You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How Apple Photos and Affinity Photos should work together

One of the things that really bugged me about my PS / LR workflow is the way that Photos would get passed back and forth between the two apps. With a typical workflow you start with a Photo in LR and then need to send it to PS to do something that LR can't do. LR makes a copy of the photo so when you are done editing it you now have two similar photos in your library. If you decide you want to edit the photo again you now have three copies and then four etc.

The way this operation should really work is you make an adjustment in Apple's upcoming Photos app, say move the brightness to 27, and then when you export the file to Affinity Photo it uses the same photo instead of a copy of the photo. You should then see your brightness adjustment of 27 in Affinity Photo and then be able to make an adjustment to the brightness again to 15 which should then show up in the settings to Apple's app as you return back to it.

I can understand some of the reasons why Adobe's workflow was clumsy, they were trying to get a 17 year old app to work with a brand new app after all. But now that both Apple and Affinity are both starting out at version 1 and at essentially the exact same time let's try and get the way this works under control.  I disagree with many people on this forum that Adobe's photo solution works pretty well I think there is a huge opportunity for taking on Adobe in this area.

I wonder if there is a way for the developers to work closely with Apple on this? Even though the products are made by different companies Affinity could really use an app for navigating photos and Apple could use a Photoshop like app to work with it. I know Yosemite will have extensions will that make it easy for the two programs to work together?