to the Affinity.

• 8 months later...