You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How can I select all the pixels written in a layer?

In pohotoshop I click on the command key and at the same time on the thumbnail of the layer and select all the written pixels, when I drag all of them move. However in affinity photo with this method not all are selected. Is there another method?

I want to do this to create a new layer with this shape and to be able to paint on it and other things.

Pd: how can I insert a video in the forum?

a.photo.mov

ps.mov

This is almost apples and oranges in that the structure of the documents for the demonstration are radically different.

Photoshop, a simple two layer doc

8184627_ScreenShot2021-11-11at7_27_21AM.png.b90058006743326f142a8628f3cf9da5.png

Photo, much more complex

1631784662_ScreenShot2021-11-11at7_26_53AM.png.461a2e1851f353414512cef5acbbb183.png

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

@rvsf

Played with some brushstrokes on a pixel layer and yes the Command + Click is pitiful for choosing a selection of pixel if there is any sort of transparency. Actually not Pitiful but Useless.

Postscript : Your new video shows this much clearer.

Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

38 minutes ago, MEB said:

Hi @rvsf,
My apologies. I did see the video but not up to the end when you moved the selection. I'm checking this with the dev team. Thanks for raising it up.

39 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

This is almost apples and oranges in that the structure of the documents for the demonstration are radically different.

Photoshop, a simple two layer doc

Photo, much more complex

Layers don't matter, here is an example from 0.

It happens to me with all images that have pixels with opacity lower than 100%.

sorry, I got confused when I inserted the video, here it is correct:

12 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

@rvsf

Played with some brushstrokes on a pixel layer and yes the Command + Click is pitiful for choosing a selection of pixel if there is any sort of transparency. Actually not Pitiful but Useless.

Postscript : Your new video shows this much clearer.

thanks for understanding now!  as you say it is with transparencies, can you think how I can paint a new colour on a shape without selecting all the pixels?

10 minutes ago, rvsf said:

can you think how I can paint a new colour on a shape without selecting all the pixels?

I would use the selection tools, set the tolerance low and select the transparent background, then invert the background. Going to take a lot of messing about practising to get the right sort of settings to achieve it.

Hello @rvsf,

I don't fully understand what you want to achieve.

If you want the same behavior as shown in your video for Photoshop (i.e. moving the complete layer without leaving 'traces'), there is no need to use CMD/(CTRL)+click on thumbnail. Simply select the layer in the layer panel, and use the Move tool to move everything. There will be no 'traces' visible.

With CMD/(CTRL) + thumbnail, you actually create a selection, based on the layer's transparency (similar as menu option Select | Selection from Layer, or CTRL-SHIFT-O shortcut). For layers that have pixels with (partial) transparency, this transparency translates into 'partial' selections of pixels. Because each transparent pixel is thus partially selected, you'll have remaining traces visible when you move the selection. This explains what you see in the video for Affinity.

If you want to select the full set of pixels that have no or partial transparency, you can achieve this, via the menu command Select | Alpha Range | Select Fully Transparent, and then invert this selection. It's maybe a bit more complicated, but this is how it works in Affinity... You may consider to create a shortcut to select the fully transparent pixels, and then apply CTRL+SHIFT+I to invert this selection (or use the button for this in the toolbar).

Hope it helps...

Kind regards.

Windows 10 Pro - 21H1 | AMD Ryzen 9 3900X - 12 core - 3.8 GHz | 32GB DDR4 - 3.6 GHz RAM | Nvidia RTX 3060 - 12GB VRAM | 2TB SSD Samsung 970 EVO Plus | Wacom Intuos 4M

Full Affinity Suite (Photo, Designer & Publisher): all version 1.10.5.1342 with HW acceleration ON, Nvidia Studio drivers up-to-date (511.65)

Capture One for Sony v.22 (build 15.1.1.2) | Nik Collection (DXO version 4.3.3) | Topaz AI (Denoise 3.6.1, Sharpen 4.1.0 & Gigapixel 5.8.0)

1 hour ago, i5963c said:

Hello @rvsf,

I don't fully understand what you want to achieve.

If you want the same behavior as shown in your video for Photoshop (i.e. moving the complete layer without leaving 'traces'), there is no need to use CMD/(CTRL)+click on thumbnail. Simply select the layer in the layer panel, and use the Move tool to move everything. There will be no 'traces' visible.

With CMD/(CTRL) + thumbnail, you actually create a selection, based on the layer's transparency (similar as menu option Select | Selection from Layer, or CTRL-SHIFT-O shortcut). For layers that have pixels with (partial) transparency, this transparency translates into 'partial' selections of pixels. Because each transparent pixel is thus partially selected, you'll have remaining traces visible when you move the selection. This explains what you see in the video for Affinity.

If you want to select the full set of pixels that have no or partial transparency, you can achieve this, via the menu command Select | Alpha Range | Select Fully Transparent, and then invert this selection. It's maybe a bit more complicated, but this is how it works in Affinity... You may consider to create a shortcut to select the fully transparent pixels, and then apply CTRL+SHIFT+I to invert this selection (or use the button for this in the toolbar).

Hope it helps...

Kind regards.

Thank you very much! I prefer the behaviour when moving to be like photoshop, but for now, the step mode you advised me is useful.